The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaro/Boss Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preparing for my first track day I was made aware that most tracks recommend the installation of a fire extinguisher mount in your car. I have even participated in car shows where the promoters require each participant to have access to a fire extinguisher for insurance purposes. With that I began my search for a quick release mount that would work in the Boss. I was really impressed with the mounts made by Brey-Krause. Excellent, and beautiful machining. However, I also noticed you would have to buy a mount bar that would need to be installed in order to use the BK quick release.

With that, my brain was on a slow boil. How about making a mount that would clamp directly onto the seat adjust bar eliminating the need for any other auxiliary accessory?

I came up with this design that is made specifically for the Boss Mustang with the Recaro seat option. Or any Mustang equipped with the Recaro seat option.

All pieces of this quick release mount are CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Units are assembled with 304 stainless steel socket head cap screws. The mount assembled weighs a mere 2.1 pounds. This quick release mount is designed to work with Amerex 2-1/2 pound fire extinguishers with a 3.00" diameter casing. For reference the Amerex model numbers are B403 or the B403T. The extinguisher mounted in the photos has a B-C rating, and is preferred for your automobile. Fire extinguishers which also carry the A rating do so because of its properties to fight wood and paper fires. A fire extinguisher using a Halon agent is highly recommended for automobiles as these agents leave virtually no residue if used. Expensive, but well worth their added price. Please keep in mind that a 2-1/2 pound fire extinguisher gives you approximately 10 seconds of fire fighting capability before the extinguisher is exhausted.

I have tested this mount for rigidity and ease of use and have made additional quick release mounts to offer for sale here to all BMO members. The receiver clamps to your passenger seat adjust bar and accepts the fire extinguisher mount by simply sliding this mount into the receiver and inserting the PULL pin. To use, simply pull the red PULL pin, and slide fire extinguisher and its mount forward. Receiver remains mounted to the seat adjust bar. Each quick release mount comes supplied with detailed mounting instructions, along with the proper long arm Allen key wrenches for installation. Each mount is anodized in black, with the CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum pull pin anodized in red.

For those interested in adding this mount to your Boss price is $185.00 and this includes USPS shipping to your address of choice. To purchase this quick release mount please email me at [email protected] for payment options. I prefer Pay-Pal.
DSC_0002-12_zps701c9917.jpg
DSC_0003-16_zpsb31e6184.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
that looks really nice. 99.9% sure that the bar you have it attaching to is the same on the base bosses and all other mustangs with manual seat tracks.

Justin said:
that looks really nice. 99.9% sure that the bar you have it attaching to is the same on the base bosses and all other mustangs with manual seat tracks.
Justin, you may be correct. As long as the manual seat adjust bar is 1/2" in diameter, and has atleast 4.00" of flat length, this fire extinguisher mount would fit correctly.

However, I do not want to mis-lead anyone, and hence I am only marketing this quick release mount to the seats that I am familiar with, and that this mount was designed for.

Thank you for the kind words.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mardis said:
Justin, you may be correct. As long as the manual seat adjust bar is 1/2" in diameter, and has atleast 4.00" of flat length, this fire extinguisher mount would fit correctly.

However, I do not want to mis-lead anyone, and hence I am only marketing this quick release mount to the seats that I am familiar with, and that this mount was designed for.

Thank you for the kind words.
No problem. when I get back home I can measure mine to see if its the same dimensions I have a base boss no options.

Very nice setup.. Would you have the part number for the halon extinguisher.
Interested in bracket .. thanks

Sorry, I do not have a model number for the Halon extinguisher.

Two options I would consider is first...go into your company or any local store and find the nearest fire extinguisher. By law every fire extinguisher needs to be checked annually by a reputable fire service company or fire department. Look for the annual inspection tag, and on it will list the name of the company that inspected that particular extinguisher. Nine out of ten times they also sell fire extinguishers. These companies are usually local also, so write down their contact info and give them a call with what you are looking for. You will want a 2-1/2 pound fire extiguisher filled with the Halon agent, and the casing (OD) of the fire extinguisher should be 3.00"

Second would be to contact Track Day Solutions, a sponsor here at BMO. TDS carries the appropriate extinguisher with the correct Halon supression agent. TDS can be found at www.trackdaysolutions.com

I hope this helps, and thank you.

Bump for price drop.

I assumed there would be a larger demand for this quick release, but alas, you win a few and lose a few.

With that, I have decided to cease the manufacture of these quality quick release mounts and drop the price to $160.00 each until they are sold out. Price includes shipping to address of your choice.

If interested please PM or email me at: [email protected]

Thank you again for looking.

I live in draught-plagued Texas and cars burn down just because they go off track, stall, and then promptly set the dry grass on fire. Also, it's my birthday month so...I'm in! :D

Looks to be very nice quality. I will report back when I get mine.

Justin said:
i would like to have one but I have the base boss and its to steep for me to buy if it doesnt work.

Totally understandable Justin. I just wish I had access to the seats provided in the base Boss. If the adjust bar is 1/2" in diameter, and there is a minimum of 4.00" of flat, non-radiused, length of said bar, it will fit. Again, as I mentioned before, I cannot guarantee fitment though.

Jimmy Pribble said:
I live in draught-plagued Texas and cars burn down just because they go off track, stall, and then promptly set the dry grass on fire. Also, it's my birthday month so...I'm in! :D

Looks to be very nice quality. I will report back when I get mine.

Thank you again J! Payment received, and mount will ship tomorrow. 7-9-13. Please let me know what you think once she arrives.

I have had a few emails about more detailed photos on how this mount actually works.

I hope this helps, and thank you all for the interest. Photos are of my 17 year old son demonstrating the release from the drivers seat. He is 5'7", skinny, and yes...we do feed him. Oh to have that metabolism again!
DSC_0001_zps9acca429.jpg
DSC_0002_zpsc464dac9.jpg
DSC_0003_zpsd65318c6.jpg

Just as a quick question, is there some form of rubber isolator or something of the sort to stop any unnecessary scuffing on the rail in which the two halves sandwich together?

azazell64 said:
Just as a quick question, is there some form of rubber isolator or something of the sort to stop any unnecessary scuffing on the rail in which the two halves sandwich together?

Good question, but no there is no foam or rubber isolator.

In my mounting instructions I recommend wrapping the adjust bar in three places with one wrap, in each spot, of black electrical tape. This helps protect the finish of the seat adjust bar in case you ever remove the mount.

Excellent, thanks for the reply. I will check on the fund situation and let you know. Do you know off hand how many of these you currently have left in stock?

GA
mardis said:
Bump for price drop.

I assumed there would be a larger demand for this quick release, but alas, you win a few and lose a few.

With that, I have decided to cease the manufacture of these quality quick release mounts and drop the price to $160.00 each until they are sold out. Price includes shipping to address of your choice.

If interested please PM or email me at: [email protected]

Thank you again for looking.

It is a nice unit and fills a need. You should do some more research to find out what other vehicles this is compatible with to expand your market segements.

azazell64 said:
Excellent, thanks for the reply. I will check on the fund situation and let you know. Do you know off hand how many of these you currently have left in stock?

Thank you, I currently have 4 left.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I want one.
PM sent to [email protected]

YellowJacketBoss302...thank you for the interest, as of today, I have not received your email. Please try again, or shoot me a PM here through the BMO. I apologize for the inconvenience.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel