The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Recaro/Boss Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, I must be doing something wrong here...

I have tried 3" extinguishers from Sports Academy, Napa Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Advanced Auto Parts, Auto Zone, and even 2 different local fire stations and NONE of them fit in the bracket... Can't even get the extinguisher to start to go in... they are all to large, not by much, but enough to where it doesn't just "Slide On"...

So is it me? Or I just haven't found the right extinguisher yet? I have tried First-Aid, Shield, Kinddle, HomeSafe, FireExpert, and a couple other brands... Same result...

Please help! Its gota be something I am doing...

rpm3dinc said:
Ok, I must be doing something wrong here...

I have tried 3" extinguishers from Sports Academy, Napa Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Advanced Auto Parts, Auto Zone, and even 2 different local fire stations and NONE of them fit in the bracket... Can't even get the extinguisher to start to go in... they are all to large, not by much, but enough to where it doesn't just "Slide On"...

So is it me? Or I just haven't found the right extinguisher yet? I have tried First-Aid, Shield, Kinddle, HomeSafe, FireExpert, and a couple other brands... Same result...

Please help! Its gota be something I am doing...

The quick release fire mounts are designed to accept AMEREX brand 3.00" diameter casings. This may be the problem. The mount has a very close tolerance machined to accept the extinguishers. The diameter of the mounting rings is machined at 3.060". This gives a mere .060 of clearance for the extinguisher casing. Too big and it will not hold the extinguisher tight.

If you can find a dealer that reps the AMEREX brand fire extinguishers I think you will be golden.

I am very sorry for your troubles.

Mark-
The mount arrived today. It is in undamaged condition and appears to be a well thought out and manufactured item. Thank you for taking the time to create it!
Cheers,
Brad

Finally found an Amerex fire extingusher and it fits like a glove, the pull pin was a little difficult to get in due to the super tight tolerance of the design, but a little cussing and I got it in.

Looks great!

athens7 said:
Mark-
The mount arrived today. It is in undamaged condition and appears to be a well thought out and manufactured item. Thank you for taking the time to create it!
Cheers,
Brad

Brad,

Good deal! I am happy you got one, and I thank you for the very kind words. It is really appreciated.

rpm3dinc said:
Finally found an Amerex fire extingusher and it fits like a glove, the pull pin was a little difficult to get in due to the super tight tolerance of the design, but a little cussing and I got it in.

Looks great!

Very happy you found one that fits, for a minute I was beginning to second guess my machining skills. LOL. Like the instructions state, this mount WAS designed for the AMEREX 2-1/2 pound extinguishers as these are a high quality unit, and very affordable if you go with the B-C rated extinguisher.

mcmmotorsports said:
and these will be available again when?

Interest in the mount would be the deciding factor. I can't make one off's economically, 10-12 would be the least I would make again, and that does not look like any time soon. Maybe towards Christmas would be a good time. The season is over, and wives need ideas for their better halves. We will see, but again, not any time soon. Thank you for the interest though.

steveespo said:
I think production run is over. Collectors item. Really well done.
Steve

Thank you again Steve! Your words are truly appreciated. Yep, one of ten...should have signed them. LOL.

The Hottie is looking good. How much longer?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Car is close to being back on the road. This week have a few mechanical details with installing fender wells, Splitter, tail lights and the like. Also have race seat arriving Wednesday so will be doing harnesses and the seat install. It's going well. I hope I never need this:
View attachment

Steve

fireextinguisher_1.jpg

Finally got my extinguisher and can report that the HalGuard H3R 2.5 lbs. is almost a perfect fit. Just a single wrap of electrical tape or in my case, a little stick-on rubber pad, is all it takes for a snug fit. I got black, because I'm pimp. 8)

Link to Amazon.com:
http://tinyurl.com/HalGuard

About $149

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel