The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Parts bin engineering - GT350 front wheel hubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
A while ago I was trying to figure out if the set of GT500 all season tires I use for fall and early spring would fit my new GT350. They're 265/40x19 and 285/40x19 on genuine Ford 2013/14 GT500 base (silver) rims. All four tires are on 19x9.5 front rims.

It turns out they almost fit, but the GT500 front rims need a spacer to clear the brakes - about 15mm or so. The good thing about 15mm spacers is that they're truly hub-centric. The bad thing is, they need longer studs. What's also good about 15mm spacers is that you get pretty much the stock offset - ET44 becomes ET29 and the stock GT350 rim is ET30.

The other thing I was trying to figure out was how to run a square set of 11" rear rims on the car when my MPSC2 tires (in "R" sizes) come. It turns out that a stock GT350 11" rear rim with a 1.5" spacer behind it is dimensionally the same as a stock GT350R front rim. 19x11 ET24.

So, how do you make all this work? Well, the Motorcraft HUB-299 is the OEM replacement front wheel hub for a GT350R. The CF rims are thick at the mounting point and the R front hub comes with studs that are about 40mm longer than the stock GT350 front studs. The R hub with the long studs gives you the option to use 2013/14 GT500 rims, rear GT350 rims as front rims and if you get a 25mm spacer, you can run the N4SM 19x11 ET 50 rims square as well. And if someone ever blows out a set of R CF rims on EBay, you can install a set of HUB-308's on the back and run the CF's all around!

Today, I swapped out my stock GT350 hubs with a pair of HUB-299's. If you have the right tools, it takes about half an hour to change each one. The process is simple - put the car up in the air. I have a lift, but stands will work fine, so long as both front tires are off the ground so you can rotate the steering wheel to improve access to the bolt heads.

Take the front tires off and remove the brake rotors. To keep the calipers under control, I bought the long m14x2 bolts described in another post on this forum and they make it pretty simple. Remove the upper T60 caliper bolt and replace it with a long bolt screwed in about 5 turns, then remove the lower T60 bolt, slide the caliper out and lift off the rotor. Also, take off the wheel speed sensor so it's out of the way of the wrenches you'll be using on the hub retainer bolts. It's on the back of knuckle about half way between the two front hub mounting bolts. You'll need a 7mm socket. Don't forget to put it back when you're done. I used a pair of cheap pry-bars (grey square shafts, black square handles - they're everywhere) back-to-back to pry my brake pads apart just a fraction so they're easy to slide over the rotors later.

Swapping the actual hubs is pretty easy, although each of the four retainer bolts comes off easiest with a slightly different tool. If you've got a 3/8 drive socket set with a long flex handle, a torque wrench good to 100ft-lbs and an 18mm crow-foot wrench (socket), you'll get them swapped pretty quickly. An 18mm box wrench and an 18mm flex-head ratcheting box wrench are very helpful too, but not essential. Position the steering wheel to improve access and use new bolts and torque to 98 ft-lbs. I was amazed at how accessible the bolt heads were - usually these kinds of bolts are buried behind a forest of obstructions, but not these ones! Also, as I said earlier, don't forget to reinstall the wheel speed sensor.

I put on a set of H&R 15mm hub-centric spacers and mounted up the GT500 rims and tires. I used GM OEM open end wheel nuts pn 9595174 and torqued them to 145 ft-lbs. The Michelin AS/3's drive really well and they're quieter than the MPSS's. Not surprising, really. I've got a set of new-take-off 2014 GT500 Performance Pack rims that might look better on my black GT350 than the silver base rims - I'll give them a try next weekend. My other decision point comes up when I get my MPSC2's - will I mount them on a regular front-rear GT350 rim set (I have a set) or on 4 rear rims (yep, got them too)? Time will tell - stay tuned.

Re: Parts bin engineering - front wheel hubs

John thanks for the great write up. For the track I'm running the N4SM 19x11 et50 wheels square with 305/30/19 PSC2's. I ordered a custom hub centric spacer with additional material removed for weight savings from Motorsport Tech and will post photos when they arrive. The 25mm spacer should give me 1-2mm of additional clearance between the wheel and strut compared to the stock 19x11 CF wheel on the R. Additionally I used the ARP longer 1/2" front studs from CorteX but it appears ARP and Ford Performance now have 14mm studs in S550 fitment. There is just enough length on the ARP studs and I'm using the Ford Racing full size open lug nut. They will fit but you'll need a thin walled 21mm or 13/16" socket. The studs should be available separately soon.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

I look forward to seeing how your setup looks on your car. The aesthetics of the R studs sticking out of your stock front wheels may not be the best so when the ARP studs become available that might be a better option.

Do the GM lug nuts use a 21 or 22mm socket?

The lug nut on the left is the full size one.

2F3E7526-9A98-43F4-BD8B-02BA777A01F4_zpsjedstgho.jpg

In the V6L

tim said:
How long are the studs? Under head length? to buy the studs from Ford is twice the cost of buying the hub with the studs LOL.

The underhead length is 96mm - they're threaded right to the end.

In the V6L

VoodooBOSS said:
John thanks for the great write up. For the track I'm running the N4SM 19x11 et50 wheels square with 305/30/19 PSC2's. I ordered a custom hub centric spacer with additional material removed for weight savings from Motorsport Tech and will post photos when they arrive. The 25mm spacer should give me 1-2mm of additional clearance between the wheel and strut compared to the stock 19x11 CF wheel on the R. Additionally I used the ARP longer 1/2" front studs from CorteX but it appears ARP and Ford Performance now have 14mm studs in S550 fitment. There is just enough length on the ARP studs and I'm using the Ford Racing full size open lug nut. They will fit but you'll need a thin walled 21mm or 13/16" socket. The studs should be available separately soon.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

I look forward to seeing how your setup looks on your car. The aesthetics of the R studs sticking out of your stock front wheels may not be the best so when the ARP studs become available that might be a better option.

Do the GM lug nuts use a 21 or 22mm socket?

The lug nut on the left is the full size one.

I'll take a picture of each combination when I get the car washed - I did a 500 mile drive last Wednesday and it's filthy and covered with bugs. You're right, the R studs stick out quite a ways. Actually, part of the attraction of putting my PSC2's on the standard GT350 10.5/11.0 rims is that I won't need the 1.5" spacers or the full length studs. Ten minutes with a Sawzall will give me new shorter studs that are the right length to use deep closed-end lug nuts with stock rims and regular closed-end lug nuts with the GT500 rims. On the other hand, if I want to go 11" square setup for the PSC2's, then I'll just have to live with the exposed studs when I'm running other wheels. Once track season is over, switching back to the regular GT350 hubs is pretty quick and easy.

The GM lug nuts need a 22mm socket. There's a Gorilla brand open end lug nut with similar dimensions to the GM that takes a 13/16 socket - I have a set of them too.

The best thin-wall 13/16 socket I've ever found is an old Craftsman spark plug socket that's been in my toolbox for decades. It's 3/8 drive and I've used it many times to put stock Ford lug nuts into tuner type rims. The nuts were ok across the widest part, but the usual 13/16" thinwall socket just wouldn't fit down the hole. This socket is both thin enough to fit down the hole and strong enough to torque the lug nuts to full torque.

Hey guys, just joined the forum and hope it's okay to dig up this old thread. I am planning to run the N4SM 19x11 rims square, but hate to use wheel spacers if I don't have to. Could someone elaborate on the HUB-299 from the R? Is the only difference the stud length? I already have ARP studs, so not an issue there.

Thanks!

Goodale Engineering said:
Hey guys, just joined the forum and hope it's okay to dig up this old thread. I am planning to run the N4SM 19x11 rims square, but hate to use wheel spacers if I don't have to. Could someone elaborate on the HUB-299 from the R? Is the only difference the stud length? I already have ARP studs, so not an issue there.

Thanks!
Welcome to TMO. The only difference is the length of the wheel studs.

In the V6L
Goodale Engineering said:
... I am planning to run the N4SM 19x11 rims square, but hate to use wheel spacers if I don't have to. Could someone elaborate on the HUB-299 from the R? Is the only difference the stud length? I already have ARP studs, so not an issue there...

As VoodooBOSS said, the hubs are mechanically identical except for the stud length. You can buy HUB299's or FR3Z-1104-D's and you'll get the exact same part.

On your other point, the widest rim you can run front and rear without spacers and stay within the mechanical limits of the OEM rims is a 10" ET37 with a 285 width tire. On the front the 10"-ET37 inner flange will sit the same distance from the strut as the inner flange on an 11" "R" rim. At the rear, the 10"-ET37 outer flange will be the same distance from the fender as the outer flange of a 11.5" "R" rim.

In the real world, you might get away with a 10.5" rim and a 295, but there'd probably be rubbing at both ends with anything wider.

Swapping the actual hubs is pretty easy, although each of the four retainer bolts comes off easiest with a slightly different tool. If you've got a 3/8 drive socket set with a long flex handle, a torque wrench good to 100ft-lbs and an 18mm crow-foot wrench (socket), you'll get them swapped pretty quickly. An 18mm box wrench and an 18mm flex-head ratcheting box wrench are very helpful too, but not essential. Position the steering wheel to improve access and use new bolts and torque to 98 ft-lbs. I was amazed at how accessible the bolt heads were - usually these kinds of bolts are buried behind a forest of obstructions, but not these ones! Also, as I said earlier, don't forget to reinstall the wheel speed sensor.
After removing my GT350 hubs last weekend I realized what a PITA is was to remove the four bolts. Almost as bad as the back caliper bolts. ;) Anyway I don't own an 18mm 3/8" socket (only 1/2" drive) nor do I own an 18mm crows foot. While I do own an 18mm ratcheting box wrench it's not a flex head. I was able to get the hubs off, replace the 1/2" for 14mm wheel studs, and get it all back together. Then of course I couldn't torque them properly so I got them Just Tight Enough. :eek: Anyway what I'm wondering is if any of you other crack mechanics have removed the hubs and if there are any other tools that might work better than what @JAJ suggested or if you have any other tips. One tip I have is be careful with the ratcheting wrench. As I was backing out one of the bolts I went too far and almost couldn't get the wrench off the bolt because it had backed up again the strut. If no other tips I'll buy an 18mm 3/8" drive socket and crows foot.

In the V6L
After removing my GT350 hubs last weekend I realized what a PITA is was to remove the four bolts. Almost as bad as the back caliper bolts. ;) Anyway I don't own an 18mm 3/8" socket (only 1/2" drive) nor do I own an 18mm crows foot. While I do own an 18mm ratcheting box wrench it's not a flex head. I was able to get the hubs off, replace the 1/2" for 14mm wheel studs, and get it all back together. Then of course I couldn't torque them properly so I got them Just Tight Enough. :eek: Anyway what I'm wondering is if any of you other crack mechanics have removed the hubs and if there are any other tools that might work better than what @JAJ suggested or if you have any other tips. One tip I have is be careful with the ratcheting wrench. As I was backing out one of the bolts I went too far and almost couldn't get the wrench off the bolt because it had backed up again the strut. If no other tips I'll buy an 18mm 3/8" drive socket and crows foot.

Is there a whining sound coming from under your car?

I found that out the hard way :(

Will installing this part FR3Z-1104-D (HUB-299) fix the length issue? I ordered a set of them from tasca online. I haven't had it confirmed, but from what I've read, they come with the R studs installed. Did they come with them when you got the front hubs?

In the V6L
Yes, the HUB-299 is the OEM GT350R hub so the studs are the right length, and yes, they come complete with the studs installed. You can either choose to re-use the original mounting bolts or get new ones - they're cheap and I'd recommend replacing them as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors