The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2006 Mustang GT 3V FRPP Radiator Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Utah
I put this FRPP radiator in the car about 5 years ago. It and the car have performed very well over the last 5 years through 3 years of HPDE and 2 years of TT. Had a hot track weekend last week, 99-103 in Utah. The car never got above 235 on the gauge and as always, performed well. The car has the AC deleted, including the condenser and I run Nomex in front of the radiator for protection.

During my post weekend “return car to street” routine, I noticed leaking at the top corners of the radiator, apparently from the core where the tubes are mated to the end plates.

Has any one else seen this type of issue using the FRPP radiator, or any other radiator for that matter?

To complicate the issue, I am a bit suspect of my hood pin mounting location. 5 years ago it looked like a great place, but now I wonder if I am transferring vibration or other stresses onto the radiator through my hood pins. Opinions on that are welcome.

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_4313.jpeg

Utah
OK... Crickets... I guess I should have asked about the best "street and track pad" or what oil to use...

Turns out the radiator shop used to fix the radiators for the Ford Racing School and did a lot of these over the years. Sounds like a problem. I think I will re-work my hood pins, just for grins.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I run the Capaldi radiator. So, I cant speak for the Ford unit.
It does look like the core has separated/cracked away from the end plate. Can it be repaired?? I have no idea with aluminum. I had a repair done to the outside of the tank, long/wrong bolt issue.
Have you reached out to any speed shops, race teams in your area for advice. One of my co-workers turned me on to a local welder who was able to fix my radiator. His family owned a dirt track in the area and they know everyone in the area. Cant hurt to reach out.
Do you still have the stock unit to stick back in while having repairs done?

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I had a Fluidyne radiator leak around the core so I bought a new radiator. Is that not an option? If Mishimoto makes a radiator for those cars I'd look into that. They have a lifetime warranty.

I doubt the hood pins had an effect, the radiator is isolated on the rubber bushings. I don't think it would introduce anymore vibration than normal in my opinion.

Utah
I run the Capaldi radiator. So, I cant speak for the Ford unit.
It does look like the core has separated/cracked away from the end plate. Can it be repaired?? I have no idea with aluminum. I had a repair done to the outside of the tank, long/wrong bolt issue.
Have you reached out to any speed shops, race teams in your area for advice. One of my co-workers turned me on to a local welder who was able to fix my radiator. His family owned a dirt track in the area and they know everyone in the area. Cant hurt to reach out.
Do you still have the stock unit to stick back in while having repairs done?

Yes, the shop I took it to can repair it. I am still deciding if I am going to run the repaired radiator, or buy a new one and mount that. We used to use the Ford Racing school as our primary resource, until they moved out of town. It was always nice to be at the track knowing there were a few dozen Mustangs back in the garages and friendly mechanics!

Utah
I had a Fluidyne radiator leak around the core so I bought a new radiator. Is that not an option? If Mishimoto makes a radiator for those cars I'd look into that. They have a lifetime warranty.

I doubt the hood pins had an effect, the radiator is isolated on the rubber bushings. I don't think it would introduce anymore vibration than normal in my opinion.

Yes, looking at the Mishimoto for sure. Thanks for the feedback on the hood pins. I thought it was OK, but always good to bounce it off others.

Thanks

I would have recommended a Ron Davis,and I apologize for not seeing this sooner. We used the Ford school to change and engine out in the PWC series (after they bent us over with the BoP) they basically gave us reign of the place.

Utah
The Mishimoto unit is in the car. Warmed things up and it looks good. Front splitter is back on. Should be back on the road tomorrow.

The Mishimoto radiator is about 2 inches taller than the FRPP radiator (notice my nomex does't quite go to the top, but that part of the radiator is shadowed by the front suppoprt), is 2" thick vs 2 3/8" thick, and is about 1/4" narrower (width) at the core. Clearance is better on the cold air intake between the degas bottle and the power steering reservoir. I have to imagine the cooling capacity is similar, at least I am hoping so.

IMG_5446.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors