The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 waiting for Sync

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like the idea that when one is tracking, the phone can be operating as well - hands-free. Worth the cost and warranteed. Plus:

Voice-controlled phone
Just say a name to make a call.

Automatic phone book download
Download names/numbers programmed in your compatible phone.128,146

Uninterrupted connections
Instantly transfers your call to SYNC the moment you start your car.27

Phone book photo transfer
Downloaded phone book photos are displayed when making a call.27

ENTERTAINMENT
Voice-activated music search
Control what music you listen to by using simple voice commands.27

Voice-activated radio tuning
Use simple voice commands to find the station or program you want.

Bluetooth® audio streaming128
Listen wirelessly to a variety of audio from your phone.

HD Radio™
Digital broadcasts deliver crystal clear audio.141

HD Radio™ with song tagging
Tag a song you like and purchase it later.

Voice-activated SiriusXM Satellite Radio86
Access commercial-free entertainment with voice commands.

MP3 player charging
Plug in your device to listen and charge simultaneously.

Integrated hard drive
The available hard drive can store up to 2,400 songs.

NAVIGATION
Turn-by-turn directions
(with SYNC® Services27,129)
Get voice directions read over your audio system speakers.

Integrated Navigation System
3-D mapping for enhanced turn-by-turn directions.

SYNC SERVICES
(COMPLIMENTARY FOR 3YRS)
Turn-by-turn directions
Receive voice directions read over your audio system speakers.27,129

411 business search
Easy voice access to over 14 million U.S. business listings.27,129

Send to SYNC
Send directions from Google Maps or Mapquest to your SYNC® system.132,133

Personalized daily information
Get voice-activated news, sports, weather, movie listings and more.27

Personalized traffic alerts
Get on-the-road information to help avoid traffic backups.27,129

911 ASSIST
911 Assist
The system can call 911 even when you can't.28,117

SYNC® APPLINK™
SYNC AppLink
Use your voice to control some of your favorite mobile apps.27,117,144

This is the one tech item I wish the 2012's had. it hasn't been a big deal but would have been nice. The way I look at it is SYNC is built-in pit crew communication. ;)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
All the sync features above are not available with the Boss sync, as it looks like the the feature above are the ones associated with the Electronics Package (nav & hard drive).

Bossfan said:
probably true. I just did the quick cut & paste procedure. I'll just have to wait, hopefully just until mid-July.

Yes, just got my '13 and all these items are not in the Boss Sync package. Not that I care as I primarily will only use the bluetooth functionality of Sync in the Boss.

One thing that was annoying was that when pairing my cell phone, the directions in the manual seemed to represent a touch screen interface and I had to figure out the associated key mappings on the radio. Perhaps there was another section in the manual for Sync without the Nav screen, but this was a somewhat time consuming trial and error process.

Has anyone figured out how to make it read / send text messages? According to the compatibility tables my Blackberry 9930 should be able to do the texting but I can't figure out how to use it. Making/receiving calls, traffic, vehicle health report, BT audio etc. are all working like a charm for me.

I like the idea that when one is tracking, the phone can be operating as well - hands-free. Worth the cost and warranteed. Plus:

Just say a name to make a call.
Uninterrupted connections
ENTERTAINMENT
Voice-activated music search
Voice-activated radio tuning
Listen wirelessly to a variety of audio from your phone.
HD Radio™

Alright not to piss in your wheaties but synk pretty much sucks my wife has it in her 2012 f150 and my aftermarket radio is way better the synk does lose calls the voice commands dont always do what you want like it does not understand your command as far as hd radio yeah we have two stations here and they suck just has not turned out to be what we expected at all but love the truck its great just dont really care for the sunk ;D

TheMarco said:
Has anyone figured out how to make it read / send text messages? According to the compatibility tables my Blackberry 9930 should be able to do the texting but I can't figure out how to use it. Making/receiving calls, traffic, vehicle health report, BT audio etc. are all working like a charm for me.

Did you ever figure this out? If not, PM me and I will walk you through it. I know the reply is a little late...:p

Chris

TheMarco said:

I have the Sync system on a Focus ST, my phone reads texts after I did an update to the system. I downloaded it to a flash drive for the update from the Sync web site. I think they removed that option after I did it due to the number of problems people were having trying to do it them selves. although you can check to see if there is an update.
http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html

Bay Area
1fastang said:
I have the Sync system on a Focus ST, my phone reads texts after I did an update to the system. I downloaded it to a flash drive for the update from the Sync web site. I think they removed that option after I did it due to the number of problems people were having trying to do it them selves. although you can check to see if there is an update.
http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html

The Boss doesnt have that feature.

if you have an iPhone, expect TONS of issues. Voice texting etc doesn't often work with apple gear. Also, voice controls for an ipod, yeah, no luck either.

Honestly the sync is the largest gripe I have with the car overall, if it wasn't a BOSS I'd lemon law the car because of it never working.

There's a whole Sync forum dedicated to grumpy people who hate sync. Mind you, there are so many electronics out there that many people will have pretty good experiences as a whole but there are a LOT of sync users who just wish it would get replaced, or at least updated...

Sorry to vent, but I just can't stand it...

WorldFamousZ said:
if you have an iPhone, expect TONS of issues. Voice texting etc doesn't often work with apple gear. Also, voice controls for an ipod, yeah, no luck either.

Honestly the sync is the largest gripe I have with the car overall, if it wasn't a BOSS I'd lemon law the car because of it never working.

There's a whole Sync forum dedicated to grumpy people who hate sync. Mind you, there are so many electronics out there that many people will have pretty good experiences as a whole but there are a LOT of sync users who just wish it would get replaced, or at least updated...

Even though the Sync text msg works on my Android, I don't use it. I've tried Chevy's and a handful of others and hate them all. I use the Mountek mount and just hit the voice command on my phone which activates the voice on sync (u could use Siri) and use my phone. The only other Sync feature I use is the phone call button to answer calls. In fact I initiate the voice command on my phone to make calls too. Otherwise all the cars integration is too complicated or cumbersome to learn. It's just simple to use my phone and have the bluetooth in the car handle the speaker / mic.

Chris

WorldFamousZ said:

Apply the gas pedal the next time you get frustrated with SYNC. It won't improve SYNC but it will make you feel great.

I've got Sync in my 2013 F150 and it works great. I travel a lot for my job and I always get Ford rentals with Sync because it so seamlessly integrates with the phone for the few hours I'm driving the car. I've got an iPhone too, maybe I'm just lucky but Sync works well for me - playing music, reading texts, making calls, etc.

Sync is the main reason I limited my Boss searching to 2013 MY cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel