The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2016 Time Trial Adventures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Hello all I made the leap up to NASA Time Trials this year so I thought I would share my results as the year goes on. My goal is simply to compete and learn emphasis on learning. I honestly had no intentions of even tracking this car, but track attack changed all that! So the car is a 2013 Black LS with an alluminator small block with Boss heads, cams, and valves. Kooks long tubes, Cobra Jet intake and AED tune. Full interior delete, side windows removed, and Sparco racing seats. The car weighs 3421 and not totally sure on HP. I dyno'd it on a Mustang dyno here in Tucson and it made 443 rwhp, but took it Phoenix and put it on a Dynojet and it only made 411 rwhp, so 411 is what I had to use for classing which put me in TT2.

First event was this past weekend at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park in Phoenix, we ran on the East track. Saturday started off slow as the track was wet from previous days rain so only managed to post a 1:14 and in last place in class, but by the end of the day the track dried out and ended up posting a 1:05 good enough for first place in class out of three cars woo hoo!

Trophy_zpsuw1w8mcc.jpg

Sunday was very cold in the morning so again another slow start, posted a 1:06. By the third session the track had really warmed up and was able to post a 1:03 again good enough for 1st place this time out of 5 cars in class. 4th and final session some bonehead from race group (just kidding Drew :) ) decided he wanted to win some tires! Ended up in 2nd place again with a 1:03. But Drew was nice enough to slow down and let me get on his bumper for a few laps and learned the line better so it was worth it, if only there had been 1 more car I would have won 1 tire. Sorry no video as my GoPro was on the fritz! Will get it up and running and will post some next month from Chuckwalla Valley Raceway.

Here are some pics of the car:

Had this installed last week
fire%20system%201_zpsb92k3aq5.jpg

fire%20system%202_zpslp0c2psh.jpg

My first sponsor!
sponsor_zpshk3dkdva.jpg

And as I mentioned the Hoosier contingency program
front_zpsrmg9zlau.jpg
hood2_zps1yu1zuv0.jpg

My favorite type of thread. You need some TMO stickers on that bad boy. Have fun and good luck!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
This past weekend we went to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in lovely Desert Center, CA! I haven't driven this track for quite awhile so spent most of Saturday figuring out a good line and ended up in 5th out of 6 cars in TT2. Sunday I was able to get in some better laps and moved up to third, good enough for $50 from the Winding Road contingency :)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
We were back at Wild Horse Pass East track last weekend. In TT2 there were three in class on Saturday and I was able to take first place with a 1:03.6 my best time to date at this track. That afternoon had a fellow time trailer give me some tips on his line through a part of the track I've always never felt good about and after some good warm up laps in the morning was able to get my time down to 1:02.1 which on Sunday was only good enough for 2nd (A TT3 driver who is fast as hell moved into TT2). It was a fun weekend and the car feels great, my video is not so great because on Saturday I had it suctioned cupped to the hood and it decided to take a tumble in turn 1, corner worker brought it to me at lunch in multiple pieces but it still worked! So still in first place overall for the season and off to Buttonwillow next month with ArizonaBoss to drive with NASA SoCal

https://youtu.be/e4nCkNayKzY

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
VoodooBOSS said:
I'm sure the stickers helped. ;) There's a remote possibility my son and I may drive down that Saturday and hang out with you guys.

That would be awesome Rick I hope you can make it!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
1:02.1..great time dude. You are learning fast! That is on-pace with the regulars in ST2/ST3 in race group!

Tucson302 said:
That would be awesome Rick I hope you can make it!

Agreed!

Might even want to sign up for a day on-track in the 350 since you'll be there anyway :)
https://nasaproracing.com/events/2288

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I've been slacking on updates so here are the last couple months in a nutshell...April I went to Buttonwillow Raceway with NASA Socal and ran configuration 13 CCW, very fun track! Socal drivers had the home court advantage so never did better than 5th but did learn a lot about the track and had a good time. Looking forward to going back in October for Nationals.

This past weekend went to Autoclub Speedway in Fontana, CA which is a roval and is damn fast! Had all sorts of issues getting there and even more fun while there. Had a tire on the RV explode on the way there and luckily nothing worse happened but cost me about 2 hours waiting on roadside assistance. Once on the track Saturday morning had a blast in the first session and ran a decent 1:56 for a first timer and noticed that I hit 160 on the oval, that was scary fun! Went to go out for the next session and the car wouldn't start. Initial diagnosis, cooked starter. So missed the rest of the day and caught a ride to NAPA for a new starter. With ArizonaBoss's assistance got it replaced and went to fire it up and still nothing. Another driver figured out that it was the neutral safety switch and he jumpered it and it fired right up. Got back on track Sunday but my tires were not up to the task so did not pick up any time, but had fun anyway.

EDIT: This was a combined NASA Socal and NASA AZ event, finished 4th on Saturday and 5th on Sunday so not great but earned some points

So here is some video from Saturday. Sadly my Aim SOLO DL didn't save data on Saturday and my Gopro was dead on Sunday. Next month is a early morning half day event in Phoenix to beat the heat.

https://youtu.be/VsC9d1sVsIo

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
June update: Last month was an early morning event that was over by 10 am before temps hit 100. At the last event someone suggested that the rear of my car needed to be lowered so we dropped it by an inch or so and the car was very loose with lots of over steer. So I took it to a race shop in Phoenix and had it lowered even more and then did an alignment and corner balance. While the car was much more balanced it still felt way different than before so it took me 3 out of the 4 15 minute sessions to get a good feel for it. I had a poor showing in those first three sessions and going into the last one I was in last place for the day. I went out determined to improve and knew the time I needed to put down to take the lead which was at 1:03.6. On my third lap I was able to put down a 1:02.9 and had the lead. I should have just slowed down and got off track and finish the day with a win....but oh no I got greedy and stayed out and tried to go even faster and right near the end of that next lap I went four off and was DQ for that session argh!!!! That would have put me back into first for the season, but now I'm still in second...live and learn. Next NASAAZ outing is another half day event in September this time a night event, but I will be out turning laps at the TMO outing at Sonoma and then Thunder Hill the next two days with @ArizonaBOSS looking forward to meeting other TMO drivers!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel