The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The newest version of the CR-S does appear to be quicker and there were some drivers showing up a the Solo Nationals this year running them. One Class winner was on them and in chatting with an old friend who is a multiple time National Champion he said on a really, really hot day they stand up better than the A052s or the RE71RSs. So in essence he was stating they were still likely third or so on an autocross , but he said they held up better on a road course than the other two, as they could take more runs before they got greasy. As that is more your forte, I imagine you will find quicker laps in 2024 , but he did mention that they are still a bit noisy, sorry. Thanks for posting, always interesting what others are doing around the Globe.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
The newest version of the CR-S does appear to be quicker and there were some drivers showing up a the Solo Nationals this year running them. One Class winner was on them and in chatting with an old friend who is a multiple time National Champion he said on a really, really hot day they stand up better than the A052s or the RE71RSs. So in essence he was stating they were still likely third or so on an autocross , but he said they held up better on a road course than the other two, as they could take more runs before they got greasy. As that is more your forte, I imagine you will find quicker laps in 2024 , but he did mention that they are still a bit noisy, sorry. Thanks for posting, always interesting what others are doing around the Globe.

The track is closing for resurface or at least that's what the rumours are in January. So not sure how my 2024 season will look like just yet. But yeah preliminary tests show the CR-S are close in lap times to A052 and RE71RS. There is also the question will they be available in Europe I hope they will.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Ford Fest 2023 - Dracon - 01.10.2023

Just a week after my previous event on Dracon I was back for my favourite event of the season Ford Fest 2023. As you guys know I love this event not only is a chance to see amazing ford cars like 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback and 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (track owner), but it's also a chance to catch up with a lot of friends. This year the Plovdiv Ford Mustang club was a sponsor of the event so naturally there were a lot of Mustangs. As every year I traveled with my Focus RS friend and his son who is now 19 and has a lovely Focus ST. So at 8:00 am we were practically first on track and I manage to get my usual 088 race number.IMG_3824.jpeg

Since I was on track last week the car didn't needed any preparation. Which mean that I have a lot of time to catch up with friends see beautiful cars and enjoy. The weather was better than last week so I was hoping to finally brake that 1:05 barrier. This year the Mustang class was packed with 3 Mach 1's 1 A10 2019 Supercharged Mustang (1:08.958).
Just before my first session some ford blow it's engine and spill coolant in the braking zone for the first hairpin.
First session started really good with 1:07.116 but this is far from 1:05 what was clear in that session was that front right tires is not holding me as it should though based on that photo I can't imagine this is possible:IMG_3830.jpeg

But when inspecting it visually it was clear that the tire was having it's last times this is 3rd track day with that tire been front right and all 3 days were in real heat so probably I should have rotated tires.

Second session marked my best time for the day 1:06.944 but I again overshoot the last corner because of hard brake pedal ... this is starting to get annoying need to figure something out my only option by the looks of it is bigger brake deflectors. On bride sight since it was colder the CHT's were somehow reasonable. The Mach 1's did 1:11.961 and 1:14.507 but we are talking stock cars with A10's and drivers that only have a few or less times on track. However is impressive that the mods that I did to the car make 4 seconds difference on a 2 km track. I'm sure that if the Mach 1 is on same tires with better driver the difference will be close to 1 second or so. But still a lot of people were very impressed and ask me what I had done to the engine. Which obviously was nothing.

At lunch time there was a car expo on all car at the start/finish which was amazing:

IMG_3835.jpeg

We only had 1 session left but I was not able to improve. However in the other big class Turbo my friend with the Focus RS was doing great with 1:08.661 on AR-1's and his son did an impressive last session with 1:13.458 for 3rd in Class. So all 3 cars on the first photo were on a podium.

Here is the overall standings:

IMG_3904.jpeg

So what is next ?

A friend of mine sold me used Steeda Toe links and new ford performance toe to knuckle bearings so I need to install them which hopefully will fix the annoying noises from the back.

Speaking of annoying noises my front right spring insulator bushing seams to be getting worn that mean that I need to get the front struts out and replace both insulators.

I still need to figure all my cooling issues namely brakes and CHT most importantly brakes. The car is stopping fantastic but it's just not consistent enough to push lap after lap. Same goes for CHT I can push for 2 laps but then the CHT shoot through the roof. I will figure out something in the off season which only few weeks away now.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Аfter the Ford Fest I went to my tires shop to rotate tires as my front right was not in best condition we started rotating tires but when we get to front right tire we found this:

IMG_4316.jpeg

I have a great idea how that happen in my last session on the Ford Fest I dropped off the 1st right curb because I instinctively braked and the car over rotated which was not ideal considering I was already on the edge of the curb. Luckly I was able to take the car home and to the tire shop. Obviously I ordered a new wheel from Apex that I'm still waiting for (unlucky for me this was just a few days after the 2nd year of purchasing the SM-10's). We rotated tires and balanced the other 3 wheels but I will need to deal with that. I changed to my very worn (original PZero fronts, Hankook K127 rears) summer tires and call it a day.

Free Day - Dracon - 16.11.2023

With the end of season fast approaching my friend with the A10 Mach 1 suggested we go to Dracon for a free day to finish of our street summer tires in style (his PS4s has seen better days for sure).

I decided this is a great opportunity to see what the car can do with OEM Tires and to see exactly how much of a difference the 305/30/19 AR-1's and SM-10 wheels really make ( I did 1:06.9 on the Ford Fest at 26C (78F) weather). The SM-10 combo with tires is 10 kg (22 lbs) total lighter than stock tires and wheels.

It was amazing day we were the only 2 cars on track arrived at around 10:00 am. The weather was dry clear sky and 15C (59F) but there was a lot of wind which lucky for us was in the direction of the longest straight.

First few sessions the tires were very cold (I run my stock PSI settings) and I only did 1:11.53 which was shocking bad. It was remarkable how much more the car was sliding in the rear with the K127 tires (Dot 2019) in fact my OEM Pzero fronts looked like have a lot more grip (Dot 2017) than this K127my advice is don't buy Hankook Summer tires for the Mustang they are not up to the task.

In the second session I only did 1:13.5 and my friend offered me to pop in his Mach 1 and do a lap there. I can tell you the PS4s tires were not great ether and with the Magnaride the car was moving even more in the corners with both of us in the car I only manage to do 1:13.9 which is showing that whatever HP advantage the Mach 1 is having was offset by the added weight of 2nd person in car. The A10 started to acting up and skipping gears after just 1 lap on track (may be adaptation kicking in but my guess is hot trans oil). So we decided to give the car a rest.

I than give my car to the Mach 1 owner and he was impressed with how fun a Manual in a Mustang is as well as how well sorted my suspension is. He didn't push my car at all though doing only 1:20 or so lap. The Mach 1 actually burned through a lot more fuel than me (half a tank) when I only burned 1/3rd or so.

With the Mach 1 need for fuel and the lunch time fast approaching we decided to go for lunch and fuel with the Mach 1. We traveled 20 or so km's to a spa hotel with amazing restaurant and the autumn scenes of the road and fields with beautiful blue sky and white clouds was creating a lovely riding experience there is so much fun you can have in a Mach 1 even just been a passenger in one. The lunch was amazing and like 2 hours or so.

We were back on track at 14:30 starting with a few more sessions. I don't usually like afternoon sessions but after the lovely lunch and with the fast ride in the Mach 1 I was looking forward to improve my lap times. Obviously few more hours of sun made the track a bit faster as well. I did 1:10.82 in that session and my friend was dropping into the 1:12's which was his new PB's.

I did another session shortly after at 15:10 and dropped to 1:10.68 started noticing brakes fade as well even with street tires but after a few laps so decided to let the brakes cool down and pop in the car with my friend to show him some lines.

My final session for the day was at 15:50 and was a short 5 laps session with the goal of dropping down to 1:09 I only manage to do it slightly down to 1:09.97. Compared to worst weather conditions and full with cars track on Ford Fest that marks for 3 seconds time difference between OEM size PP1 tires package and my track tires. However the interesting thing is I actually manage to clock 187.5 km/h (highest speed I even done on Dracon) this obviously will not be possible with 305/30 tires.

We than packed and get back to Sofia in the Evening I stopped to wash the car and call it a day and what a lovely day it was.

Season 2024 Upgrade Plans

A few other interesting developments till now. My Friend with the Cayman actually put Nankang AR-1's and ask me to go with him to the track (29.10.2023) so he can try to improve and I help him with advice etc. It was a lovely travaling in a Cayman it's remarkable how good that car is on the street the brakes are really quiet the suspension is sporty without been harsh and the overall riding experience is really good you fast get used to the fact that it's a small car with not a lot of room but it's actually reasonably comfortable (in a way it remind me of my ex's 206 CC) with my help and a lot of over breaking (porsche breaks really are amazing) he manage to do 1:05.70. Few weeks later was the Dracon Speed Cup (18.11.2023) final round (I had to skip because of the wheel issue). The Porsche actually took my place and manage to do 1:05.020 (PB so far).

The E36 BMW actually manage to win the championship overall and was fastest with 1:04.579.
There are a few other cars that took participation in the class but were not on the final event one is a BMW 440i with a best time of 1:04.687.

A friend of mine has a BMW M2 which he run in one round but didn't in the final he improved to a 1:03.763 on a AR-1's.

There is also a new BMW M4 (G80) that the owner was previously running (F80) in Speed cup he did a 1:03.909 again on AR-1's.

So as you can tell based on my 1:06.9 and a best of 1:06.39 through the season I look like to be like 3 seconds off the pace from podium places in the Street Tuning class which is understandable considering me and the Cayman are the only N/A cars in the field and everyone is running 700 whp.

With that in mind a few things I plan to do for next season:

1. I obviously do need new set of tires. Considering everyone is saying that the king of tires at the moment is the A052 (should be faster than AR-1's) I plan to switch to 295/35/19 A052's this will hopefully help me to pick up some top speed end of straight.

2. I need more power to the car so far I narrow it down to a Power Pack 3 (GT350 IM, GT350 TB, GT350 CAI) because this kit actually have an EU version with EU calibration. This will help me stay at 4th in the back straight and pickup top speed with the goal of hitting 200 km/h before braking.

3. Speaking of braking I plan to purchase brake cooling plates from Vorshlag as they say are as effective as hoses based on there testing and much simpler to install. Will probably add R10 rear brake pads as well or look for other brake pads options (looks like not a lot are available in Europe).

4. Speaking of cooling with the added power from the Power Pack 3 I think I will need to step up my cooling game. At the moment I'm looking into Mishimoto Ultimate Bundle (Oil Cooler, Radiator, Racing Thermostat, All the hoses, Aluminium Extension Tank) mostly for easy of install not sure if it will actually do something but I'm sick of not been able to run in summer. Though this will not be needed this season as the track will be repaved in summer. Last open day is 30.05.2023.

5. I need to sort out the spring insulator issue in the front. I'm not sure how dangerous this one is ? But this might require coilovers rebuild which will be annoying.

6. FP Knuckle to Toe link bearings need to be installed. I'm still debating if I want the toe-links to be installed as well.

7. New set of lug nuts as mine have seen better days and this is obviously always needed.

Looks like it's going to be really busy off season.

Hope you all have amazing Christmas holidays with a lot of new shiny car parts under the tree.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel

TMO Vendor Posts