The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 vs Boss Intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Since the introduction of the Gen 3 2018 intake manifold, is the Boss intake a viable option for gen 1 coyote cars?

My 2011 has a Bama tune that I am not going to trust on the track. So I will get a retune, probably by AED. I don't want to retune after other mods, so I will just jump to the end plan for my engine. Manifold, CAI and tune (+1k rpms). Done. Only thing from there would be water and oil cooling mods.

So the 2018 seems like the better manifold on paper, better average power anyway. Not sure on peak power. But the Boss manifold is cheaper and frankly looks cooler. Not sure how expensive the ancillary parts are for either. Or how involved the install is for each. Hence the question.

Which one to go with?

Good thread here already going over your comparison: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/intake-question-this-time.17244/

It depends on how much you're going to modify your engine for RPM.
Stock 2011 manifold starts loosing steam around 6,500 rpm and onwards to compliment the factory limiter that starts to kick in at 6,800.
Boss 302 runner design potentially trades some midrange torque (tune and supporting mod dependent) for the ability to carry out peak rpm farther.
Most agree if you're going to take the time, the Cobra Jet is the better solution over the Boss 302 intake, but requires a new throttle body and intake solution adding to the already much higher cost.
2018 intake manifold peaks around 7,000 rpm to match the factory rev limiter and doesn't cost as much as the Cobra Jet. I've seen takeoffs and gently used 2018 manifolds on FB parts groups for the same price as a Boss 302 intake, around $200.

If you're going to go to 8,000 rpm (per your +1k rpm comment) and expect any longevity (given the weaker 2011 connecting rods), I hope you're planning to do an entire block teardown and build with parts that can support that. Connecting rods, valve springs to control valves at that rpm, probably camshafts, exhaust manifolds to deal with the greater volume, high-rpm crankshaft sensor trigger wheel, clutch that can handle disengaging at that rpm, probably better transmissions synchros, etc. If that's your plan, cost concerns are out of the window and in order to support that the 'easiest' way would be a Cobra Jet.

if you plan to work with a specific tuner, it may be best to consult with them and let them know what your end goals are. AED Shaun has been around the block and knows what it takes to meet certain power or rpm limits. Just be prepared that if you're shooting for the moon your checkbook needs to meet that ambition.

With the track, it's probably better to attack things with your money in this scenario:
Tier 0: Since the car is over a decade old now, make sure everything is up to an OEM-maintained condition. No use trying to tune the chassis if your Trak-lok clutches are shot or if your suspension bushes are cracked.
Tier 1: Do I know how to drive? Classes, track brake pads, and high temperature brake fluid.
Tier 2: Suspension & Handling/Tires & Wheels
Tier 3: Will it stay alive? Cooling (water, oil, and brakes), oil slosh management, fuel slosh management, etc.
Tier 4: Power, revisiting Tier 3 as needed

2018 tends appears to be slightly better than the Boss based on online tests and articles. The Cobra Jet is still the best intake Ford sells.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I went through the same decision process a few years back and chose the ported Boss and ported stock throttle body. There really isn’t any difference in difficulty of installation between the two. I didn’t lose any torque down low and gained power just about everywhere.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Great feedback, thank you. The 1k rpm comment really meant 7500rpm limiter. I sort of assumed that was the limit on an otherwise stock coyote. Coming from much better handling cars (lower power) I have no intention of any significant power mods. Stock cat, headers, cams, exhaust, etc. I just want to get the tune squared away and don't want to go back after I add parts. Intake manifold seems like the cheapest, easiest 20+ HP and another almost 1k rpms. Cost of a manifold swap may be less than the tune? That fruit is hanging too low not to pick.

Sounds like I cant loose either way. Used 2018 manifold sounds interesting. It would be just my luck it had a leak somewhere and I was chasing diagnostic issues going forward. Bottom line is a would prefer new.

Difference is about $100 for the manifold. Install parts are what 100 for each? So $350 for the Boss maybe $450 for the 2018. Install difficulty is about the same?

Great feedback, thank you. The 1k rpm comment really meant 7500rpm limiter. I sort of assumed that was the limit on an otherwise stock coyote. Coming from much better handling cars (lower power) I have no intention of any significant power mods. Stock cat, headers, cams, exhaust, etc. I just want to get the tune squared away and don't want to go back after I add parts. Intake manifold seems like the cheapest, easiest 20+ HP and another almost 1k rpms. Cost of a manifold swap may be less than the tune? That fruit is hanging too low not to pick.

Sounds like I cant loose either way. Used 2018 manifold sounds interesting. It would be just my luck it had a leak somewhere and I was chasing diagnostic issues going forward. Bottom line is a would prefer new.

Difference is about $100 for the manifold. Install parts are what 100 for each? So $350 for the Boss maybe $450 for the 2018. Install difficulty is about the same?
JR3Z-9424-A (silver top) or JR3Z-9424-B (black top) found for ~$320 new. Can find as low as $200 lightly used if you know where to look.
You need CMCV lockouts from VMP or MMR, $50
FR3Z-8592-A water neck to clear the manifold. FR3Z-8592-C is the same thing but missing the steam nipple if you want a place to put a water temp sensor for gauges.
-W503278-S437 short water neck bolt
-W503283-S437 long water neck bolt
$33 bucks for all water neck stuff.

VMP has a step-by-step install guide on their YouTube page.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
My stock long block 2011 with Boss climbs to just under 7400 rpms before falling off. The stock valve springs are most likely the culprit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
You are doing all the work for me. Thank you!

After reading the thread you linked, should I be concerned with tuning a 2018 manifold? Seems like the Boss is a slam dunk to tune.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Most of us aren’t going to notice the incremental increase in power between the Boss and 2018 intakes on a gen 1 motor and the Boss looks do much better. 😃

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Most of us aren’t going to notice the incremental increase in power between the Boss and 2018 intakes on a gen 1 motor and the Boss looks do much better. 😃
No doubt on that. Plus the power band has more "character" ;).... Like the F20C in my old S2000. X2

Seriously seems like the extra $100 for the 2018 is the way to go. Unless there is some complication tuning it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It wasn't a money thing for me at the time. I went with the Boss manifold due to problems I was hearing related to running the 2018 on the gen 1. It seems like the 2018 manifold was designed to take advantage of the gen 2 changes and the results just weren't there on the early gen 1 motors. I did spend some extra money on Brett Barber porting to minimize torque loss and it was worth it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
You are doing all the work for me. Thank you!

After reading the thread you linked, should I be concerned with tuning a 2018 manifold? Seems like the Boss is a slam dunk to tune.
Talk to Shaun - he steered me towards the Boss over the 2018, and if I recall it had more to do with keeping torque across the curve, especially down low.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Interesting on the tune. There must be some complication regarding a 2018 on a gen1. When I original reached out to Bama with questions on my tune, they said they would NOT tune a 2018 manifold.

Putting aside the competence of Bama tuning, the fact that they have a hard rule is interesting.

Another thing I have noticed that many of the BIG manifold shootout tests, is they are not using a bone stock gen 1 car. They are crate motors with headers or gen 2/3 cars.

Did you look at the one linked in the thread I sent you?

Probably as close as you're going to get for back-to-back testing on a mostly-stock Gen 1 engine (headers and an intake).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New England
Thanks for that. Not same day but episode 10 has the 2018 besting the CJ. Episode 14 shows the cj besting the boss. Definitely interesting. Makes me wonder why tuners seem hesitant to touch the 2018 on a gen 1.

TMO Supporting Vendors