The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 Ecoboost 10spd racing with GLTC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys, here are 2 videos and a few picture from my 1st weekend with GLTC. My first time with this series, first time at COTA. Car is not optimized at all for GLTC rules but I figured i'd attend an event and see where it stands. Car weights like 3,475lbs with me and the big tires. I'm allowed 3,300lbs with the same tire size.

Quick summary of the weekend:
Friday practice:
- Showed up with ooollld Nitto nt01 305/35/18 fitted to the car, I had RT660's 295/40/18 shipped to the track. I was allowed up to 305 but the size does in exist in a 200tw tire, so I had no choice.
- We had the new tires mounted first thing, turns out they were wider and taller than my 305's so we had tire clearance issues which prevented us from getting any track time.
- We managed to fix it and had to completely re-align so we were ready for Saturday.

Saturday
- First practice: I know the track only from video, buts its nothing like it in real life. I'm basically driving on an unknown country road. 14 secs off pace. I'm ready to pack up and leave by that point lol!
- Qualifiying: I'll basically use my qualifying as practice. I manage to improve my time by 8 seconds to a 2min34 but the fast guys improve by 1.5sec so I'm still 8 seconds off. Better but still wayyy off even if its a long track.
-Race #1: Pretty uneventful, I start 17th, learn the track a bit, and finish 11th with a 2min31 best lap, 3-4 secs off the fastest guys, getting better. Let me know if you find my comments annoying...

Sunday:
- 2nd race: I watched a few videos about the proper race line, feeling more ready for this race. I had great battles and had such a good time. Started 14th and finished 12th. Again 2min31 fastest lap and again a good 4-5 seconds off but i'm faster in the turns and brake later. I'm having issues with power, the OE computer cuts boost and timing when the engine gets hot. I followed a bunch of cars closely for long periods and that probably did not help air flow. I have a HUGE trans cooler blocking almost 100% of my radiator. I also have have the Mishi oil cooler not pictured here but the trans gets really hot and so does the cooler which leave no chance to the radiator.
rad.jpg
I have a Samsonas dog box on order so that will help to shed a good 100lbs and likely fix the heating issue, but until its done I'm trying to make this setup work.

For those who wonder, as you can tell in the videos, the trans is amazing when you're in a straight line and floored. ZERO lag and fast shifting. This issue is, again, heat (which is 95% fixed) and on-off throttle, mid-corner corrections and corner exists. there is always a lag in the tq converter and it sometimes downshifts and-or looking for a gear even if its sport manual mode. I have to get on the gas like .5 secs before I feel I should, weird feeling. I'll be trying to make the best of it while its in the car.

i'll edit my videos from race 3 and 4 and make another post soon.

let me know if you have questions, Cheers!

0050_W7_7275.jpg0006_RW_6163.jpg0006_RW_6163.jpg0031_RW_7573-2.jpg0038_W7_5519.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel