The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 GT500 Red Hot Metallic at Philly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks good. I posted that photo but can't take credit for the render.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting , I am just a human ping pong ball since I love her both ways ---super aggressive maw devouring Camaros, or the rendering that makes you just want to take her out to dance and show off to your friends!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Funny, it took me some time to warm up to the 2015+ and the GT350s, but DAMN. They knocked it out of the park on the GT500. I cannot WAIT to see these things on the track!

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Guess I might be the only person who prefers the Supercharged Soul Sucking Maw of Glorious Track Shredding Doom(TM). I think it looks too busy when it's painted. I'll take one, avalanche grey, hold the stripes please.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I dunno. Looks aside, big question I have is driveline coolers. Without them the thing is a poser car. They seem to be talking up the quarter mile which is uninteresting to a road course track rat. Ford says there will not be an R, so I suspect there's not going to be coolers either? Without them she's like that really gorgeous girl at the dance who can't add 2+2 and get 4.

My dream dual purpose car would still be a base GT350R with a stoutly built CPC 5.2.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
We'll have to see but this excerpt from this article sounds promising:

The engine has a new cast-aluminum structural oil pan, which has both static baffles and hinged doors that open and close under high g-forces to fend off oil starvation. Ford Performance chief functional engineer Ed Krenz says this allows for sustained track survivability without a dry-sump system. Likewise, says Krenz, the upgraded cooling package compared with a GT350 will keep the engine happy on long track runs. It includes an air-to-liquid intercooler mounted atop the supercharger, an upgraded radiator, an engine-oil cooler, and a transmission-oil cooler.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25862095/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-photos-info/

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
It does look promising and might keep the engine happy, but it's always the diff that causes the big problem. My stock 5.0 can cause diff overheat issues so then for sure this car is going to have the same problem on a bigger scale.

It's probably just me, I've never been a fan of boosted cars, it's like anyone can stick a blower on and make a gajillion hp, but a NA motor making big power from minimal displacement is a work of art. Such as the Coyote.

TMO Supporting Vendors