The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2023 SCCA Solo Moutrie National Tour short Recap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not great at these recap things, but regardless....

I just got back from the 2023 version of the SCCA Moultrie Georgia Autocross national tour. It was formerly run in December and had a different name, but we don't need to delve into that change here.

CAMC entries were very light initially, with only me and John Ward in open and my wife Beth and Cindy Duncan (in her 2024 Darkhorse) in ladies. I scared John Ward away :) and he dropped out leaving me in an empty class. Then Cindy got a co driver and moved over to open so Beth also moved and then a few locals entered and we ended up with 7 total. All Mustangs too.

Cindy Duncan has 4 national championships and the co-driver she recruited (Jessi Williams) has at least one in GSL. My wife Beth is the reigning CAMC-Ladies National Champion (not really, she ran alone at Nats but they gave her a giant ass trophy which is embarrassing and comical at the same time). Regardless, without knowing anything about the local entries in the class, I knew I had my hands full keeping ahead of these 3 drivers.

Weather was good but chilly in the mornings with temps holding around in the low 50's throughout our first heat runs. There was also some sort of Can-Am side by side event last month at the site and that involved covering the site with tons of dirt, which was barely cleaned up in time and a lack of rain left the site extremely dusty and combined with the temps, it was slicker there than in years past.

The courses were typical for this site, fairly open but transition heavy, but fun,

I drove pretty well on Saturday, hold the lead throughout and picking up .6 each run. I ended up with a 2 second lead over Cindy in second place and Jessi holding the last trophy spot a few tenths in front of Beth.

Here is my best Sat Run

I didn't drive nearly as well on Sunday. First run was a good starting point, but second run, I just got late and overdrove the whole run and spent a lot of time sliding and slowed down 4 tenths. 3rd run, I tried to smooth up, but as sometimes happens to me, I was a little too smooth and only improved a few tenths over my first run. I am certain I left a 43.8-9 out there but ended with a 44.4. Meanwhile CIndy was getting more comfortable with her new car and got into the 45's. Beth had a really nice day and got into the mid 46's and took the 3rd and last trophy place back from Jessi, so Whitworths ended up in P1 and P3 in class. We think this was Beth's first trophy in CAMC Open class.

Here is my best Sunday run, literally a Sunday drive. I call this Safety Dave and he leaves a lot on the table.

I ended up 19th on Index out of 124 drivers and every car in front of me was a smaller, lighter car. There was nothing there wider than 69-70 inches and nothing over 3,000 lbs. On the transition heavy course, I will take it.

EDIT: I also don't want to forget the local entries that were there in CAMC. They were all younger, newer autocrossers (two brothers and their friend) I am not sure they knew what to expect from the Cindy, Jessi and Beth but they took the beating very well :) and were very respectful, asking questions and wanting to improve and most importantly, had lots of fun. Great competitors and classmates.

Fun weekend. If you are into National autocross and can find a way to either the spring or fall events hosted by Red Hills region in South Georgia, I *highly* recommend it. This "Tiny but Fierce" SCCA region puts on a super fun, super quality event year after year.

DaveW

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I call this Safety Dave and he leaves a lot on the table.
When Safety Dave is dancing through the cones, it's called
:)

Congratulations to you and Beth, and Cindy. Maybe since she's got a Dark Horse, we might see her on this forum.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My son Ryan and I have made this trek the last two years, but this year we had not planned on it since it changed to November and we had planned to go to the National Tour in Oklahoma in October ? Well, the October Tour got cancelled and since Porsche of Omaha ( where Ryan is a Salesman ) just opened a new Store we knew the Moultrie, Georgia event was out. Glad to hear DaveW and Beth made it again, as it is a haul for those two from the St. Louis area. I would echo Dave's comments on the courses there as they are fun, great Region that hosts the event , and if you are in the Southeast part of the US, it would be worth putting it on your calendar. I know Ryan and I hope to make it in 2024 and Big Dave, please tell Beth congrats, that is so cool and great for the two of you to take home CAMC Open Trophies!

Was considering trying to make it down, but without the DSC controller operating correctly, I didn't figure it was worth the drive. Will definitely make it down there for an event soon though as I'd just like to see where my car stands against national level competition just to be humbled a bit LOL.

TMO Supporting Vendors