The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302 @ Watkins Glen One Hot Lap.

Looks like you had a nice tight line around WG. Been there before I take it? Is that your car?
 
I thought you had a pretty good line myself. Only a couple of corners I would have taken differently but it's personal opinion.

Was that with the disks removed? Car sounds great!

I have to put the Glen back on my list of tracks to run at next year!
 
Yes, my car and yes I have been there before. For the cars 1st event, I was very pleased. I'll get it well sorted out this winter.

Is there a replacement grill cover if I cut open the fog light part of the grill? Will it help anyway?
 
mwilson7 said:
I thought you had a pretty good line myself. Only a couple of corners I would have taken differently but it's personal opinion.

Was that with the disks removed? Car sounds great!

I have to put the Glen back on my list of tracks to run at next year!

The glen is a must each year for me. Disks out. I did have a student in the car. Normally I try and apex a bit earlier but I need a few more laps in the car after we get her some suspension work.
 
Jimmy Pribble said:
Yeah, nice smooth driving and of course, the fastest color. ;)

Happy with the GoPro camera?

Jimmy

Thank you. Camera is great but we are not allowed to mount outside the car so it gets tough mounting it inside and getting the right angle.
 
ArizonaGT said:
Clean driving there! Did you have any issues w/ overheating or limp mode?

Can't wait to get the car on the track labor day weekend...

Did overheat a bit but I was running for about 75 minutes straight and was pushing the revs. By simple shifting a bit earlier it was enough to keep her happy. One limp mode which was when the car was getting hot.

Let the motor run when you come off track and pop the hood. Give it 3-5 minutes to cool before shutting the motor down.
 
1,255
0
GA
Tony356 said:
Jimmy Pribble said:
Yeah, nice smooth driving and of course, the fastest color. ;)

Happy with the GoPro camera?

Jimmy

Thank you. Camera is great but we are not allowed to mount outside the car so it gets tough mounting it inside and getting the right angle.

If a GoPro, try using the suction cup mount and mount the camera upside down; place the suction cup just to the right of the rear view mirror mount and just below the window decal (the cup won't hold on the decal). You'll have to find the right combination of pivot parts so that the camera pivots toward you when upside down. There is a setting on the camera for mounting upside down so that the video comes out right. Also, when inside take the little round lens cover off of the case and you will hear more of the glorius engine sounds. 8)
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,522
2,329
Arizona, USA
Tony356 said:
Did overheat a bit but I was running for about 75 minutes straight and was pushing the revs. By simple shifting a bit earlier it was enough to keep her happy. One limp mode which was when the car was getting hot.

Let the motor run when you come off track and pop the hood. Give it 3-5 minutes to cool before shutting the motor down.

Good points of reference, thanks for the tips--will make sure to leave her running. Out here we only have about 1/2 lap cool-down after checker, usually.
 
Tony356 said:
Yes, my car and yes I have been there before. For the cars 1st event, I was very pleased. I'll get it well sorted out this winter.

Nice video.
Was the car stock or did you change the tires and brakes?
I've logged lots of hours at the Glen. It's one of my favorite tracks.

Speaking of the Glen, I notice that Ragan and Stenhouse are running a Mustang in the GT class of Grand-Am Rolex Series This Weekend.

05pic.jpg


Anybody have any info on that car? It's to bad neither driver is a great road course driver.
 
332
0
Nice lap of my favorite track (even though I crashed a Porsche there in 1994). I was up there instructing at a PCA event last month when I only had about 750 miles on the car, stock everything and no cooling kits. I took it out for a few easy laps and didn't even change the shock settings. I'm putting rotors, pads, brake cooling and trans cooling on this week and plan to run Summit Point on Friday and VIR on Labor Day weekend. Looking forward to it!

100_3914.png
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top