The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

82 mph between two walls of ice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, if you want to feel like going 150+ at Road America or Road Atlanta is a walk in the park, just watch the guys running the " Luge " at the 2022 Olympics . I feel like a super wimp after watching some of these guys, laying on their backs going down a tunnel of ice at 82 mph--------friggin insane!!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I don't know if it's better to do that feet-first (luge) or head-first (skeleton). I think I'd prefer to be in a bobsled, just like I prefer to have the steel shell of a car around me on track. The luge & skeleton athletes are probably the type that prefer to race motorcycles instead of cars.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Bill, come up to the Great White North and do some ice racing. In the rubber to ice classes it's full contact racing in slow motion, lots of contact but very little damage due to relatively low speeds. But in the stud classes it's full bore flat out racing topping out in the 80mph range or so, often with close to zero visibility, the studs throw up a huge amount of chips and snow. We ran an ice race on a 5/8th mile horse track oval one year and we were seeing straightaway speeds nearing 90 mph before pitching the car sideways and scrubbing speed off into the corner. Snowbanks usually create a cushion, but that race had no snowbanks, just the wooden railings they used for horse racing. Luckily, nobody got into the rails much. Not exactly for the faint of heart!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Two good friends, Tommy and Bobby Archer , did a lot of ice racing up in Minnesota , Canada, Wisconsin, etc. and I remember some of their crazy stories about the races.The stories sounded like when we were children, dumping as many kids as we could going down a big hill on our sleds. It appears the only difference is ice racing does the same thing with cars, ha. Couple of Lugers were posting close to 90 mph, so I still give those guys the edge over ice racing a car.

Closest I have come to ice racing is zero visibility racing in the rain numerous times, where the downpours was so heavy you waited to brake when you saw red dots light up in front of you.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel