The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Advice on LSD options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, so after my first track outing I have a few improvements to make on the car.
It sure felt like in the tighter corners I had throttle induced wheel spin. So was I at the mechanical grip of the tires, was I just overdriving the car, was I spinning both or one wheel is the million dollar question. I lost a lot of time because I couldnt get the power down. Since I have automatic gears and I need to change those out ( I did the track in 2nd and 3rd ), I thought it would be a good time to consider upgrades.

Car is a 2006 GT that was a automatic. 18*11 wheels on slicks, so it wasnt from small tires.

My local vendor ( Canadian prices ) has given me a list of options. They recommend the trutrac. The option not listed is a rebuild of the existing LSD in case its just worn out.
The Detriot TruTrac (913A561) is $984.51, the Ford Performance Torsen (M-4204-T31) is $1060.76 and the Torsen T2R (M-4204-T31H) is $1383.56
I plan to run the 3valve and not upgrade the motor. Full Kenny Brown suspension and 6 piston brake upgrade.
With this car which would be the best option do you think?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

side_view.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I just replaced my Trac-lock with a Detroit TrueTrac recently. I rebuilt the Trac-loc once with Ford Performance carbon clutches and didn't want to do it again. That friction modifier is truly vile stuff. I went with the TrueTrac after reading Billy Johnson's Budget Track build series of articles on MotoIQ. I figured if it was good enough for him it would work for me. It was also a bit cheaper than the Torsen T2R. I know people running the Torsen's and they are happy with them as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. The TrueTrac is more predictable and effective than the Trac-lock was even with new clutches in it. I am able to put more power down on corner exit without the car getting tail happy.

TMO Supporting Vendors