The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket accelerator pedal sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Paso Robles, CA
Hi, I'm Norm Benson out in California. I race a 2012 S197 with SCCA. I'm converting the OEM pedal set with a Tilton 3 pedal set and I don't know which throttle position sensor to use that will be compatible with the OEM ECU. With what I know now, my choices are:

Penny & Giles Specification:
Dual channel contactless throttle position sensor
Operating Angle : 90 Degrees
Output: 0.5 -4.5V analogue
Connection: 50cm Fly Lead with 4 wire core

Penny & Giles Connections:
Red : +V Supply
Black: 0V Supply GND
Yellow: Ch1 Output
White: Ch2 Output

OR:

Variohm Specification:

Dual channel contactless throttle position sensor
Operating Angle : 90 Degrees
Output: 0.5 -4.5V analogue
Connection: 50cm Fly Lead with 6 wire core

Variohm Connections:
Channel 1 (CW)
Red : +5V Supply
Black: Ground
White: Signal Output

Channel 2 (CCW)
Green : +5V Supply
Blue: Ground
Yellow: Signal Output

HELP! Can you shed some light? Thanks in advance. Norm

Hmmm , as far as using this with an OEM ecu I don't have the answer to that. I use the same pedal assembly with a Penny and Giles sensor but not with an OEM ECU. I am not sure if there is any ability to calibrate a pedal sensor on a factory ECU? If there is not, then you may need to try and measure a stock pedal at rest and see what the voltages are showing and try and match that with your new setup.. Maybe someone with more experience with that factory setup can chime in, but I would imagine your ECU will be looking for a specific voltage from the pedal relative to the throttle angle.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Paso Robles, CA
Thanks for the reply. That is the approach we are taking. Unfortunately the rules dictate we use the OEM ECU.
Cheers,
Norm

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Paso Robles, CA
That will be the last resort. 2nd to the last resort is a mechanical linkage from the Tilton pedal to the OEM sensor. We are just diving into it... We'll figure it out.
Thanks for your thoughts... Cheers!

TMO Supporting Vendors