The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket Exhaust

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums. I just bought my performance white BOSS #659 a couple of weeks ago and she's a beauty. The first thing I did was remove the side exhaust disks. It puts a smile on my face every time i step on the gas. ;D

I want to get an aftermarket axle-back exhaust system and I can't decide between the Roush system, the Corsa Xtremes, or the Borla ATAK.

Any ideas on which sounds meaner and which increases overall performance the most?
 
I have the Corsa Extremes and couldn't be happier. I've had tons of compliments on how great it sounds. I dropped about 30lbs from the stock mufflers. I haven't dynoed it yet, so no idea. General consensus is you're talking 4-7 hp from opening up the exhaust no matter what brand of high flow muffler you choose along with opening the side exhaust.
 
cloud9 said:
I have the Corsa Extremes and couldn't be happier. I've had tons of compliments on how great it sounds. I dropped about 30lbs from the stock mufflers. I haven't dynoed it yet, so no idea. General consensus is you're talking 4-7 hp from opening up the exhaust no matter what brand of high flow muffler you choose along with opening the side exhaust.

Gary, I'm think about picking up a set of these. How much louder would you say the car is now compared to stock with the side disks removed? Would you say the sound is deep or raspy like the side pipes? Cursing along at highway speeds, how noticeable is the exhaust? Thanks.
 
BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
I have the Corsa Extremes and couldn't be happier. I've had tons of compliments on how great it sounds. I dropped about 30lbs from the stock mufflers. I haven't dynoed it yet, so no idea. General consensus is you're talking 4-7 hp from opening up the exhaust no matter what brand of high flow muffler you choose along with opening the side exhaust.

Gary, I'm think about picking up a set of these. How much louder would you say the car is now compared to stock with the side disks removed? Would you say the sound is deep or raspy like the side pipes? Cursing along at highway speeds, how noticeable is the exhaust? Thanks.
The noise is only somewhat louder than without the discs since most of it now flows to the rear. It is deeper than the side pipes now. There is only a very slight drone at cruising speeds, but you only hear it with the windows up and radio off. Even at that, it's very minimal.
 
I traded in an '11 5.0 for my Boss. Had just bought Borla Atak axle-backs for the 5.0 when i made the swap. Ataks were on the 5.0 for about 2 weeks.

When I traded, I pulled the Ataks off the 5.0 and saved them for the Boss. Best decision I made. Boss sounds good without them and with the side exhausts opened up. But with the Borlas, man, now she really sound like "THE BOSS". Couldn't be happier with my decision to save them and put them on. You won't be disappointed!
 
548
0
I've got the impression from Gary (Cloud 9) that the stock mufflers have a fair amount of back pressure compared to aftermarket, and that after installing them the sound from the side exhausts is significantly reduced and routed to the back. Weight and performance is a good testimonial, but one of the best features of the Boss is the quad exhaust and unique sound. I'd want that to be maintained, and so am still reluctant to drop $650 if it is going to make my Boss sound like a GT - not that there's anything wrong with how a GT sounds, but it's not a Boss.
 
jimprw said:
I've got the impression from Gary (Cloud 9) that the stock mufflers have a fair amount of back pressure compared to aftermarket, and that after installing them the sound from the side exhausts is significantly reduced and routed to the back. Weight and performance is a good testimonial, but one of the best features of the Boss is the quad exhaust and unique sound. I'd want that to be maintained, and so am still reluctant to drop $650 if it is going to make my Boss sound like a GT - not that there's anything wrong with how a GT sounds, but it's not a Boss.

I agree!

But I also understand wanting more power and less weight. I will be torn on this one once mine gets delivered.

I don't suppose someone will be willing to try every combination out there so I can see in person how they sound different and how much more power they make on the dyno. ;D
 
1,255
0
GA
jimprw said:
I've got the impression from Gary (Cloud 9) that the stock mufflers have a fair amount of back pressure compared to aftermarket, and that after installing them the sound from the side exhausts is significantly reduced and routed to the back. Weight and performance is a good testimonial, but one of the best features of the Boss is the quad exhaust and unique sound. I'd want that to be maintained, and so am still reluctant to drop $650 if it is going to make my Boss sound like a GT - not that there's anything wrong with how a GT sounds, but it's not a Boss.

The GT sound is too tame for my taste. I have the FRPP power pack on order, which includes 50-state touring mufflers which are supposed to sound better. I am not twenty-something, so I don't want it too loud but I do want to hear a nice exhaust note. The Bullitt had a beautiful exhaust note that could go from mellow to in-your-face at WOT, which I miss.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,523
2,331
Arizona, USA
I have the Roush mufflers w/ open side pipes and love the sound. Here's a clip blasting around a track to help you get the idea of it:

[youtube]PkkCz023VHs&hd=1[/youtube]
 
548
0
PJWANNABE said:
jimprw said:
I've got the impression from Gary (Cloud 9) that the stock mufflers have a fair amount of back pressure compared to aftermarket, and that after installing them the sound from the side exhausts is significantly reduced and routed to the back. Weight and performance is a good testimonial, but one of the best features of the Boss is the quad exhaust and unique sound. I'd want that to be maintained, and so am still reluctant to drop $650 if it is going to make my Boss sound like a GT - not that there's anything wrong with how a GT sounds, but it's not a Boss.

The GT sound is too tame for my taste. I have the FRPP power pack on order, which includes 50-state touring mufflers which are supposed to sound better. I am not twenty-something, so I don't want it too loud but I do want to hear a nice exhaust note. The Bullitt had a beautiful exhaust note that could go from mellow to in-your-face at WOT, which I miss.
I've been thinking seriously about the Ford Racing mufflers too...let me know how you like them.
 
I am wondering about a purchase of the Ford Racing/Borla "Stinger" exhaust kit.....anyone know anything about it?

I am just looking for some type of axle back to give the car some more "growl" and breath better. Any ideas would be appreciated.
 
335
1
SUPRMN said:
I am wondering about a purchase of the Ford Racing/Borla "Stinger" exhaust kit.....anyone know anything about it?

I am just looking for some type of axle back to give the car some more "growl" and breath better. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tons of options out there. Go to latemodelrestoration.com They seem to list every exhaust that is available for mustangs. Then search youtube for the sounds of the exhausts you are interested in... I am going with the Stainless Works Retro hpipe back exahust. It replaces more than just the axlebacks but doesn't require a tune and will shed even more weight.... And the sound is killer..........
 
SUPRMN said:
I am wondering about a purchase of the Ford Racing/Borla "Stinger" exhaust kit.....anyone know anything about it?

I am just looking for some type of axle back to give the car some more "growl" and breath better. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I love the Corsa Extremes I put on mine. I've had countless compliments on the sound combined with open side pipes. You drop over 30 lbs just doing axle backs and free up a lot of back pressure. The most noticable thing is that the sound now gets distributed between the rear of the car (preferred for me and obviously freeing back pressure from stock) and the side pipes. With the stock mufflers and discs removed, almost all the exhaust flows out the side indicating a very high restriction from factory mufflers. Given their enormous size and weight, that's no surprise. From what I can tell from others you can also accomplish similar results with the Roush axle backs, but I've not heard them in person.
 
548
0
"distributed" is what I've been wanting to confirm. Didn't want to switch out only to have the side pipes made mute as they are an essential part of the Boss sound. Good info.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top