Anyone use Pirelli 315/705/19 slicks on their GT350R?

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by tracktardicus, Jan 7, 2019.

1. tracktardicus

tracktardicus TMO Intermediate

I'm looking at getting some scrubs for the upcoming track season. Another GT350 driver in my region has successfully used 305/690/19 tires, but apparently they are no longer available. Ferrari Challenge is now using 315/705/19 slicks. Rear fitment should be OK, but not sure about the front. Has anyone used these sizes?

2. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Keep in mind that is a 3 point bump in NASA to go with the Pirellis ---could pop you out of class in TT?

3. tracktardicus

I think there's wiggle room, but in the end I don't think it will matter much. I don't expect to be competitive against the Hoosiered and aero'ed Corvettes in my class that are 600 pounds lighter. TT is a safer and faster group with fewer restrictions than HPDE, so TT it is.

4. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Oh, I know ,it is just that the point .3 factor when using Pirelli slicks could move you right up into TT1 instead of TT2.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. AustinGT350

AustinGT350 TMO Intermediate

Steve, you really think TT is safer than DE?

I got offered to get bumped into 4 but I didn't want to run with the TT guys out of fear, they have actual numbers they are chasing.

6. tracktardicus

Austin,
    I know most of the drivers in TT, and I will usually have a discussion with the drivers in my class prior to the first session to ensure I stay out of their way, or otherwise do what I can when they are in the middle of a flyer for points/contingencies. And this season I also will be running for contingencies. Also, since grid is determined by lap times in TT as opposed to random gridding in 3/4, there is less likelihood of interfering with other driver's flyers (except for Val in his mad stronk Corvette of doom, he laps everyone.)
    Group 3/4 is often pretty crowded, and I don't know many of the drivers, so from my perspective there is less unpredictability in TT as well.
    I also have the option of running in 3/4 if I let the group leader know and it's less crowded than usual.

7. AustinGT350

AustinGT350 TMO Intermediate

I see.

Yes Val is out of his mind.