The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone with recent Motor Warranty Claim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTMikey said:
I went through this and eventually went to another dealer that seemed to have a better relationship than with Ford and I had a new motor in a week. Compression was below 155 on all 8 cylinders. New Motor Rocks

After the service experience I just had, the thought of changing dealers has crossed my mind.

When I picked the car up tonight, they provided the Ford Engineering/Hot Line tkt. info. and the dialogue between the Dealer Tech and Engineering. The dealer gave the history info., i.e. in previously for same concern (late last summer), looked @ plugs and replaced PCV. Response from Ford was to monitor oil consumption again and if still high to perform manual Compression & Leak down tests....and if results indicate problem, replace short block.

Guess what I'm wondering is what happens if it's a problem in the valve train somewhere.....I don't think the above tests would show them that?

Update: I've now burned through another quart/liter of oil, putting approx. 1600 kms/1000 miles on it. Back to the dealer she goes Monday morning. Will keep the board posted on what happens next.

Macker said:
Update: I've now burned through another quart/liter of oil, putting approx. 1600 kms/1000 miles on it. Back to the dealer she goes Monday morning. Will keep the board posted on what happens next.

Hum, I see a short block comming your way.
Good luck with your dealer.

Update: Ford Hotline/Engineering ordered a compression test which was performed today. Cylinders tested in spec. Data has now been provided back to Ford, awaiting next step(s) (Day 3 in the shop).

Wonder where the oil is going?? Absolutely NO leak evidence when the car sits in my garage, for any amount of time. You would think with the amount of oil being lost , that if it was leaking, I'd find some evidence of it, even if some of it was somehow being burned off (leaking on hot engine/exhaust part(s)?

Good news. Spoke to my dealer service rep this morning and it looks like I"m getting a new long block. Sounded like they were initially proposing a short block, but after the costs were sent back to Ford, a long block made more sense.

Anyways, I'm finally feeling better about this whole ordeal and hope like others on here that have had issues, the new long block solves them! I'm told the new motor should arrive some time next week. Trying to get the car back for the weekend so I can take it out and enjoy it with the nice thanksgiving weather we're expecting (Toronto).

Macker said:
Good news. Spoke to my dealer service rep this morning and it looks like I"m getting a new long block. Sounded like they were initially proposing a short block, but after the costs were sent back to Ford, a long block made more sense.

Anyways, I'm finally feeling better about this whole ordeal and hope like others on here that have had issues, the new long block solves them! I'm told the new motor should arrive some time next week. Trying to get the car back for the weekend so I can take it out and enjoy it with the nice thanksgiving weather we're expecting (Toronto).

Glad to hear everything worked out in your favor.

So here's the latest on my motor claim. Took 8 days to get the new long block from Ford Tennessee to the dealer in Oshawa. Started the work to swap out the motor this past Monday Oct.26 and were road testing it yesterday (Thursday). Apparently it idles fine, but when they get on it, has problems. Something to do with CAM phaser?/variable valve timing on one of the banks. They have ordered a part to replace, so have to wait until at least Monday before I know whether my car is finally done/working.

Brand new long block, so you gotta wonder about the quality here. I mean, the tech wouldn't have been messing with anything CAM wise, just reassembling the components, i.e. intake, accessories, connecting wiring harnesses etc.

Sure hope the happy ending comes next Monday.......

Macker said:
So here's the latest on my motor claim. Took 8 days to get the new long block from Ford Tennessee to the dealer in Oshawa. Started the work to swap out the motor this past Monday Oct.26 and were road testing it yesterday (Thursday). Apparently it idles fine, but when they get on it, has problems. Something to do with CAM phaser?/variable valve timing on one of the banks. They have ordered a part to replace, so have to wait until at least Monday before I know whether my car is finally done/working.

Brand new long block, so you gotta wonder about the quality here. I mean, the tech wouldn't have been messing with anything CAM wise, just reassembling the components, i.e. intake, accessories, connecting wiring harnesses etc.

Sure hope the happy ending comes next Monday.......

Went down to the dealer today and spoke to the Tech doing the work. The car was throwing a P0012 code and experiencing some hesitation when running it up the rpm's. Idles perfectly fined. Did some testing and the code and behaviour point to a bad CAM phaser on the intake side. So that will be replaced on Monday.

Brand new motor and it has a faulty CAM phaser?? Sure hope that's it.

And for those that don't know what a CAM phaser is (like me!), here's some info.:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7210662_cam-phasers_.html

When you spoke with the tech, did you feel confident that he knew what he was doing?
I ask, because I have trust issues with dealers, and so far I've ended up going with private shops for major jobs... even when the car was under warranty (i.e. trans and diff).

I really hope it all works out for you. Keep us updated and best of luck!

F.D. Sako said:
When you spoke with the tech, did you feel confident that he knew what he was doing?
I ask, because I have trust issues with dealers, and so far I've ended up going with private shops for major jobs... even when the car was under warranty (i.e. trans and diff).

I really hope it all works out for you. Keep us updated and best of luck!

Thanks F.D., I did feel like he knew what he was talking about, just found it odd that a brand new motor would have such a problem (failed part). Bad luck? Perhaps. I guess the bottom line is, it's with a Ford dealer and they hopefully have the resources (Ford Hot Line/Engineering) to help get to the bottom of the issue.

I do have to admit feeling kind of helpless though. You're really at their mercy since the car is under warranty and they've now swapped the motor out.

Will provide an update later on Monday when I get the word from the dealer.

My other concern is that I'm running out of good weather here and want to run the car so I can get a good start on breaking in the new engine, but the weather might not permit that. Have to hope winter holds off till sometime in December.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It's totally possible so don't be too upset about it, the really good news is that you received a new Boss 302 long block, which basically has everything except intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel system etc.

More good news is that replacing a cam phaser is not a complicated repair.

It's nice that they found this issue before the returned the Boss to you. Plus you can smile about the $15 - $18 grand you didn't pay to the independent repair shop to fix the blown U Code 302.

I expect you'll be happy once you receive the car back from the Dealer.

Good Luck and please keep us posted.
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
It's totally possible so don't be too upset about it, the really good news is that you received a new Boss 302 long block, which basically has everything except intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel system etc.

More good news is that replacing a cam phaser is not a complicated repair.

It's nice that they found this issue before the returned the Boss to you. Plus you can smile about the $15 - $18 grand you didn't pay to the independent repair shop to fix the blown U Code 302.

I expect you'll be happy once you receive the car back from the Dealer.

Good Luck and please keep us posted.
302 Hi Pro

Thanks 302 Hi Pro for the encouraging words. I'm extremely happy that Ford stepped up to replace the motor under warranty and I hope you're right that things will be as they should once they replace the phaser.

One thing I had read about on this forum was something about new wiring harness(es) (https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6670.msg137045#msg137045 ) in the 13's vs. earlier versions on the 12's. Connectors to the CAM phasers were different on the later 12 and 13's. My car was delivered to the original owner in June 2011 (#749) so not sure if it had the newer harness/connectors or not. No mention of that by the tech to me, but I didn't know about it until after I spoke to him. Assume if it was an issue, they would have fixed that as well to accommodate the new motor. I'll have to ask when I pick up the car....

Macker

All new engines will have the new connectors. It's part of the tech bulletin that comes with an engine replacement. I'd be surprised if they didn't know that.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, thank goodness for production changes and tech bulletin updates!

My Boss is number 2,800 and was built in the third week of November 2011. It has the new cam phaser, (larger) connectors.

Remember, you'll have to go through another engine break-in period for the first 1,000 miles. Might be a good idea to read the Boss owners manuals and go with Ford's recommendations. Note: You'll find many different opinions on this, but when you think about it, go with what Ford is telling you.

Keep all of your Warranty RO's as this will fully document your Service Engine Replacement for your Boss.

Will look forward to reading your post engine replacement posts.
All,the Best,
302 Hi Pro

VooDooBOSS said:
All new engines will have the new connectors. It's part of the tech bulletin that comes with an engine replacement. I'd be surprised if they didn't know that.

So I guess the approach would probably be to change the connector (smaller) on the existing wiring harness to accommodate the new larger connector on the engine.......as opposed to a complete wiring harness change out?

302 Hi Pro said:
Yes, thank goodness for production changes and tech bulletin updates!

My Boss is number 2,800 and was built in the third week of November 2011. It has the new cam phaser, (larger) connectors.

Remember, you'll have to go through another engine break-in period for the first 1,000 miles. Might be a good idea to read the Boss owners manuals and go with Ford's recommendations. Note: You'll find many different opinions on this, but when you think about it, go with what Ford is telling you.

Keep all of your Warranty RO's as this will fully document your Service Engine Replacement for your Boss.

Will look forward to reading your post engine replacement posts.
All,the Best,
302 Hi Pro

Yep, saw the reference to engine breaking in the user manual and will follow it. Gotta go with the advice of those who designed/created it. And I'll absolutely hold onto all the Work Order/documentation post engine swap. I think Ford's warranty on replacement is 1 yr. or 20K kms.....whichever comes first.

Thanks,
Macker

Well I finally have my Boss back after spending the better part of 7.5 days with the dealer getting a new long block and subsequently a new intake cam phaser which was found faulty on the brand new motor.

Drive home was fine, taking her through the gears, but no WOT runs. Shop foreman said to drive the car as you normally would, though recommended not tracking it until some miles have been put on the new motor. Well, don't have to worry about that because it's now too cold here to even think about tracking it.

Fingers crossed that things go well from here and no more trips back to the dealer.

FYI - I asked the service advisor if there was any additional warranty applied to the newly installed long block and was told that it would follow the drive train warranty end date (for me that's next June). If I had paid out of my own pocket to have the motor replaced (out of warranty), then a 1 yr./20K kms. warranty would apply.

One other interesting note: The previous owner bought a Premium Care extended warranty when he purchased the car. The extended warranty is NOT automatically transferred to the next owner. Called Ford Canada today and you have to get the original purchaser to write/sign a letter of consent to transfer the extended warranty to the new owner (me) and then submit to a Ford dealer to get submitted and the warranty transferred. Didn't need the extended warranty thankfully, as the standard drive train warranty is still in effect, so that covered it all.

Thanks to all those that offered advice/encouragement and suggestions.

Cheers,
Macker

TMO Supporting Vendors