The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are these pads still good for 5 sessions at COTA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMG_0014.jpg

I just took my brakes apart with the intent to install Caliperfexion studs and new G-LOC R12 pads. I got the studs in, but given how much pad is left on these guys I'm tempted to leave them as is for next Saturday's track day at COTA.

Would you more experienced guys agree that these have lots of life left in them?

That's a tough question. It's a judgement call. It all depends how hard you push your car and brakes.
If you have the funds its best to replace and keep those for spares. Now if you have spares then use those pads. Nothing worse than paying for track time and cutting it short because you have no pad life left.
Hope I helped.

Appreciate the input. I have some G-LOC R12 pads that I can install. My only hesitation is that I'm not looking forward to sanding the pad material off of the rotors as I switch back and forth.

Life is hard :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A small DA sander works wonders for removing pad residue. A high speed pneumatic sander is not needed. Get a small light weight electric palm sander and you will spend less than 5 minutes on a rotor. I can sand the rotors on my Boss with them on the car. Depending upon the sander, you may be able to sand the rotors with the calipers in place.

I appreciate the input! If I had another set of OEMs I'd just bring them with me and swap them out at the track. With Caliperfexion studs installed that'd be easy.

Since my back up pads are a different compound and I really don't feel like sanding rotors at the track, I feel like I need to commit to getting the G-LOCs done tomorrow or ordering some OEMs ASAP. But I'm fence-sitting...

@I-Man I think you have plenty of pad left, I wouldn't be too concerned about running them out as much as I like selling brake pads..

On sanding, I tried the electric sanders and wasn't too impressed. Hand sanding with 80 grit really doesn't take that long, maybe a 1/2 hour for the front. I find using your hand as the sanding block cleans the rotor up better than the larger surface of a sander.

Hey OPMustabg Tim!

We'll, the good news for you is that I swapped in my new G-LOC R12 fronts. I tried the 80 grit hand method and it was taking way too long, so I velcroed some 80 grit to my 3" Griots random polisher and went to town. It worked great. I sanded then washed, sanded then washed, sprayed and wiped and called it good. It's impressive how much material came off.

I'm not gong to have time to put the G-LOC R10s in the rear. We'll see how she does with OEMs in the back (which should have plenty if meat left).

Tanks again, all!

TMO Supporting Vendors