The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AutoMeter Wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Need a quick sanity check fellas...

Installing an AutoMeter oil temp gauge and I need a 12v ignition source and a 12v dim source. Referring to the fuse diagram, I could use fuse #23 power windows for 12v ignition and fuse #32 display and gauges for the 12v dim, correct?

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The dim source needs to have the voltage change with the dash dimmer control. You don't want to use the constant 12v at the fuse box, but instead tap the output of the dash dimmer. There's a part in this video that shows you - 12v source starts about 2:00 and the dim source about 2:35. This is on an S197; I'm hoping the S550 is similar.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Did you get this installed? I have the Mishimoto oil cooler installed and want to add an oil temp gauge. Where did you end up mounting the gauge?
Yes, got it all installed.
I mounted the gauge on the A-pillar using Autometer's A-pillar mount. Then power and ground go down and through the dash to the passenger fuse box. Used a add-a-line fuse tap at fuse # 23 for 12v power and grounded it in the same area. I skipped the dimmer 12v for now - can always wire that in later.

I deviated from the Mishi instructions too. Drilled new holes in the mounting plate to get the cooler mounted more rearward and their instructions are backwards for attaching the oil lines to the sandwich plate.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
It is not correct. The way they instruct buyers to assemble it (as shown) would have oil enter the cooler from the top port and exit the cooler from the bottom port which would trap air in the cooler and therefore make it less efficient.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel