The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Baseline Dyno'd the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SO guys based on this I would like to re-visit my question of shifting to fifth on long straight-aways. Any addition input on a better RPM shift?

Gary been biting my tongue on changing you avatar, looks better!!!!

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
Sorry, but I just don't believe it. I don't even know if I would have believed it if it was dynoed on a Dynojet let alone a Mustang dyno. It's not like we have seen a lot of dyno results posted but nothing close to this has been posted. ???
I should just take mine in, but I would prefer to wait for TracKey and pull them side by side. Hopefully it will be available soon.

I'm right there with you. I have a dyno just a few miles from my house but I don't want to do it all over again when Trackey comes.

2012Boss said:
SO guys based on this I would like to re-visit my question of shifting to fifth on long straight-aways. Any addition input on a better RPM shift?

Gary been biting my tongue on changing you avatar, looks better!!!!

My answer doesn't change.

BossJockey said:
My answer doesn't change.

Thanks, thought I would ask again anyway.

Sebring was a learning experience for me. The back stretch is long but not as long as Palm Beach so I was not in 5th too long. The problem for me was the front stretch, just shy of 2800 feet, I need to shift or I would red line but by the time you shift you are there for a couple of short seconds. I ended up just staying in 4th and lifting toward the end of the day, there was a ton of pavement in the turn so when I did this I hardly had to use the brakes. May not be the fastest way around but I doubt the difference was much and I still had fun.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Weather cooled off a bit here in AZ this week, took her in to get a baseline dyno. 68* w/ 18% humidity.

2550 miles on the car now.
Mods: K&N filter, Roush Mufflers, Open sidepipes.

Run 2 (Red Line)is the K&N.
Run 4 (Blue Line) is the Stock Paper Filter.

Not much difference, K&N might have a slight advantage from 5000rpm to 6800 or so.

bsFvx.png

Impressive. I've heard swapping out the stock mufflers is good for a few HP. You'll have to do another run when you get TK.

ArizonaGT said:
I already told the shop owner I'd be back when TK is released :)

I'd bet the mufflers are good for 5hp or so.

Was this on pump 91 octane?

PM me the shop and next time you plan on going, I might drive up and dyno also. ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
AZBoss302 said:
Was this on pump 91 octane?

PM me the shop and next time you plan on going, I might drive up and dyno also. ;D

Yep, 91 octane from Quik Trip...will do on the PM! Probably sometime in November, once the TracKey cal is installed!

Shop is Arizona Dyno Chip in Chandler. On 54th between Chandler and Ray. http://www.arizonadynochip.com/

Here is my baseline dyno. Strange that my torque curve has some strange stuff going on. ???
There were 2 other Bosses dynoed. One other LS at 414 and a CO at 396. All stock with side pipes open.
BossLSDyno.png

Wow really good #s! Does it make sense that we are seeing so much variability between the output of stock Bosses? This situation is even more curious since both were done on the same dyno. It appears from the note on the chart that your run was SAE corrected.

cloud9 said:
Wow really good #s! Does it make sense that we are seeing so much variability between the output of stock Bosses? This situation is even more curious since both were done on the same dyno. It appears from the note on the chart that your run was SAE corrected.

Yes, the numbers are corrected. Uncorrect HP on the last run was 428. This graph is the 3rd and last pull. The first pull was 409, second at 412 and the last at 418. He said that it was running a little leaner after each pull. He also said that he could see 5 or 6 degrees of timing difference between the CO's 396 pull and my pulls. I assume that the other Bosses were using the same fuel as I was but not possitive. I bought mine at the track although it could have been possible that the CO was still on his original tank of fuel and I wouldn't know where he bought it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dean#4AI said:
The thought crossed my mind but didn't want to open that can of worms and the ensuing sh*tstorm that would follow. ::)

It's just a thought, but your LS, Adam81s LS on TMS, and the Edmunds First Look LS all dynoed around 415whp. So far looks like the non LS bosses are in the 400 range.

Some have put down 360-370 on Mustang dynos.

All of this stuff is all dependent on the dyno, however.

ArizonaGT said:
Dean#4AI said:
The thought crossed my mind but didn't want to open that can of worms and the ensuing sh*tstorm that would follow. ::)

It's just a thought, but your LS, Adam81s LS on TMS, and the Edmunds First Look LS all dynoed around 415whp. So far looks like the non LS bosses are in the 400 range.

Some have put down 360-370 on Mustang dynos.

All of this stuff is all dependent on the dyno, however.

Dyno figures will vary greatly depending on the air conditions and altitude.

My LS is the one that did 414 that Dean was referring to. Final numbers were 414 hp and 368 tq. Same thing happened with mine. Each pull produced better results as it kept leaning itself out. I think I ended at 12.5 AFR or so. There was some left in it.... This was on a dynojet and was SAE corrected.

In the beginning of the thread something was posted about a Boss doing 420-430. I don't believe it. Even our uncorrected graphs didn't report that much.

Also I need to make something clear. For some reason I have been ignored on this...... Dean must have had 100 oct in there or the grill mod produces AT LEAST 5 hp and tq. Everyone knows the silver cars are faster...... :eek:

TMO Supporting Vendors