The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bell M4 or Bell Sport Helmet Group Buy - Track Day Solutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
We still have some time. Bell's run large compared to imported helmets. Also go by circumference not hat size. And it should be pretty snug, not loose at all.

BOSS343

Theory of 1
Pete,

How many measurements did you take? Also I am curious as to how much my currently longer hair would make after a trim... I wonder if a certain place could make track stickers to fit on the helmet rather than the car...

I would possibly be in for one, not for sure on which model, tho. I need to get one anyway for future track days. I'm not for sure on size either. I will have to check but I think my motorcycle (Arai) is a medium and it fits really good. If you could PM me with a price on both models once you get a final price on them. Thanks.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
rcode1965 said:
I would possibly be in for one, not for sure on which model, tho. I need to get one anyway for future track days. I'm not for sure on size either. I will have to check but I think my motorcycle (Arai) is a medium and it fits really good. If you could PM me with a price on both models once you get a final price on them. Thanks.

Please see instructions in my previous post in this thread. Also, a medium Arai helmet (or any non-US made helmet) does not necessarily equate a medium Bell helmet. Again, as stated in the previous post please see http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/bell_helmets for a PDF of the details, including how to measure for correct helmet size selection.

this may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between the sport and m4?
i currently have the sport SA2005, and would like to upgrade to something a little lighter. Unfortunately, bell's website isn't much help in determining the difference between the two.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
F.D. Sako said:
this may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between the sport and m4?
i currently have the sport SA2005, and would like to upgrade to something a little lighter. Unfortunately, bell's website isn't much help in determining the difference between the two.

Not a dumb question at all. Major difference is the viewport on the M.4 is larger. I believe the cushioning inside is a little more substantial but I will check on that.

As far as helmet weight is concerned, if you wish to have a helmet that actually feels lighter (meaning it has enough of a weight difference that you could significantly notice it) and have one that is safer because of it's light weight, you are probably looking at a totally different class of helmet. One option would be the Bell GP-2. To get the helmets "ultra light" you probably need to go carbon fiber. There are 2 classes carbon fiber composite and carbon fiber layered. The carbon fiber layered models have the look of traditional carbon fiber where you can see the weave of the carbon fiber layered through a clear epoxy resin. These are the most expensive. The carbon fiber composite models use carbon fibers mixed in with the normal helmet composite plastics. These don't 'look' like carbon fiber and are usually full white or black in color, or they may be painted. I have an HJC that is carbon composite: http://hjc-motorsports.com/HJCmotorsports/helmets/si-12/. It is probably one of the least expensive ultra lights that are made at that level quality and comfort.

Hope this helps.

-Pete

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
FWIW -
On Fit - I wear an M4 in Medium and I have a large head. You want a snug fit.

Price/cost - When I went to a race shop, they would only sell me an M4. Said the Sport model didn't hold up well. Also, I am protecting my head. In an accident I think the extra $80 to $100 is well spent.

We think nothing of spending $2k on tires/wheels. You will be glad you have an excellent helmet should something happen.

Brian

Pete, thank you for your description on the M4 vs Sport.

When i purchased my Bell Sport online, i measured the circumference of the widest part of my head, which was right above my eyebrows and ears, and i was able to use that measurement as "hat size" on Bell's sizing chart. When i received the helmet, initially it was a little tight, but once the foam broke in on the second day of use, everything fit great.

hope this helps people who don't get a chance to try the helmets out before purchase.

BOSS343

Theory of 1
batman48195 said:
23 1/4 and I wear a 7 3/8 hat. The helmet was snug but not tight. Perfect fit.

http://www.bellracing.com/about/sizing

I hope that helps.
Brian

Thats about what my head came out to be. Thats the size I am looking at getting. good to know a similar sized melon of a fellow member had good results.

I really like the Boss graphics on the left aft side of the helmet in the photos posted by NFSBoss.

Anyone know how to do/get that?

I see the offer includes a boss decal, but not the stripe/Boss graphic lifted off the car. . .and sadly, being north of the border means I can't take advantage of the great offer bing put together here.

Bad Pony said:
I really like the Boss graphics on the left aft side of the helmet in the photos posted by NFSBoss.

Anyone know how to do/get that?

I see the offer includes a boss decal, but not the stripe/Boss graphic lifted off the car. . .and sadly, being north of the border means I can't take advantage of the great offer bing put together here.
Track Day Solutions sells them. Check their website.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel