The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BMO Members to the Rescue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just returned from a 2500 mile journey to Superfest @ VIR (note the fresh snow on the mountain)

IMG_0704_zpsa3e2b99d.jpg

I finally made it back to VIR after almost a decade

IMG_0626_zpsbf619076.jpg

On Saturday, I spin coming out of turn 3 and hit the tire wall

IMG_0651_zpsddc2b590.png

steveespo comes over to assess the damage

"Doesn't look too bad," he says. "Bring it to garage 7 in 5 minutes"

It's our lunch break now, but Steve doesn't want to eat until the job is finished

He gets to work with such speed and efficiency that it's obvious he's done this before

The rear bumper cover and right rear tail light are off in a flash

He crawls under the car to remove the mangled left rear muffler

This is going to require some creativity

Nothing a jack handle and some leverage can't take care of

He's back under the car now making sure everything is lining up properly

PeteinCT makes his way over from the other side of the paddock to lend a hand

Pete is still in his pristine driving suit and has more than his fair share of things to deal with right now

He slides along the dirty floor to help Steve make the final adjustments down below

The muffler is secure and back on the hangers

Reinstall the tail light, bumper cover, wiring, trim and check to make sure that everything is working properly

IMG_0658_zpsdeceaa15.jpg

After about an hour in the garage, I'm ready to make the almost 1000 mile drive back home

IMG_0664_zps6db94362.png

I decided to make this trip to get some much needed track time and check out some cool cars

I almost forgot that it's really the people that make these things so special

IMG_0682_zps1d08f712.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Glad you made it home safely. It was a fun but tough weekend for a few of us. Helping one another is what a good forum is all about, this one is among the very best, we don't just hide behind a keyboard, we get after it when it counts. All the best.
Steve

A pleasure meeting all of you this past weekend. With any luck, my car will be finished and I'll meet you at a track event down the road. VT, if that is you house, I'm totally jealous. Nice view. Steve, thanks for the lesson on your Traqmate. I'm definitely going to have to get one, or something like it very soon. Pete, nice meeting you. Hopefully next time it will be on a more of a high note. Glad everyone made it home safely.

Wow that's a great story. I already held Steve in high regard, but that just might have moved him to sainthood. Hope I finally get to meet him in person at RA in about 5 weeks. Pete's a saint too but that damn NY attitude makes me think there's a little devil there too somedays ;D

Great story. We're all here to learn and have fun and helping each other goes hand in hand with that. I had the pleasure of meeting Steve last Summer at Laguna Seca for the Historic Races celebrating Shelby. I don't know him well but I do know he's a car nut extraordinaire and makes the rest of us car nuts look like amateurs. Good job guys!

A question about the photo with Steve and the three other guys. Who are they and is that the FR test car?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Wow that's a great story. I already held Steve in high regard, but that just might have moved him to sainthood. Hope I finally get to meet him in person at RA in about 5 weeks. Pete's a saint too but that damn NY attitude makes me think there's a little devil there too somedays ;D

Gary
Not a saint, just a guy who hates to see someone suffer when I can help. I had to cancel Road America due to my crack up. Too many open financial questions until all the insurance issues and repairs are settled. Both Brian at Nortwoods Shelby club and The Osthoff were very gracious in refunding our money. Really wanted to get together and run with you. It will happen in the future. Pete is just a Bronx Teddy bear, he likes to growl but he's a stand up guy at all times. Pretty good instructor too.
Steve

steveespo said:
Gary
Not a saint, just a guy who hates to see someone suffer when I can help. I had to cancel Road America due to my crack up. Too many open financial questions until all the insurance issues and repairs are settled. Both Brian at Nortwoods Shelby club and The Osthoff were very gracious in refunding our money. Really wanted to get together and run with you. It will happen in the future. Pete is just a Bronx Teddy bear, he likes to growl but he's a stand up guy at all times. Pretty good instructor too.
Steve
That's a bummer Steve, but totally understandable. Glad they worked with you on canceling. We might have to target Chuckwalla version 2.0 next February and get together with the Cali boys. You said the wife wanted to go to a nice place. Palm Springs in February is tough to beat for us Northerners :)

The person standing to the left is Mark Wilson. I am guessing the guy with his back to you might be Filip Trojanek of Cortex Racing? Steve, who is that guy to standing on the right? :) FR is Ford Racing test car. They had the original Boss 302S mule that they have done all their testing with there as well as another Boss.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
Great story. We're all here to learn and have fun and helping each other goes hand in hand with that. I had the pleasure of meeting Steve last Summer at Laguna Seca for the Historic Races celebrating Shelby. I don't know him well but I do know he's a car nut extraordinaire and makes the rest of us car nuts look like amateurs. Good job guys!

A question about the photo with Steve and the three other guys. Who are they and is that the FR test car?
Rick
That is Mark Wilson facing the camera, speaking with one of the Cortex principals about building a 500 whp long block with another gentleman I didn't get to speak to. The car is a FR development mule that Mark drove some, giving some hyperdrives. I followed him during a hyperdrive and picked up some lines that helped me improve on Sunday It has the CJ intake with the tooling prototype for the CAI and some interesting remote reservoir Coil over dampers. It also had a cool roll bar.
Mark is a great Ambassador for Ford, very personable and he took the time to talk to just about anyone who approached him. He (and Ford) truly care what we think and what we want from our car company. They know we are out here spreading the word about how good the Mustang and other Ford products are which is why they support our passion so well. It's good to know that there are other car nuts on the inside of a huge global corporation like Ford. Mark is one of those people, and I hope I have the opportunity to spend time with him again to talk about all the things he couldn't. (the future Mustang, how much it weighs, IRS?, power?) he is a tough cookie. The Capaldi, PA and Rehagen guys were all very friendly as well, willing to share info and just bench race with us.

Awesome story! The guys on BMO consistently answer questions and lead productive discussions. I guess they double as an excellent emergency crew @ the track as well! Great to see you guys all meeting up and enjoying your 302's at the track.

Hope the repairs go smooth and your back at the track asap!

On a side note, wow that Ford Racing car looks beastly. I want! Btw, does anyone know what brand those black wheels are?

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I just have to say that I have been thinking about taking my car to a hooked on driving session or something similar, but with all of the posts about tire walls lately, I think I will give this thought up!!! The desire to really see the potential of the car makes me seriously question my driving ability and, honestly, I don't feel like I am that good!!!

Sorry that you had an issue but these types of forums are FULL of great people and that is why I spend my time here as well as on Boss302.com....

John

sadil said:
Awesome story! The guys on BMO consistently answer questions and lead productive discussions. I guess they double as an excellent emergency crew @ the track as well! Great to see you guys all meeting up and enjoying your 302's at the track.

Hope the repairs go smooth and your back at the track asap!

On a side note, wow that Ford Racing car looks beastly. I want! Btw, does anyone know what brand those black wheels are?

Ford Racing BBS

Edit: Found a close up

IMG_0684_zps359d5942.jpg

jneary said:
I just have to say that I have been thinking about taking my car to a hooked on driving session or something similar, but with all of the posts about tire walls lately, I think I will give this thought up!!! The desire to really see the potential of the car makes me seriously question my driving ability and, honestly, I don't feel like I am that good!!!

Sorry that you had an issue but these types of forums are FULL of great people and that is why I spend my time here as well as on Boss302.com....

John

Please don't let my foolishness keep you from the track

I was pushing the car and my abilities too far

Believe it or not, HPDEs and such are usually a very safe environment (especially in the novice groups) and much better than tearing it up on public roads

VTBoss302 said:
Please don't let my foolishness keep you from the track

I was pushing the car and my abilities too far

Believe it or not, HPDEs and such are usually a very safe environment (especially in the novice groups) and much better than tearing it up on public roads

Agreed. I run in NASA and they have a top notch HPDE system. It is quite safe and the instructors are very helpful.

Tulsa, OK
Very cool story! I hate to see that you damaged your car but the damage doesn't appear too severe. :) kudos to Steve and Pete for helping you get back on track.

I'm always impressed by the friendliness, generosity, and overall helpful attitude that I see from the open track community on a consistent basis.

Thank you Steve, Pete, Mark and everyone else @ SVT Superfest

GULFWARVET_zps10588861.jpg

One hell of a Memorial Day Weekend

Wave it wide and high,

VTBoss302

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel