The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustangs and TMO Members at the CAM Challenge --- more posts to come from the Solo Nationals!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Some shots of DaveW in his bad black S197 Stang, Auteaux ( John LaRandeau ) and his long time friend Don Knop with their two Shelbys, Scott Peterson with his Red CAMC, and some other cool Mustangs at the Lincoln, Ne. Solo Nationals site. Just a quick pic of Sam Strano's 2022 F Street winning Mach 1 ---- I have kind of a fondness for Mach 1s, ha,ha!

IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9526.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Came home yesterday afternoon, but wandering back out there to see how some of the folks are doing? DaveW was in second place early in CAMC but fell back to 7th at the end of day one. He is in the trophies and can move up with good runs as the Class is so close. Emery Seaton had a bit of a rough day and is also in 7th in CAMT, but I expect him to roar back and move up in the trophies. I know Brian Meyer is just out of the trophies in F Street and Sam Strano is sitting in 2nd Place in that Class .149 back of the top trophy. Scott Peterson is farther down in CAMC , but he is running his 17 GT that is so close to stock few would know if he switched Classes. Like me, he is enjoying the camaraderie of so many friends we have been running with for 3 decades or more!

Will post more pics of things later today or tomorrow when I get back.............it has been a Pylon Party for all !!

I lost track of the CAM-T results except for JJ (we are in the same region). I was 2nd seed (IIRC) and finished 3rd overall in CAM-C.

The really cool thing, IMO, was that Al Unser Jr ran the speedway car in CAM-T and I think ended up finishing 3rd. He hasn't autocrossed in 7-8 months and obviously doesn't autocross "full time" nor on SCCA style courses very often, yet the raw talent on display during his 4 seeding runs was pretty amazing.

When my daughter and I were walking in the AM, he was in front of us and stopped to let us by as he analyzed the course. I didn't realize it was him until then. I told my daughter "That was Al Unser Jr" and she said "Who?" and I explained it and then she googled him and said "Holy Crap, that guy is here?"

The few times I have met him, he is just a super cool regular dude. So much respect for him.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was wandering around the CAM Challenge but I also was off checking some other areas , so I was only there for about an hour --- that was how you missed me PatientZero. I did watch and hang out with the guys during the runs in CAMC and CAMT since they ran at different times than I did, and thanks for posting about Matt Ramirez as I was not aware he is on the site. I did get pics of his car , it is flat gorgeous !

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
I expected the CAM Challenge to be a blast and it didn't disappoint. The fun course, close competition and dinner at the Museum of Speed were all awesome. Having "Little Al" competing too was a huge unexpected bonus.

My work assignment put me inline with the slalom. Watching the different drivers attack that course element was super educational. Sam (Samantha) Whitworth was cutting the slalom cones as though her Dad's car was a scalpel and not the near 2 ton monster it is. Al Unser Jr's lines were more ragged and he didn't "look" fast but the times said otherwise. Casey Stump (CAMT) looked smooth as silk everywhere. His driving reminds me of Charlie Clark (4 time National Champ & 100percenter) in his prime. Bill P, watch Casey next time and tell me if I am right.

Al Unser Jr is a racing hero of mine. His "You just don't know what Indy means" quote after winning the Indy 500 in 1992 touched me when I saw it live. It was also playing over and over in my head when I raced at the Runoffs at Indy in 2017 and 2021. Seeing Al Jr's 1994 Indy winning Penske car at the museum after dinner was a real cutting onions moment for me. Pretty much the same when I saw Al Unser Sr's Indy winning car. The car he drove to his 4th win.

IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
The really cool thing, IMO, was that Al Unser Jr ran the speedway car in CAM-T and I think ended up finishing 3rd.

I hate to be petty but I finished 3rd, Al Jr was 4th, lol. It was my birthday and probably the coolest thing I've ever done so I have to get that out there. :hellyeah:

Casey Stump (CAMT) looked smooth as silk everywhere. His driving reminds me of Charlie Clark (4 time National Champ & 100percenter) in his prime. Bill P, watch Casey next time and tell me if I am right.
@mustanghammer I am Casey and I greatly appreciate the kind words.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
I hate to be petty but I finished 3rd, Al Jr was 4th, lol. It was my birthday and probably the coolest thing I've ever done so I have to get that out there. :hellyeah:

@mustanghammer I am Casey and I greatly appreciate the kind words.

You're welcome and thank your wife again for the Cam Challenge photos!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Patient , would that be Richard or Kyle ......Petty, ha,ha! Heh, man , you know every one of us on here would love to tell our friends we trophied ahead of little Al, so go with the flow and thanks for holding up the TMO banner!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since I missed you at the CAM Challenge I think you are required to come up to Lincoln next year for some of the Regional Events like so many of your fellow KC Conedestroyers, ha. Great pics and see you in 24, I hope!

Some shots of DaveW in his bad black S197 Stang, Auteaux ( John LaRandeau ) and his long time friend Don Knop with their two Shelbys, Scott Peterson with his Red CAMC, and some other cool Mustangs at the Lincoln, Ne. Solo Nationals site. Just a quick pic of Sam Strano's 2022 F Street winning Mach 1 ---- I have kind of a fondness for Mach 1s, ha,ha!

View attachment 89253

View attachment 89254

View attachment 89255

View attachment 89256

View attachment 89257

View attachment 89258
The front splitter and rear wing on that S197 are very nice.. what are they?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will be happy to do this week, Blacksheep, and I almost feel like you , racing activities over the last few weeks and another coming up in a few more weeks!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Mr. Dave Whitworth please jump in soon and tell twistedneck what you have done on your wing and splitter --- enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors