The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Register Log in

S197 3V Boone's BBB '05 GT Optima & CAM Build

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
Update on the nightmare I'm hoping to wake up from:
My machinist can't do a sleeve on a single cylinder since it will distort the adjacent bore. He has bored my cylinder .010 over, and it didn't clean up all the mess. I've got a shadow in the bore, and my machinist says it won't hold compression like that. I'm going to tell him to go .020 over to see if it comes out. That is the largest bore on a modular engine I have ever heard of, and that would only leave 5.512mm of material between the bores. I'd need a full set of 3.720 pistons to make that work at about $1,600. This is my cheapest way out if the block cleans up at .020 over. If any block can handle the larger bore, it's the BOSS50 block I have, but I'm concerned the added stress of boost will cause further issues.

So I'm investigating new blocks.

1. A new BOSS50 block will run me $2K, and it will need to be honed and decked. I added some additional machining when I did this originally for a second knock sensor.
2. L&M will sleeve a 4.6L block for $2K, and they'll finish the machining to 3.700 bore for another $1K. I can reuse my 7 pistons doing this. I'll need to locate a good 3V block to make that happen. I'd loose the weight of the iron alloy block going down this road, which is a good thing.
3. Complete 5.3L short blocks will run me between $5K and $9K, depending on the builder and miscellaneous options.

I have some decisions to make.

ChrisM

No bad days.
Reaction score
I'd give some heavy consideration to #2. It seems like the most cost-effective and since you're adding FI, you'll want to save the weight versus the iron block I think. I don't know what the most reliable solution would be though. Sorry this is such a mess man. It's kind of easy to see why people trade up to the Coyote so quickly when there's so little support for the 4.6 any more.

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward sleeving the aluminum block. If the "shadows" don't come out of the bore at .020 over, I'll need a 3V block. I have Pro Dyno and L&M testing the market to see what they can find. Still not sure whether I'll have the machining work done locally or by L&M. We'll see how the bore looks at .020 over before I need to make a decision.

Fabman

Project: "Frankenstang"
Reaction score
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm leaning toward sleeving the aluminum block. If the "shadows" don't come out of the bore at .020 over, I'll need a 3V block. I have Pro Dyno and L&M testing the market to see what they can find. Still not sure whether I'll have the machining work done locally or by L&M. We'll see how the bore looks at .020 over before I need to make a decision.
I have a 4.6 short block w/forged rods/pistons (one bad piston)
I also have 6 of the stroker rods/pistons from Frankenstang.

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
Fabman, I may be at the point where I need to start hording parts for the NEXT issue, so I'll let you know if I'm going to make a nationwide sweep of 3V performance parts. Brutal that it's not "IF", it's "NEXT" now. You probably made a good call by pausing to take a look at the future. I may have to move so I can have someplace to store every item I could possibly need to keep this thing going.

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
Build direction chosen... The bore cleaned up at .020 over, so I'm ordering new pistons and keeping the iron alloy block. Total displacement will be 326 cu. in. for a 16% increase over stock. The order has been placed to Diamond. I took advantage of the opportunity to purchase "boost friendly" pistons, and I went with a 22cc dish (previously 6.9cc dish while NA) for a 9.5:1 CR. This will make it possible to run pump gas if I choose to do so. I'm definitely planning to run the car on E85 as long as I'm tracking the car. The higher octane and cooling characteristics of the E85 will be invaluable.

The Kenny Belle should make up for the torque loss from the lower CR down low, and I may end up with a little more boost than previously planned. I'm thinking I'll need to make about 13 psi to hit the 650whp target. First tune will still be on the large blower pulley (3 3/4"). We'll see how that goes, and I'll move to a slightly smaller pulley (3 1/2") if the call comes down from Captain Kirk for MORE POWER!! The comparatively large pulley sizes and Thumper tensioner combine to limit belt slip and are made possible by an overdrive crank pulley and some proven research by Fabman. I can't tell you how much I appreciate his help on this project.

Also, if you read my last post, I am going to move. Offer was accepted yesterday. There will be a new garage in my future with room to store parts, and tires, and wheels, and tools, and all the other crap I'm accumulating. I hope my new neighbors like the ground shaking thump of a V8.

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
In these uncertain times, it is equally important to rejoice and cry. So here are a couple of pictures so you can do both.
3V Head Carnage.jpg
Diamond 3.72 Pistons.jpg

Pistons are in the hands of my engine builder now for assemble and balancing. Maybe I'll be ready to roll when the world is "open" again.

Fabman

Project: "Frankenstang"
Reaction score
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
In these uncertain times, it is equally important to rejoice and cry. So here are a couple of pictures so you can do both.
View attachment 13992View attachment 13993

Pistons are in the hands of my engine builder now for assemble and balancing. Maybe I'll be ready to roll when the world is "open" again.
Ouch that head will give me nightmares....

TMO Supporting Vendors