The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Great read as always!

'Total' damping might be a bit low from what I can see in your video. IOW, either low speed and/or high speed could both be increased from that particular setting. I'd start with low speed increases until the lower frequency movements go away. If the low speed adjustment ends up much higher than where it was in the video, high speed may even need to be backed off.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah we tried a number of things; what is shown in the video is as good as we could get it with that spring setup. Going softer now.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This weekend I go back to Chuckwalla to develop a setup for bumpy tracks!

I have an alternate spring set in the car now. Last night I set the static ride heights and corner balanced it.
These figures are with 165# of driver ballast in the seat (and the seat in my usual position), fully fueled (16 gallons = 96#), Cool Shirt box relocated to the right rear trunk area (and full of water), and 42# of ballast in the spare tire well (some old brake rotors attached to a mount I fabricobbled together).
This weight will give me a 5-10# margin vs. my minimum competition weight of 3504#, even if I finish the race completely empty on fuel.
By subtraction, the car weighs around 3285# completely empty with no driver, fuel, ballast, cool shirt.
And adding/removing ballast in the tire well location didn't affect the corner balance at all, only the front/rear weight bias :)

1aT2pUQ.jpg

m6mocrb.jpg

Also, this morning I opened my wallet and registered for the May event at COTA with NASA TX. Looking forward to checking this track out in-person finally. I'll be heading there with my buddy who has an S550 race car. We will both be racing in ST2--should be good fun :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Play beasties boys "sabatage" on repeat during the trip to give yourself a mental edge lol.
LOL...4 straight hours of Sabotage towing :)
Looking forward to meeting you guys and offer any support I can while your here.
Thought you were moving out this way? Plans changed?
Going to try and make it for May but I don't think I can get off work. Tried to race NASA in Ft. Worth last weekend but my fuel air ratio was 15!
Wow, if you are talking WOT, that is not good! Check those O2s!

So after close scrutiny of your math. At my third grade level. The less IPA's, and pizza you partake of, the more weight you have to put in the trunk? Does not seem right.

I replaced the O2 sensors same result. Used a scan tool and it shows the O2 sensors aren't working. I found a repair in the wiring harness before the O2 connector. I hope that's it, if not it could take a while to figure out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I had a productive weekend of testing out at Chuckwalla. This weekend I am heading to a familiar local track for some wheel-to-wheel racing.
I will have some good data for analysis after that, will post a thorough update after I've had a chance to take a break!

dVx0hEf.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@ChrisM here are a few better ones...my buddy Will shot all of these "just screwing around"

l0foIuP.jpg

42TVrJk.jpg

oF0rOwv.jpg

SytfW00.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LOL

I also got a bunch from Caliphotography that I'll post later, but the shots I posted already are way cooler.

US
I had a productive weekend of testing out at Chuckwalla. This weekend I am heading to a familiar local track for some wheel-to-wheel racing.
I will have some good data for analysis after that, will post a thorough update after I've had a chance to take a break!

dVx0hEf.jpg
Which wing you got on there ? Do all the "Real" wings require the internal support in the trunk? The G-streams seem to sit higher than yours. I suspect you have already done all the research on the available wings. I have not been able to find anything about the internal support required for these true wings. Any recommendations for the weekend warrior? I run both faster tracks like Road America as well as shorter techical tracks like Gingerman and Mid Ohio. I have a RTR wicker bill looking thing on the car now and suspect it adds approximately zero down force lol. I do run the full LS front splitter and full 305 slicks square. Rear grip could definitely be better. Thanks- you ride looks fantastic!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Drlee50 This is an APR GT250 wing with AJ Hartman / RHR end plates.
I do not have additional reinforcement bracing the trunk, although I do have the 302S hard trunk stoppers.
It would not be a bad idea to have additional trunk reinforcement--that cannot hurt you.

Not sure what the right call is for a weekend warrior setup; but if you don't mind driving around with a wing on your car, APR, AJ Hartman / RHR, and G-Stream all make very effective options.

TMO Supporting Vendors