The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

NFSBOSS said:
I picked it up yesterday after work and so far so good. The clutch is lighter than stock and releases and grabs very high up in the movement. It's a bit grabby too but I expect that to wane as I get more miles on it. I haven't driven it much yet and may not get to put many miles on it before I hit Thunderhill next Friday. The installation was straight forward but the shop had some minor issues with parts so that caused a delay. I really won't have much to add until after next Friday.

I'm sure you will love it! My car has been at the dealer since the 23rd with the transmission out :(. They are rebuilding it. My McLeod clutch and flywheel are sitting there waiting to be bolted on. Was there some glitches with the McLeod stuff ? if so can you let me know so I can deal with sooner then later. Its already taking way to long. I went with the RST, so we can compare as we get them broken in.
Have missed two track days with the car in the dealer, really want to get it out and on a track. Will be the first out time out with the Boss! Did I read somewhere that McLeod wants the clutch broken in with 1,500 cycles (use) not miles , before hard use.
Also since Ford is rebuilding and not replacing the transmission, in their words to find out what is going wrong. I hope to post what they find and replace if they tell me.

No issues with the clutch but make sure your dealer has 8 new flywheel bolts on hand IN ADVANCE. They are not reusable. They also lost the clip that holds the clutch line in place so that was another two days for the clip to arrive. I think the RST will be fine but after talking to McLeod and a couple of shops I went with the RXT due to it's superior heat handling capabilities. That's the only reason.

Well, called and made an appointment with the one decent dealer in my area. Cant look at the car untill next week. Really bummed out. Cant make it to my first track day at Lime rock. Dealer also said if i have a shifter etc installed it will void my warranty. Makes no sense. Driving a race car with a glass transmission that i cant install a few minor things to make it work a bit better. I may just have to search for a dealer in other parts of the North East that will work with me. Its not like i have turbos going on the car and trying to claim warranty.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

Bloodykisses said:
Well, called and made an appointment with the one decent dealer in my area. Cant look at the car untill next week. Really bummed out. Cant make it to my first track day at Lime rock. Dealer also said if i have a shifter etc installed it will void my warranty. Makes no sense. Driving a race car with a glass transmission that i cant install a few minor things to make it work a bit better. I may just have to search for a dealer in other parts of the North East that will work with me. Its not like i have turbos going on the car and trying to claim warranty.
shifter voids your warranty....what if you buy a ford racing one and have them install it?

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER

Received 838 2012 back from my dealer,new trans,clutch and tob.They installed my MGW shifter,no charge so far very happy with every thing,will check out clutch for hang up soon,it does shift great with new shifter.Trans was junk when the tech took it apart,clutch wasn't much better.

Stopped in to make an appointment today. They acknowledged that they were aware the normal problems with the MT82. Explained no more into 5th, hard clutch pedal at higher RPM shifts sometimes and the gear lock out. Cant drop the car off for another week for work though. He said it should all be covered under warranty as long as they dont think the car was abused. Kind of upset me that the fate of my car is based on someones opinion who works for a company who doesnt want to give money away.

Bloodykisses said:
Stopped in to make an appointment today. They acknowledged that they were aware the normal problems with the MT82. Explained no more into 5th, hard clutch pedal at higher RPM shifts sometimes and the gear lock out. Cant drop the car off for another week for work though. He said it should all be covered under warranty as long as they dont think the car was abused. Kind of upset me that the fate of my car is based on someones opinion who works for a company who doesnt want to give money away.
If they turn you down, and I doubt they will, let us know and we'll get Deysha on your case.

Thank you very much. I really appreceate that. I think i am being paranoid but i dont have the best of luck.

Noticed about 20 minutes ago under acceleration with the window down i could hear a slight noise. Sounds almost like crumpling plastic chip bag or something. No grinding or anything. Only under acceleration is it doing this. Checked oil, All set. Put it in neutral revved it up no noise. Im assuming something else with clutch or transmission is messed up. Done driving it.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

Bloodykisses said:
Noticed about 20 minutes ago under acceleration with the window down i could hear a slight noise. Sounds almost like crumpling plastic chip bag or something. No grinding or anything. Only under acceleration is it doing this. Checked oil, All set. Put it in neutral revved it up no noise. Im assuming something else with clutch or transmission is messed up. Done driving it.

I know the feeling, just got mine back last night from the dealer. Been in there for over two weeks with the transmission apart. Missed a two day track event. I know you(and I) did not buy the car to put up with stuff like this. I thought about this for a month or so. Went through my options, fix or replace. Cost under 50k to replace.
A*Trade in on a GT with track pack , no same transmission.
B*Trade in on a GT500 , no to heavy and to expensive.
C*Buy something used , no just more problems and repairs$.
D*Keep the Boss, fix its gremlins and humble much more expensive cars on the track :).
I choose D. The Boss is worth a couple grand to make it right imo.
We have the transmission to upgrade (think clutch and fly wheel). Do this when they rebuild or replace.
The check engine light gremlins, (crankshaft position sensor).
Over heating at the track. (high flow Boss-s grill) (Tiger racing hood).
Of coarse there are other things that will come up when you start tracking this car. But that happens to every car that gets tracked. If you want to play you got to pay. I think if we look at the Boss and compare to other cars in the same performance area. We are way ahead in dollar to performance value, even if you invest in some up grades.
The Boss is a keeper, so be patient its worth it.
I will up date my experience with my car as I get to drive it and break it in.
*Full re-built transmission by ford.
*McLeod RST clutch.
*McLeod steel fly wheel.
*McLeod clutch line.
*Ford racing shift kit.
Will get out and drive this week end!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I haven't had a chance to really beat the hell out of the RXT yet (only about 200 miles so far) but she pops right back up as intended at high RPM shifts.

NFSBOSS said:
A new clutch is not the fix for the clutch sticking to the floor. :(
That flat out sucks Rick! OK, I know VERY little about clutch mechanisms and such, so bear with me with my "analysis." Is it possible that under track conditions something heats up, expands/distorts, and causes binding on the clutch pedal lever? Again, bear with me, I'm a chemical engineer, not a mechanical one. However I try my best to be civil... ::)

Fiddler49 said:
That flat out sucks Rick! OK, I know VERY little about clutch mechanisms and such, so bear with me with my "analysis." Is it possible that under track conditions something heats up, expands/distorts, and causes binding on the clutch pedal lever? Again, bear with me, I'm a chemical engineer, not a mechanical one. However I try my best to be civil... ::)

Yes. the clutch line. I had the clutch stick to the floor before I switched to a stainless steel clutch line, but I'm sure with others there could be other reasons.

NFSBOSS said:
Haven't we duscussed this enough? The clutch line does NOTHING. In fact I wonder if it hurts by holding too much heat. My clutch never stuck one single time until I installed the clutch line.

Well, it fixed my clutch pedal sinking issue...can't speak for others...to anyone having a similar problem a $60 part is probably worth trying before wasting $1500 on a clutch.

However, the stock plastic line WILL expand and that WILL cause the pedal to sink...but like I said, its only one possible solution. If you have bigger problems it probably won't fix it.

Justin

DGRacing said:
Well, it fixed my clutch pedal sinking issue...can't speak for others...to anyone having a similar problem a $60 part is probably worth trying before wasting $1500 on a clutch.

However, the stock plastic line WILL expand and that WILL cause the pedal to sink...but like I said, its only one possible solution. If you have bigger problems it probably won't fix it.
it fixed mine for about a month....band aid man I am telling you.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
Haven't we duscussed this enough? The clutch line does NOTHING. In fact I wonder if it hurts by holding too much heat. My clutch never stuck one single time until I installed the clutch line.

I removed the helper spring at lunch and no more sticking pedal or missed shifts.
is your mcleod sticking to the floor? if so that is very crappy man. if the assist spring removal stopped that then I would look heavily into getting the GT500 pedal assembly

TMO Supporting Vendors