The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Justin said:
is your mcleod sticking to the floor? if so that is very crappy man. if the assist spring removal stopped that then I would look heavily into getting the GT500 pedal assembly
The problem with all of this is there are no definitive answers on the clutch sticking (although the spring and design look to be). I'm really curious if the GT500 is actually different. The clutch feel after removing the spring wasn't as bad as I feared but I still like the stock feel better. If the GT500 isn't really different then maybe an aftermarket clutch helper spring is in order. I'll do some research on that.

Remember there are two issues owners are having: clutch pedal sticking to the floor and shifting lock out. So the good news is I didn't miss a shift yesterday in five sessions. I had hoped both would be fixed by replacing the clutch but it appears only one issue was resolved. I'm not calling it a fix yet until I drive Sonoma and Laguna Seca which I'll do in the next month. You use second gear at both of those tracks and I had lock out almost every time shifting from 2->3. Stay tuned.

BTW the clutch engagement is getting better but still far from ideal for me. I suspect the engagement will continue to improve.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

NFSBOSS said:
The problem with all of this is there are no definitive answers on the clutch sticking (although the spring and design look to be). I'm really curious if the GT500 is actually different. The clutch feel after removing the spring wasn't as bad as I feared but I still like the stock feel better. If the GT500 isn't really different then maybe an aftermarket clutch helper spring is in order. I'll do some research on that.

Remember there are two issues owners are having: clutch pedal sticking to the floor and shifting lock out. So the good news is I didn't miss a shift yesterday in five sessions. I had hoped both would be fixed by replacing the clutch but it appears only one issue was resolved. I'm not calling it a fix yet until I drive Sonoma and Laguna Seca which I'll do in the next month. You use second gear at both of those tracks and I had lock out almost every time shifting from 2->3. Stay tuned.

BTW the clutch engagement is getting better but still far from ideal for me. I suspect the engagement will continue to improve.
I am going to put the pedals in today. I will take pics of them both side by side. Just dreading the bleeding of the clutch....man what a pain in the ace it is

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

NFSBOSS said:

NSFBOSS, bummer on the pedal sticking. OK another gremlin to dispose of. Why do you think the removal of the clutch helper spring would fix the pedal sticking and at the same time be a band aid fix? If it works it works, its mechanical. There is a great post over on Boss 302 Forum & Club site under transmission, clutch etc. It has pictures of the GT 500 pedal set side by side with the 5.0 pedal pedal set. With instructions for spring removal for those of us that need it. So I will add spring removal to my list of fix's. We need to get the spring removal instructions up on our how to section.
In reading about the issue on different sites it seems that the pedal sticking to the floor happens at high rpm shifts and with the pedal pushed to the floor? Could it be as simple as that the spring design is faulty for high speed high rpm driving and when pushed to the floor during such the spring sticks? Has any one reported the pedal sticking during normal driving? Any reports of sticking on down shifts or all up shifts? Would a clutch stop adjusted to restrict the pedal from traveling to the floor and hitting the springs weak or sticking point during spirited driving be a fix?
Just thoughts, has any one tried a clutch stop?

Domestic Product said:
NSFBOSS, bummer on the pedal sticking. OK another gremlin to dispose of. Why do you think the removal of the clutch helper spring would fix the pedal sticking and at the same time be a band aid fix? If it works it works, its mechanical. There is a great post over on Boss 302 Forum & Club site under transmission, clutch etc. It has pictures of the GT 500 pedal set side by side with the 5.0 pedal pedal set. With instructions for spring removal for those of us that need it. So I will add spring removal to my list of fix's. We need to get the spring removal instructions up on our how to section.
In reading about the issue on different sites it seems that the pedal sticking to the floor happens at high rpm shifts and with the pedal pushed to the floor? Could it be as simple as that the spring design is faulty for high speed high rpm driving and when pushed to the floor during such the spring sticks? Has any one reported the pedal sticking during normal driving? Any reports of sticking on down shifts or all up shifts? Would a clutch stop adjusted to restrict the pedal from traveling to the floor and hitting the springs weak or sticking point during spirited driving be a fix?
Good points. My comments you refer to were made at different times with different experiences under my belt. While removing the spring appears to fix the problem I still think it's a band aid fix. It appears the part is poorly designed and from my perspective removing the spring doesn't fix it in the sense that if a part is defective or broken you replace it with either a new or superior part. That's clearly not the case here. Also I'm not ready to fully concede that this stops the clutch from sticking from the floor until I have a couple of more track days with it. I hope to confirm that in two weeks at Sonoma.

I tried a make shift clutch stop yesterday and it didn't work. Remember the clutch needs to be depressed almost fully in order to start the car so there's not much room to work with there. I used a 19mm socket and duct taped it to the back of the pedal. At first the car wouldn't start but on my second try it did. The clutch still stuck to the floor.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I just hit 1000 miles and today while doing some spirited driving had my first 3rd gear lockout while trying to shift from 2nd. I have the Barton shift bracket but hadn't installed it so now I guess I will and see if it helps.

Justin

Domestic Product said:
When I had the stock clutch removing the spring did not keep it from sticking to the floor. I have a centerforce DYAD twin disc in my car and it doesnt stick to the floor with the spring in place. Removing the assist spring has been covered here on the forum some where. I know the search function isnt the best. But the needle nose vice grip method is easy and quick. I have the stock pedal assembly out of my car so I can do a quick how too. I just installed the GT500 pedal assembly and its no different then just removing the assist spring.

Justin

Tucson302 said:
I just hit 1000 miles and today while doing some spirited driving had my first 3rd gear lockout while trying to shift from 2nd. I have the Barton shift bracket but hadn't installed it so now I guess I will and see if it helps.
I must have better luck then you guys. Mine shifts perfectly and the clutch works flawlessly for me. I have the MGW shifter in mine. MTL fluid and Centerforce DYAD. shifts great even at 8200 rpm.

Had something odd happen yesterday. I started my Boss up and my clutch just stuck to the about three quarters of the way to the floor. I was able to back it down my driveway and I was able to free it with my hand. I'm not super concerned but would like some input.

I did let my father drive my boss the day before and his driving style is little different for shifting. Maybe something he did lol

killerwill13 said:
Had something odd happen yesterday. I started my Boss up and my clutch just stuck to the about three quarters of the way to the floor. I was able to back it down my driveway and I was able to free it with my hand. I'm not super concerned but would like some input.

I did let my father drive my boss the day before and his driving style is little different for shifting. Maybe something he did lol
Could have been an anomaly or your slave is going. Most of us that have had the clutch stick did so at high RPM's.

Well, Dropped at dealer this morning. They called me a few minutes ago and told me they couldnt replicate any gear lock out, or sticking cluth pedal or course but they did get grinding 5th. They then started with because its a manual trans its most likely driver error and not fords. I wont know for a day or two if they'll cover it or not but with their attitude its not looking good. Im about 5 minutes away from a panic attack.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
Bloodykisses do not worry,Ford will replace your trans,and clutch,you need too talk tough to them to get there attention,it will take about 2 weeks if your head Tech gets on it.Do not except a rebuild. Just got mine back last week. New trans,clutch,tob.No charge,even installed my new MGW shifter for free. Gary

I hope so. Im waiting for them to call me tomorrow and see what they say. I havent had a legit tech call me yet. Just counter people that one says one thing one says another. I explained the car has 5100 miles on it and 600 were on it when i bought it, 1500 from the drive home from FL. So maybe 3000 are around my area from me. I can drive stick, not an issue. They just dont want to accept that theres an issue and its not because of me.

So, what's the bottom line on the resolution? Sounding like no one really knows for sure and a lot of theory that works for some and not others.

Normally the only folks complaining in any poll or forum are the ones with concerns. And rightfully so, but it always tends to work out that 90% +have not had an issue. Maybe because they do not drive it as intended , like the Boss Owners are encouraged to do.

So, I if someone had a bad unit, loved the car and wanted to skip all the drama.

Do you suggest a Boss S Shelby Trans and Exeedy Clutch?. Can't imagine the Grand AM folks have these concerns. The pedals in the S are stock Boss from what I can tell, as is the slave, the only other difference is the metal clutch hyd line. Which I assume is only there for the heat, otherwise , mechanically the same thing.

Trust me the engineers in testing, do not miss much, but probabilities come into play when you are a lower margin mfg.

Justin

If I had the money I would just ditch the MT-82 and strap in a T-56XL with a Centerforce DYAD clutch and a Nice MGW shifter for it along with a custom made DSS driveshaft and call it a wrap. If that didnt fix it then I would give up

Yeah me too. They called me this morning and said they need a few more days with the car to figure out what the plan is. I think over winter i will save for a new set up like you listed justin instead of suspension and aero.

I didn't realize the S and R trans were different. Did a little homework and it appears the R gets some Wazoo close ratio road race specific version. Was too late to call D&D trans to get the inside scoop. Quite a cost difference between the two. If we did not need a new clutch assy and it would bolt up to the Boss without a different bell housing, then not as high priced as I thought, but still not an easy decision, when you should be able to get lasting satisfaction under warranty. If you need the whole driveline Flywheel to drive shaft, that would set you back a bunch of mods.

I asked a semi pro drag race buddy to check with his late model friends, as he heard they found a fix, just did not know what it was or if it was lasting. Will report back with his findings if different than what has been suggested so far.

I do however feel that Ford will eventually come up with a fix. They simply can't afford to do these all once, much less twice. My guess is they already have ideas, but how to execute and do a voluntary service bulletin takes a long time. The Ford GT had issues with axles bolts that it took about 3 years to rectify. The cars were covered for the fix, even if you were past the warranty date. I think they even re-imbursed some that installed the Accufab after market solution with receipts. Keep in mind they also had to test and certify the fix, so that means road miles, track miles, etc. That is part of the reason things like these take so long.

Ford quickly provided a what they thought would be a fix, and it did not hold up either, so they went back to the drawing board. Accufab provided a solution over a year before Ford did. American ingenuity at work. Hat's off to John Mihovetz and team. The Ford solution closely resembles the Accufab fix, but even more stout. Both fixes are now time tested and hold up perfectly.

The Trans here, however is a much more labor intensive fix and about twice the cars, if you just count the Boss. It's difficult for them to even let folks know what they are working on, so much legal caca these days, otherwise I feel they would keep folks updated as to what they are working on. I can say with a high degree of confidence that the SVT team is a world class group of enthusiasts like those that participate. In time , it should work out. But for those of us that want to play now, it's going to take some ingenuity and experimentation as many have already done. I commend the moderators on the detailed polling forms , as that provides some needed data point for those working on it to consider.

Justin

well I for one didnt feel like waiting for a fix that ford may or may not come out with. that would be cool if they did come out with a fix and offer to reimburse me for the clutch I bought and all the other parts I bought to try and fix it that would be cool. I have receipts for everything

TMO Supporting Vendors