The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealford said:
There's a few post on the forum here about extended warranty with info straight from Ford. I have extended warranty from Ford with trackey
7 yrs/50,000miles
I have the same (although isn't it 75,000 miles?), and was assured by both my dealer and Ford Racing that getting the Trackey flash didn't affect my extended warrantee one bit.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Fiddler49 said:
I have the same (although isn't it 75,000 miles?), and was assured by both my dealer and Ford Racing that getting the Trackey flash didn't affect my extended warrantee one bit.
I negotiated because I knew I wasent going to be putting miles on it. $800. And no deductible.

Fiddler49 said:
If your dealer sticks by that agreement should the need arrive he will qualify for sainthood.

unrealford said:
I negotiated because I knew I wasent going to be putting miles on it. $800. And no deductible.

Is the warranty transferable to a new owner for a minor charge ?. This could be a good selling point.

unrealford said:

I called Ford today about the extended warranty they would not talk to me about it because I had the track key installed. They said go back and talk to the dealer about a warranty. What goes here. I don't want a non Ford warranty. Please explain

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I bought mine when Trackey wasent available yet.
But since it was already purchased I spoke with Ford Customer Service directly through the forums and got it explained to me.
Your extended warranty is valid throughout the entire period, but anything the feel broke DIRECTLY TO THE RESULT OF TRACKEY will only be covered 3/36

unrealford said:
I bought mine when Trackey wasent available yet.
But since it was already purchased I spoke with Ford Customer Service directly through the forums and got it explained to me.
Your extended warranty is valid throughout the entire period, but anything the feel broke DIRECTLY TO THE RESULT OF TRACKEY will only be covered 3/36
Thanks,I talked to the dealer today and said about the same thing.The price was a lot higher. He explained the overlap so I have time to think about it. Let s see how the car runs since it is now out of the shop. Thanks, Jim

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

jim woodruff said:
Thanks,I talked to the dealer today and said about the same thing.The price was a lot higher. He explained the overlap so I have time to think about it. Let s see how the car runs since it is now out of the shop. Thanks, Jim
I get a little better deal because I work for Ford, which automatically gives me a Zero deductible also.

Just took my Boss in for her 20K service. During previous services, I had registered some complaints about the transmission/shifter (high-rpm lockout), but they couldn't find anything wrong and nothing was done. No big deal. Those problems had only happened a couple of times. At most other times, the car was a treat to shift.

This time, I pointed-out that my transmission had been getting really loud, making a high-pitched whine even at low rpms. Well, I just got word that I'm getting a new transmission. I asked for details but the service advisor was vague. He just said that there were several issues and the costs started to add-up quickly, so a new transmission got approved. He mumbled, "...the case...some seals...maybe a gear." They just bought it, so I guess they don't have to tell me anything.

Wouldn't want this getting out on the Internet. ;)

If I learn anything more I will report it. I will also make an entry in the transmission poll.

This is not looking good for long term ownership.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Just took my Boss in for her 20K service. During previous services, I had registered some complaints about the transmission/shifter (high-rpm lockout), but they couldn't find anything wrong and nothing was done. No big deal. Those problems had only happened a couple of times. At most other times, the car was a treat to shift.

This time, I pointed-out that my transmission had been getting really loud, making a high-pitched whine even at low rpms. Well, I just got word that I'm getting a new transmission. I asked for details but the service advisor was vague. He just said that there were several issues and the costs started to add-up quickly, so a new transmission got approved. He mumbled, "...the case...some seals...maybe a gear." They just bought it, so I guess they don't have to tell me anything.

If I learn anything more I will report it. I will also make an entry in the transmission poll.

Jimmy,Mine was rebuilt last week and has a whine when cold but it shifts better. I am going to wait and see. Please let us know what you find out.I do know this m82 is hard to work on and you need a lot of special tools.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
Have had my 12 back about 2 weeks now,live in Florida, Ford replaced New Trans, Clutch,TOB. Also installed MGW,Its nice to be able to shift at 7,500 with out clutch hanging up, and knowing when you grab 3rd gear it goes in where it belongs. Gary Woodruff

Has anyone noticed a very slight clicking when idiling? When I push in the clutch it goes away. The transmission isn't the greatest, it shifts, just not real smooth. I bought my car with 1200 miles with a aftermarket short throw shifter in it, by the previous owner. if this is supposed to fix problems, I don't think it does. I assume the pilot is clicking. I am putting a vortech in the car next month, so i'm sure I will be dealing with more issues.

UPDATE:

The new (rebuilt, actually) transmission is back-ordered, so they glued the old one all back together and I'm driving my car around. There is no ETA, but the service advisor was hopeful that it would be within a week or two. :mad:

So, what's wrong with my transmission? Well, I got the cashier girl to give me a peek at the service notes, where I found a printout from the Cost Cap Tool they used to make the Repair vs. Replace Decision regarding my transmission. Then I asked her to photocopy the whole thing. I'll probably put the pdf on my blog, but for now, here is an exerpt:

mt82_parts_1.jpg
mt82_parts_2.jpg

That's what's wrong with my 20K-mile transmission that still works! :eek:

Apparently, making this thing out of the melted-down pots and pans of Chinese dissidents didn't work out as well as they had hoped. ::)

I do have to give credit to Ford for doing the right thing, without me having to say anything about it. Now I just hope they either find a fix before it goes out again, or they extend the warranty to this known bad part.

How much is a proper Tremec?

Jimmy Pribble said:

I just heard today from a guy thats in the know...that apparently there is a problem with 2nd gear in the 5.0's. Word is there have been a lot of failures/ blow outs in that gear, and that ford may be close to doing a recall. Not sure how close our trannys are. But that made me wonder bc when my motor and tranny are cold, I have a harder time shifting into that gear than any others. Hmmmmmm.....

UPDATE:

Got a call from the service manager today. He said he didn't have any news about the backordered transmission, but he wanted to let me know he hadn't forgotten about me. I gotta give him full credit for that. I appreciate that kind of communication.

What he said next was very interesting and will support the rumors of a fix.

He said that he called Ford and asked about the delay with the backordered transmission. Ford told him that my transmission "would not be coming off the shelf." He said that in his opinion (and especially considering the delay), that "usually means they are fixing something." I did not lead him or even let him know that I know there is a widespread problem with these transmissions. So, his opinion was unsolicited and genuine...in my opinion. ;)

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Jimmy Pribble said:
UPDATE:

Got a call from the service manager today. He said he didn't have any news about the backordered transmission, but he wanted to let me know he hadn't forgotten about me. I gotta give him full credit for that. I appreciate that kind of communication.

What he said next was very interesting and will support the rumors of a fix.

He said that he called Ford and asked about the delay with the backordered transmission. Ford told him that my transmission "would not be coming off the shelf." He said that in his opinion (and especially considering the delay), that "usually means they are fixing something." I did not lead him or even let him know that I know there is a widespread problem with these transmissions. So, his opinion was unsolicited and genuine...in my opinion. ;)

Good positive thinking! could be..... or they have run out and are waiting for more. I can report after my transmission failure and rebuild with after market clutch and other parts as well as the clutch non assist spring removal. The car performs well no issues with shifting with two track days with the car taken to the rev limiter (just to see). I'm hoping that this is a done deal I plan on 4 or so more track days this year and if I get through all of them with no issues then I will feel better about the car. Also no codes thrown!

TMO Supporting Vendors