The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS vs Cobra GT500

I thought this would be a interesting topic, after all the Cobra has more power and nicer interier with all the options. But does the Cobra have the same handling ability? Any thoughts or comments.
 
I think I will go with the Boss for racing that isn't a straight line. The GT500 may have additional creature comforts but I won't miss them. just more to break down the line.
 
1BadBoss said:
I thought this would be a interesting topic, after all the Cobra has more power and nicer interier with all the options. But does the Cobra have the same handling ability? Any thoughts or comments.
The short answer is no. I have a heavily modified GT500, but am buying the Boss for this reason. I track the car on the road course frequently. My GT500 between 175 and 240 more rwhp than the Boss will, but it also weighs roughly 400 lbs more. The GT500 is very nose heavy in addition to being overweight for road racing. If you are buying for raw straight line power, it's a no brainer, get the GT500. If you want better handling and a high revving motor for road racing, or just better handling on twisty roads, buy the Boss.
 
cloud9 said:
If you want better handling and a high revving motor for road racing, or just better handling on twisty roads, buy the Boss.
That's what I'm here for. Ford has stated a few times the Boss is the best handling Mustang they've ever made.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,627
2,555
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
If you want better handling and a high revving motor for road racing, or just better handling on twisty roads, buy the Boss.
That's what I'm here for. Ford has stated a few times the Boss is the best handling Mustang they've ever made.

Amen, I'm with you guys. Could have easily bought a GT500 if I wanted one.
 
349
0
Neither car will be a slouch in the handling department (especially if comparing to the performance pack GT500), but the Boss is really built to go fast, live long and feel right on track.

The GT500 to me is the street racer (gobs of power and all the comfort items) vs the track star Boss (focus on cooling/endurance items, naturally aspirated power, stiff suspension). Sort of like the 911 turbo vs. the 911 GT3. Both handle great, the turbo is faster (possibly even on a few higher speed road courses) but most 911 guys would tell you that the GT3 is MUCH more rewarding to drive on track. I expect this same dynamic with the two mustangs.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top