The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

'05-'09 fiberglass vs carbon fiber Tiger Racing hoods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
Anyone know the weight difference between the fiberglass and carbon fiber versions of the '05-'09 Tiger Racing hoods? Trying to decide on which way to go for a dual-use street and track car. I hear the fiberglass version is better finished and if the weight difference isn't too great, that's probably the way I'd go.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
my 2014 carbon hood did a moon mission when I forgot to latch it other day, went about 20 ft in the air. Surprised there isn't more damage, I've patched her up and it will live another day - Fiberglass version wouldn't have had the same fate.
PXL_20240414_063916375.MP.jpgPXL_20240414_063949847.MP.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
BTW The gelcoated carbon hood is clear carbon on the underside except around the edges...
Love the look!
Thanks, Stangra. How would you characterize the finish of the top of the carbon hood? Does the weave show through the paint or does it finish smooth, like your original hood?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Thanks, Stangra. How would you characterize the finish of the top of the carbon hood? Does the weave show through the paint or does it finish smooth, like your original hood?
There is a barely perceptible weave when catching the light just right, I didn't even notice it at first glance. Since I'll be priming/painting it anyway I don't think it'll take much to hit it with a coat of primer/filler and block it smooth first though.

TMO Supporting Vendors