The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Budget Track Beater Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
A couple updates for a rainy day. Here are a few pics of all the new suspension pieces.
IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

Today Mr. FedEx dropped off a couple packages. Ford Racing K springs, Maximum Motorsports camber plates, and some Ford Racing bump stops. I got it all thrown on this afternoon before the Packers game. I just did a quick alignment to drive it home, I'll get out the string tomorrow and do it right.
IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Yesterday I couldn't stand looking at this crappy headlight anymore so I got out some sandpaper and my buffing supplies. This is what I started with.
IMG_1325.JPG

This is after 800 grit wet sanding.
IMG_1337.JPG

This is after 1000 grit, 1500 grit, medium cut, fine cut, and polish. It probably would look better with 2500 grit but I didn't have any.
IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alabama

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm enjoying your modifications. May be doing the same type deal myself. Do you foresee any problems with the stock oil pan? I'm not sure what is available there.
Richard

I didn't but you bringing it up makes me question if I should. Do you know something I don't?

make sure those K code springs will fit the spring pockets.
Also LOL at having to cut bolts off to remove them, boy I've done a bunch of that in old cars!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Alabama
I do not. i was just wondering since V8 cars usually need more capacity and baffling when handling is up graded.
Richard

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Here is some more before/after pictures of the springs. This is after a couple hundred miles. You can tell they definitely settle more from the previous picture right after install.
45DE0588-A557-4224-86CC-4DE228C9C3A8.jpg

65A4F845-9A36-4B16-BEA4-6EECADB58030.jpg

0D142A9F-BA09-4C09-8716-820C4B353BF5.jpg

Side question; Does anyone know how to get the TPMS warning to go away? Neither set of my new wheels has sensors.
IMG_1388.JPG

Here is some more before/after pictures of the springs. This is after a couple hundred miles. You can tell they definitely settle more from the previous picture right after install.
View attachment 58607

View attachment 58608

View attachment 58609

Side question; Does anyone know how to get the TPMS warning to go away? Neither set of my new wheels has sensors.
View attachment 58610
Enjoying your videos,
View attachment 58607

View attachment 58608

View attachment 58609

View attachment 58610
TPMS light stays on, I don’t have sensors in track wheels but depending on proximity of street wheels and length of session, the warning light my not turn on before I get back to paddock.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Enjoying your videos,

TPMS light stays on, I don’t have sensors in track wheels but depending on proximity of street wheels and length of session, the warning light my not turn on before I get back to paddock.

Thanks for watching! You're one of the 3, haha

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I actually did some work today. Here is the video of the whole process for anyone interested. Skip the video for pictures and cliff notes.

First I made a bracket to mount a fire extinguisher in the car. I thought I had a bracket that a friend gave me but turns out it was for the SN95, not the S197. This was before blending the welds and paint.
IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

Then I made some bracket cooling deflectors. They turned out pretty good IMO but I may get some thicker aluminum and remake them at some point.
IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors