The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

building a wickerbill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Building a wickerbill is relatively easy, most folks use an angle piec eof aluminum and attach it under the wing, the problem is..what happens if the back of your spoiler is flat.

I located several pieces of aluminum , this one is about 2 inches in height, but I made several of different heights. You can also use a taller piece of aluminum and slot the holes so you can raise or lower it.

DSC_0701_zps2cb3b1f6.jpg

I measured out where I wanted the holes in the aluminum wickerbill and marked them.

DSC_0700_zps6aac5fec.jpg

I then rounded up some "captured nuts" another way to do it is by using a product called a rivnut, this basically works like a pop rivet but is threaded on the inside.

DSC_0696_zpsdb667c1c.jpg

drilled the holes where I marked them..

DSC_0702_zps16f24525.jpg

I then transferred those holes onto the rear spoiler,I used masking tape to hold the wickerbill up to the spoiler

DSC_0703_zps33d0c76b.jpg

drill the holes for the captured nuts

DSC_0705_zps586c515e.jpg

test fit the piece

DSC_0706_zpsea3650b5.jpg

done..

DSC_0707_zpsd62fd7eb.jpg

DSC_0709_zpsb19459f3.jpg

DSC_0714_zps54270d6f.jpg

I bought some extra captured nuts, since they like to occasionally strip out at the worst moments, if that happens then just pry out the old one and install a new one.

Nice work!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
blacksheep-1 said:
I then rounded up some "captured nuts" another way to do it is by using a product called a rivnut, this basically works like a pop rivet but is threaded on the inside.

DSC_0696_zpsdb667c1c.jpg

I bought some extra captured nuts, since they like to occasionally strip out at the worst moments, if that happens then just pry out the old one and install a new one.

I've been wanting to do this, but didn't want to use pop rivets. Is there a size of rivnut that you prefer?

I don't like to use less than 1/4 inch to hold the wicker on, as I recall the internal threads dictated the outside diameter of the rivnut. there's a huge amoun tof force on that wicker on a kamm style rear spoiler

TMO Supporting Vendors