The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
You can also see the factory coolant hoses in that picture as well. Man, I wish my harnesses were that clean, nice spartan engine bay in there.

I didn't look closely at my clutch line, but it looked ok. I had not tracked the car since adding longtubes, so I'm not sure how much an issue that is. I know the starter wiring was pretty roasted, and I will be spending some money in appropriate heat shielding there.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Today's update:

-I purchased a boss manifold install kit (been running the GT fuel/vapor stuff forever so might as well make it 100%)
-Paid for and picked up my remanufactured mcleod RXT clutch and lightened steel flywheel ( I previously used the factory flywheel which was a mistake with that clutch kit)
-removed the headliner, speakers, and door panels. Only interior panels left are the dash and the left side pillar pod (I'm working on its replacement now, will likely use the watson panel with a few gauges installed)

I'm curious what others have done for the main body harness, have you completely torn it down and removed the unneeded options? Or just remove connectors as necessary and remove fuses from the deprecated systems?

Pictures as always :)

Clutch rebuild:
nbVDL4O.jpg

ZKp570p.jpg

T0e4Uvy.jpg

Old disc lining vs new:
OHiSVqb.jpg

I hate dynamat, and myself for ever using it:

6B1iav1.jpg

UrntRJb.jpg

Should be Front Towards Enemy, but close enough:
FINZ7lU.jpg

Chris, who re manufactured your clutch and what material did they use?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
AZ Brake and Clutch was the shop I used, the lining is a copper ceramic that matches the original material.

It did look the same when they showed me the discs before mounting, but after being cut down in the waterjet (they did the faces and the OD of the linings) the material appears much more dark.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Whoa another update? no weigh:

11130128_10153165974961217_5376891236960968266_n.jpg

11130279_10153165974776217_7923972251590509612_n.jpg

Got the dash out today, stripped the AC systems out of it, along with the main body harness. I'm trying to de-pin the stereo stuff to be able to sell the nav and AC system as a whole, but we'll see. I might be able to replace that harness from another car that didn't have all of it, but we'll see.

At this point, I might just move forward with the cage install first then re-install the motor. My concern is removing everything may create some headaches when it comes to testing/troubleshooting the motor should there be any issues, but I'll try to get all of that worked out. However, as far apart as the car is, makes sense to gut the doors, pull the glass, and hand it off to the cage builder and let him go to town.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You're going to want to go through sound-deadening-removal hell before sending it off for cage, because it's gonna be a lot more difficult once the jungle gym is installed.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
oh yeah. Stripping the interior completely (including sound deadening) will come before the cage.

I just mean I might as well wait on the motor and get the cage done

Word. If the car is completed in time to do some shakedown runs during the last couple events of the year in Oct-Dec you should be in good shape for the 2016 season.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
captdistraction said:
Next trick is getting it to/from events for shakedown. That's a whole different moneypit situation.

You have no idea, but I went big with the RV...are you putting in a fuel cell or can you get by with the stock gas tank

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
stock tank without a doubt. Won't go to plumbing a cell unless rules someday require it.

Today's update: Ordered all the hardware for the heads, new cams, new valveseals, some gaskets, new boss valvesprings (to replace the used boss valvesprings), and a firewall part I managed to break on the steering linkage. Le sigh.

Can anyone speak to whether or not I need the body control module? (dual plug module, black and brown plugs)
Also, does anyone have the part number for the interior main harness for a boss or base GT? I know my all options GT is CR3Z-14401-KA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you mean the one on the tunnel, I kept it. There are fuel pump circuits going in and out of there (only two wires, though). You might try just jumpering them and see if everything works still. Also not sure if you remove that if the car will chime like crazy if it thinks the doors are open or some shiznit.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Maybe call Rehagen and talk to them about this harness? http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2013-COBRA-JET-MUSTANG-CONTROLS-PACK-HARNESS-M-14A006-CJ13.htm

Tulsa, OK
In regards to the restraints module, I think Jamie had his removed for awhile and it freaked the car out a little. I know he was having trouble getting the car started and from my understanding after he put I back in everything went back to normal.

roadhouse said:
In regards to the restraints module, I think Jamie had his removed for awhile and it freaked the car out a little. I know he was having trouble getting the car started and from my understanding after he put I back in everything went back to normal.

I was having problems and did put it back in. However, the problems starting the car didn't stop. It turned out to be the Solid state Master cut off switch. There was some resistance in a diode that eventually blew and started a fire in the trunk of the car by the battery. Once all of the solid state cut off switches were replace by the old style kill switches the car starts right up first time every time. That being said the restraint module is still hooked up just hidden under the dash.

I know that Drew kept his restraint module and that the Boss 302R/S kept theirs too. On the wiring diagram it connects to the fuel system. The only thing I could think up with was that Ford did this so that if you were in an accident and the air bags deployed the fuel pump would shut off, but that is just me guessing. As for when the restraint module was removed from my car, once the I could get the car started, the car ran just fine.

imagejpg1_zps07b1d6d0.jpg

23a2083f-aae9-4fda-a82a-1256c7dc6cf9_zpseimai5sm.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
the module I am talking about sits midway into the dash, behind the stereo. Do I also need the airbag/restraint module that sat low on the tunnel under the dash? I kinda sent that one off with the airbags.

Everything electronic behind the dash is gone on my car save for the instrument cluster, and the kick-panel body fuse box on the passenger side.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel