The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Onward and Upward.

So the cycle of big spending between events isn't quite done, but its slowing down somewhat.

based on the issues unearthed at the last event (which explains all the handling quirks I've struggled to tune out), I'm going to change the following:

• Install a new fresh factory K-member (with nuts intact on the leading control arm pickup, will double nut with a M14x2 nyloc and lots of red loctite)
  • New prothane bushings in the arms (something better is coming, but not soon enough). A note on these is that they've failed for many people. I'll have a thread on them with suggestions on how to prevent the failure
  • New bumpsteer kit from Fully Torqued Racing - this should please all the bumpsteer engineers here. Was running stock tie rod ends after my Steeda kit failed (sense a pattern?)
  • Change plugs in engine per Ford Performance 302S maintenance schedule
  • Check out oil routing for cooler (my gauge was reading low), verify gauge wiring. Probably pull a cam cap on the motor just to be safe
  • Install new vorshlag caster camber plates, possibly try to modify them to get extra camber (my current setup allows 3.38* of camber per side, the vorshlag setup wont touch that as it comes out of the box)
  • Install new SRP racing pedals to help with my footwork
  • build and install a new footplate, I keep melting my anti-slip padding on the stock floor
  • Ordered a new set of @APEXRaceParts 18x11 EC7 wheels (sorry, couldn't wait for the group buy)
  • Ordered a fresh set of Hoosier R7s
  • Ordering some consumables from Optimum Performance (pads, hardware)
  • Refreshing a number of factory fasteners for safety purposes
  • Align/balance car (It isn't as far off as I thought it would be, but is heavy)

Lots of other minor items, including improving the trailer and cleaning out my garage. Will have some threads spawn from all this work, but I hope after this event its just a matter of fuel and go for the next. Seems like a big list, but this stuff can be knocked out pretty quickly.

Also, racers: Coolshirt. Best. Thing. Ever.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Killer stuff happening in this thread, Chris. Really enjoyed the in-car footage and shots at speed.

When are you out at CVR this month?

- Ryan

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'll be out there the 16th - 18th for races #3 and 4 for NASA Super Touring 2 / AZ region (I think they have the california region as well for that one)
Damn, that things really looks good.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I run Gloc R18s/R12s. They work great is an understatement. I think it’s my favorite pad formulation I've run yet.

I haven't had a chance to setup the shocks, I just got them back the night before the last event, and still working on the chassis for this upcoming event. Hopefully able to register for a test day and do some tuning.

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Coming down to the wire again as I’ve been on and off fighting the flu, but made a lot of progress on the car:

Installed the new k member and rebuilt the front arms with new Howe joints, prothane bushings (more to come on that soon as to how I modified them)

Changed up my oil cooling loop some to reduce fittings, reroute lines away from danger (accusump line was precariously close to the fender liner/wheel at full lock) and move some sensor locations around.

Installed the SRP pedal covers but I think the gas might be too wide. Will test and see. Worst install job ever in a caged car.

Cleaned up the trans venting design to be a bit more efficient, replaced the front splitter, installed a bumpsteer kit, changed fasteners for new ones, changed out rear axle venting solution and other minor items.

On the todo list is to go over everything again, reinstall the front face, align the car, corner balance if the opportunity arises, clean the car and pack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Since I need a notepad to remind me of outstanding tasks before the event this weekend, this thread will do nicely ;)

(1) To load on trailer (thursday morning):
  1. Torque rear upper third link bracket
  2. move axle vent line off loose fitting on top of rear cover to upper fill hole on same cover (convert 3/8 to 1/8 NPT) - ORDER NEW COVER, DIMWIT (also o-ring fitting)
  3. Plug top cover hole
  4. mount rear tires, TTS
  5. Reinstall driver's side front suspension
  6. eyeball alignment
  7. Check torque of both sides suspension components
  8. Check accusump air pressure (while empty), refill if necessary
  9. Test fire motor, check for leaks in cooling loop, allow to reach temperature
  10. Check oil pressure readings
  11. Check torque on dampener bolt while bottom tray out
  12. Check oil level after warm and accusump filled and closed
  13. Reinstall lower tray
  14. Remove front splitter from bumper cover (remember to bring it)
  15. Install front wheels, TTS
  16. Adjust trailer hitch setup
(2) Packing List:
  1. Car
  2. Splitters (old/new, along with countersink bit and drill bit, spare fasteners)
  3. Tools/Spares package (remember to bring extra clutch and rotors)
  4. Camping supplies
  5. Beer
  6. Clothes/personal supplies
  7. Pick up fuel in Arizona, land of the free before entering the Dark Lands of the Californian Empire
  8. Spare tires/wheels (plus spare R7)
  9. Generator and Shop Vacuum
  10. Lights
  11. Groceries/Cooler
(3) To go race Saturday:
  1. Update Racecapture Pro, fix issues with thresholds on dash lights
  2. Install new AEM oil pressure gauge / transducer in stock location (can bridge factory connector?)
  3. Install new splitter blade
  4. Set ride heights
  5. Align car
  6. quick-Bleed brakes
  7. Verify all fasteners torqued on all suspension/braking components
  8. Setup gopro video trigger and Chuckwalla course config in RC/P
  9. Setup AEM output to RCP, configure 0-5V input calibration as "Oil Pressure 2" PID (post cooler)

(4) During practice
  1. Log oil pressures and temps
  2. Measure tire temps after practice and verify camber range on new vorshlag plates
  3. Have fun
  4. Stop worrying about the motor
  5. Relax, dumbass
  6. Find some hired hands/help as long term solution to preparedness woes
  7. beer me
(1) and (2) need to be completed in about 2 man hours time Thursday morning.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sounds like you need to move (4).7 to (2).12...I have a handle of Jack at the ready for when we get everything done at the track on Thursday evening...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have a handle of Jack at the ready for when we get everything done at the track on Thursday evening...

With that checklist and for whatever may be accidentally left of the workbench in the garage back home, two handles may prove to be a wise investment.

DFW, TX
Just remember if you get crap in your oil from the blown motor, it will be hiding in your oil cooler for your next motor to ingest.

Blown motors are no fun. "What's that noise? Oh, hmmm... oh, I know what that noise is... "

TMO Supporting Vendors