The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Agreed, it’s a big win all things considered. Plus it was @captdistraction best track weekend with friends who care and support him. Doesn’t get better than that.

Great review, vid/pics and post. Thanks for sharing.

PS: Nice save in the turn coming off the Dragstrip.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Two more related updates:

The short qualify session I stuck to @ArizonaBOSS's bumper (though really more luck than skill, lol, as seen in lap3!)

The champ race where I make a few rookie mistakes, but has a real cinematic look to it:

Later this month I'll cut together a highlights reel that will be more interesting to watch. Real excited for 2018.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
2nd update: the tally on the damage:

Rebuild of two shocks, replacement of casing ~$650
Two Apex wheels ~ $700 (too broke to deal with atm)
Two Hoosier R7's $800
Replacement BMR parts/hardware $? :) Handled through their excellent support

So all in, the 13 cent locknut cost me $2250, but at least one of those R7's was pretty done anyways. Still may investigate repairs to the existing wheels, but I'm shocked they held together so well after what happened. I'm opening a thread in the tech section about fasteners and how to move forward to get some recommendations.

Couple more shots of the car doing its thing.

hGnVSYMh.jpg
P9jgvHfh.jpg
gSY0AZLh.jpg
bkq8Yblh.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
One last post for today

Plans for 2018:
-clean up the livery a bit
-refresh all that needs refreshing on the car (so refreshing)
-Driver comfort comes next (possibly tying the seatback to the cage, coolshirt system)
-some improvements on the car itself (2 piece rotors up front, possibly out back, redesign some hardware, change some bearings, get different camber plates, high flow grille for hot days)
-some off-track improvements (better camber gauge, trailer setup, garage setup at home)
-plan a working 5-6 set tire budget

The camber plates are a mystery currently, but what I have on there now is a simple bolt-together plate that sends the spring load through a spherical bearing, with no dedicated bearing surface for the spring separate from the spherical. I'm not sure how effective that is, but I'll be checking those bearings this week for play and possible replacement. I know trackside camber adjustments are almost impossible as you have to remove the struts to adjust.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
getting used to the long pedal throw of the kohr booster/master setup is taking some practice for sure. Its difficult with how the pedals are currently setup, but I am looking at a AB as a possibility if I can't find a way to improve it.

I guess you'll also find out about that pedal throw yourself :), its a challenge, a bit soft and long throw at the pedal but the brakes work and then some.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yeah one of these days...........le sigh. Snowing so I can't be out in the 30 degree weather installing my second $1100 CF driveshaft. What possesses us to keep pouring buckets of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ into these cars? Well it is fun when it all comes good.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Nice pe’pe’ le pew reference Steve [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah one of these days...........le sigh. Snowing so I can't be out in the 30 degree weather installing my second $1100 CF driveshaft. What possesses us to keep pouring buckets of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ into these cars? Well it is fun when it all comes good.

Jesus it’s crazy isn’t it? I should be spending this money on equipment for my shop, but no.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@steveespo if you want to go aluminum, let me know. I have an MT82 Dynotech shaft for sale. No vibe up to 155mph (haven't been past that).

@captdistraction does that Darrell Foster have a website or did you email him?

I just read through this whole thread, Chris your perseverance is unparalleled.

Junior installed my roll bar also, he does amazing work, he'll be fabbing the rest of my cage when the time comes.

So yesterday I signed up and got my nasa membership and im patiently waiting for mid February for the March 24/25th event registration to open up so i can get started in DE1.

Caption Chris, I have followed this YB GT from street car to what it has evolved into. What hurdles you had to make time and time again is something the normal person would of threw in the towel long ago. It seems that you have reached and have the platform of a full fledge ready to race car now.
Now you need to take it to that next level. Put it front of that red/white Boss....
Man Arizona is fast.
Will be looking forward in 2018 seeing the FTWMotorsports #50 on the podium.

I have read somewhere on this forum that Yellow Blaze is the fast's color! ;)
Good luck in the 2018 season.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

Next Event on Deck: The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same:

Next event is the NASA AZ Region 2018 Super Touring Championship Series at Bondurant West this weekend.

The good: I’ve got most of the parts needed, tires, and I’ve made some changes to the car.

The bad: The car is on jackstands mostly unprepared with less than 48 hours to go (and I have a full time job and part time job to give a lot of that time to)

To get ready for the event I have to complete the following (not necessarily in order):

-pick up wheels/tires (assuming the damaged wheels hold air for now)

Done- pick up repaired shock assemblies from UPS (thanks Maxcyspeed!)

Done- reinstall shocks, repaired watts link system, wheel spacers and wheels

Done -install new UCA bearing kit from BMR Suspension

-charge all equipment, try to upload firmware to racecapture

-quick alignment

-quick review of all bolt fastening and apply Loctite or replace fasteners as necessary. Mark all critical fasteners

-oil change if time available

-spark plug change if time available

-review compliance/safety items for 2018 season requirements

-complete cool suit system installation and wiring

-complete NASA ST2 compliance paperwork

-schedule windshield replacement for Friday

-pack all gear

Done -pick up trailer

-complete operational testing / safety inspection

-deliver car/trailer >5PM AZ to track

-consume liberally: alcohol

-sleep

Normally, this is where one should say “Lets play it smart/safe and skip this one, be more prepared for the next”, however that’s not the FTWMotorsports way. Double points weekend means big opportunities to get in a good position for the regional championship and additionally I can get rid of my provisional competition license status by completing one event.

That all said, I have to have my execution on point given the short time table and huge list of items to go through. There’s zero room for error or for things to go wrong. This weekend is just about survival and then the following event at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in February is where I can start to focus on being competitive (although between ST2 newcomers and the other regional guys finding more power and more developed setups will be a challenge, however one I relish.)

Not in line with my original goals of improved preparedness and execution in 2018, along with developing the car appropriately (testing, improving settings, corner balancing, improving driver), however I’ll continue to work towards those along with doing my best to have an incident-free 2018.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sounds like you could use a hand....wish I was closer, you're gonna need some help with that alcohol.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
NASA AZ Region 2018 Super Touring Championship Series at Bondurant West - Jan 27/28 report:

I didn't blow up.

Rushed to get the car back together, but shockingly despite the rush everything more or less worked out ok. Car had some issues with the front suspension (my final Steeda pieces gave up the ghost, poly bushings in the front control arms), and I could move the wheel around quite a bit by hand in the air, but I drove around the issue.

Keeping this one short, I took 2nd place both days. The first race was uneventful, started mid pack as I was having some tire issues/wheel issues (only own one set and that's just a bad idea). Sunday I knew about the arm issue and decided to try to survive and just collect points. In qualifying, I was behind one of the regional fast guys and we had a good run until he had a tie-rod break resulting in a massive off. I should have stayed out for another clean fast lap, but I came in, good enough for a 2nd overall start.

Again with the mindset of survival, I started the race on the lead row, but found myself right on the leader after one lap. New plan. Win. Lap after lap I was on his bumper and mirrors.

(if you guys like lucky saves, there's a handful here. Watching from 22:00-24:00 is pretty entertaining)

Unfortunately, I ran out of tire chasing a local Z28 car that has monster torque, and the course doesn't lend itself to passing unless you really trust your equipment. I didn't, and waiting for the Camaro to make a mistake didn't work out. That said, another second place trophy and more coveted points to get me off to a good start in the championship. The Camaro is the guy to beat this year. Big thanks to @ArizonaBOSS for providing me some scrubs to run and offering a helping hand, the A7's he gave me did 400% more than we asked them to.

BMR Suspension, Optimum Performance, Maxcyspeed and others were instrumental in getting me going. (local guys were huge help)

Not many photos, but a nice one from the local supply team:
V7hNA5xh.jpg
apparently mid race I was lifting the inside front wheel later in this turn complex. I wish I had a picture of that to share

Good save on the tank slapper just before the 24 min mark! Looks like your rabbit's foot worked for you.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel