The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
a couple July PSAs from the over-the-summer maintenance on the racecar:

---Minor Motor Drama---

Cleaned up the pan, found the culprit: the NPT fittings I used to plug the front and sides of the pan had a coating on them that became very slick when paired with oil and the teflon tape acted as a lubricant to the threads as well. I hadn't checked them previously as I had torqued them down with a breaker bar before the last event; however they were less than finger tight. Also, the o-ring around the pan level sensor had torn.
IMG_1048.JPG
Replaced the fittings with uncoated ones, used the thread sealing paste (we'll see), and reinstalled the pan. Found a nasty surprise along the way (read when sitting down, because it gets ugly, tap and die ugly):

The pan bolts are definitely torque to yield, one time use only. Mine had been used 4 times, and the last one snapped into the block, forcing me to drill it and extract it, I was able to do so without scratching up the aluminator.
IMG_1263.JPG
For grade 8 M6's, they get a surprising amount of torque (177in-lb/14.75 ft-lb + 60 degrees). My bolts had visibly stretched over 4 uses. For those swapping pans, I really recommend tracking down the fasteners (W714963-S437 x3 W714962-S437 x13), and using a good trustworthy non-hazard-frought torque wrench

The 3 studs seem to be on infinite back-order, but I used bolts in their place for now and will come back and carefully replace them once they're in (m6x1.0 20mm+25mm stud with 13mm head)

Finally, as I was going back a second time, found another issue. The rearward block bulkhead on my aluminator had some damage near the drivers side bolt hole for the pan, and had cracked/damaged threads. I had to drill it out to m8x1.25 and tap it for a socket head cap (while still installed, I wasn't about to pull the motor for this). Its a temporary fix, however the bulkhead is only sold with the block. So down the road I'll have to plan to replace it. Sucks to do that to a fairly new motor, however the fix is clean, holding and will be fine until the next time I need to do a clutch (hopefully a good long time). The damage was likely from bits of the RXT clutch that had exploded a few months ago, and I just missed it while I cleaned things up. No oil was leaking from that bulkhead so hopefully it will hold for the foreseeable. ArizonaBoss might have one laying around, and MMR makes an aftermarket one as well.
IMG_1268.JPG

---Inspect Your Stuff!---

While reinstalling the K-member and associated hardware, I took a look at my bumpsteer kit and tie rods and found this:

IMG_1336.JPGIMG_1337.JPG

Come to find out, both sides had yielded upwards, and likely just in the last event (or they had previously yielded some, but not enough for me to notice). The worse of the pair wasn't far from throwing in the towel. Its the last brand S part on the car, and off it came. Unfortunately, the FRPP/mm kit has broken for another TMO racer on the connecting stud and nearly costing him the car; thus I'm not sure what direction I'm going to take.

Looking at it all, I'm confused as to how that rod end yielded so much unless it just A) exceeded its angularity range and thus bent or B) just a hot pile of shiznit (which is most people's take on it, and I have to agree, even the threads are pulled/shifted)

Just running my head through curb strikes or other suspension events I would think the stud would be the point of failure vs the rod end behind the spherical in most cases. One thing I hadn't considered is that we strap the car down by the wheels, possibly the straps were pulling it to yield.

The kit went off to a friend at another suspension company who wanted to take a look at it and see how he could overbuild it (the guy is the king of stuffing the absolute largest and strongest bearings in any application one can think of). Might end up with a bolt-through option. In the mean time, a stock pair of tie rod ends will go back on the car. Additionally I have one of those MM kits in a box here, though will likely just get resold. I'll have more on this soon

---Other Updates---

Apex wheels: Its been so hot I hadn't bothered with getting the 11" Apex wheels mounted, but I'll get to work on them soon. Look for my Apex 18x10's on the classifieds soon, I hadn't decided how I'm selling them (with or without tires) and have a couple interested parties (3 sessions on them, some scratching on the fronts but otherwise like new). Hopefully get to that soon as figuring out the proper spacing is still even a concern.

Going canbus crazy: The maniacs at Autosport labs have come up with some really cool stuff. The racecapture pro system has been very versatile with its array of digital and analog inputs and outputs, and had been able to read canbus for quite some time. However now they want to do much more with it, using a canbus channel to build your own can network to drop devices on and simplify the deployment of the devices. the first can device we're testing on this car is the Shiftx2

Once that's installed and running, there's some other cool canbus projects we'll be working on (and I'll have a full guide available for S197 mustang). Hopefully soon crack the code on the ford specific CAN pids so we can use all the data just hiding on the OEM HS-CAN network.

Finally I'll be working on the brakes soon with new master brake and clutch cylinders, and a new booster (GT500) to hopefully improve the pedal feel on the car with the massive 380mm brake package. Additionally should have the dimensions locked down soon for the girodisc rotors we'll be running.

No date set for the next event, but I might wait until at least October for things to cool down, though we will have a promotional video shoot done over the summer, but thankfully the car just needs to be in showable/parade-lap shape. I'll definitely share that media when I have it.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Usually when rod ends bend like that it's because of a bind.
I'd look for places on the bearing body for contact with the stud that goes through the bearing.
If the spacers used to shim the rod up and down are to big OD they can cause a bind at extreme ends of the travel but maybe not leave such an obvious mark.
I'd pull the springs and jack the suspension through full bump and droop and turn the spindles in both directions and watch everything very carefully for contact or bind.
Even cheap rod ends wont bend like this for nothing. My bet is a bind somewhere.

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I sent the kit off, but I didn't see any signs of such.

That makes sense though given that why else would it bend there?

Could ratchet strapping the wheels cause this? normal loading of the car has me running the short wheel straps through each wheel and using a ratchet strap to a nearby hardpoint

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I sent the kit off, but I didn't see any signs of such.

That makes sense though given that why else would it bend there?

Could ratchet strapping the wheels cause this? normal loading of the car has me running the short wheel straps through each wheel and using a ratchet strap to a nearby hardpoint

It could if you are accidentally strapping the tie rod too. Might want to take a quick look at that next time you load up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
no, I'm dumb and clumsy, but not that clumsy. I use those small straps that go through the wheel and the procedure I use to push them through and couple them with the ratcheting strap makes it impossible for me to grab them.

They arrived at the friend's company (the BS kit), he confirms it definitely was binding out. I wonder how that's possible, I'll have to review pictures but I can't see where in running it could get that much angle. I now wonder if it happened while working on the car in some scenario where the strut was loose or loading up on the tie rod

I'm now replacing both inner/outer tie rods

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
no, I'm dumb and clumsy, but not that clumsy. I use those small straps that go through the wheel and the procedure I use to push them through and couple them with the ratcheting strap makes it impossible for me to grab them.

They arrived at the friend's company (the BS kit), he confirms it definitely was binding out. I wonder how that's possible, I'll have to review pictures but I can't see where in running it could get that much angle. I now wonder if it happened while working on the car in some scenario where the strut was loose or loading up on the tie rod

I'm now replacing both inner/outer tie rods

Sometimes in a trailer it's hard to see what's going on underneath in the dark....especially if some ones helping. But that's a long shot. It's binding as confirmed by your friend and as I suspected. I would do like I mentioned by cycling the suspension with the wheels full lock in both directions. You should be able to freely twist the rod ends in every position the wheels can get them selves into. Now that you are aware of the problem I'm sure you will figure it out quickly enough. Let us know what you find.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Interesting stuff on the bolt-through conversion. I keep testing the waters to see if a K member becomes ST legal (it gets in a gray zone where I think locally it would be ok, but nationally it could be a problem, or the flip).

I'm still working on putting something together there, however for now, some stock-style rod ends are in place.

Some various updates:
-I mounted up some 20mm spacers (on loan) and the Apex 18x11 wheels fit great up front, 6.25mm out back to clear the shocks at full droop (which they clear without, however I wanted to make sure if I get the tail up in the air that I didn't trash the wheels)

-Added the shiftx2 and associated programming. Works great, 4 stage progressive shift light AND multimode alerts for oil temp and pressure. I even have a slow blue pulse on the temp alert to let me know its below 170* during warm up.
-sold my whiteline RLCA brackets and J&M poly LCA's. Now using BMR spherical LCA's and BMR brackets (Which have adjustable pick up points)
-added an activation flashing LED for my accusump valve so I can see when its doing its thing

All that's left for season prep is to get the 2-piece front brake discs, rear pads, upper control arm housing bushing replaced, and do a full suspension setup and alignment.

I still need a trailer, but that requires some improvement in income which hopefully comes soon. Pics to come soon

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Race Report: Arizona (freedom-restricted) Motorsports Park, 10-28/29-17 with NASA Super Touring 2

Wanting to complete my provisional race license with NASA (the same license I qualified for in 2010), I needed just two races to get the stamps to clear it. AMP is a fun, fast and somewhat challenging track. Its the closest track to me at a 20 minute drive, however its the most logistically complex track due to sound regulations (recently relieved to 96db), and additionally its not a welcoming venue (limited to 200 people, cannot start before 8a, have to clear premises by 6pm). That said, I wanted to get the race car out there and see what it involved to run what is likely to become the home track for NASA as others become less friendly to club racing.

Unfortunately, in the weekend in short: my reputation of bringing something to break and/or not being a contender is now solidified testament.

The car ran for Saturday, however with major braking issues (and prep issues) which kept me away from being able to do much more than 7-8 tenths effort without risk to myself and others, and I had a couple offs to go with it. During testing, I went off the main straight at about 120mph facing a wall off in the distance. Somehow I managed to get the car scrubbed down and away from the wall and was able to get off track with not much more damage outside a driver's suit. The nomex protection on the radiator as suggested by @ArizonaBOSS worked very well to ease cleanup of all the collected dry brush. During the race I nearly punted a in-class GTR and another class C5 because I couldn't generate enough braking torque. Additionally, I owed a few of the small bore racers apologies as while I just wanted to get to the finish line, I broke up a couple races as I tried to get my somewhat crippled car past them. Thankfully everyone I talked to was very understanding. There just was too much going on to try to keep the car on track from a mental focus standpoint. Not trusting your brakes to be there is an awful feeling.

Sunday didn’t get any better. I brought some extra brake parts from home to try to see what I could do, but we found that the front damper (ATI unit, secured by an ARP bolt) had come loose during the race the previous day. It had migrated outwards about ½” and had damaged the FEAD system on my aluminator. After tracking down a new belt and reviewing the options, I decided to call it a day. We had an Australian pursuit race planned; and while I could hobble the car together, it wouldn’t have been better than the previous day, and we were all running super unlimited class from miatas to mustangs with a staged start to ensure all were competitive for the overall win.

I did get to collect a trophy for being DFL on Saturday (with 3 in class), but admittedly one of my biggest problems is that all the pats on the back and applause isn’t anything I really want as a benchmark of success. Sympathy isn’t really something I desired either, not really much I can do besides be frustrated. Execution is critical to success, and I sorely lack it. The car keeps getting real close to coming together but ends up so far from doing anything meaningful. To date, I’ve not registered and shown up for 7 races, and have completed 3, meaning 43% of the time, I can get on track. Of the 3, only two were relatively trouble-free during the race, and only one was trouble free from grid to checker from a mechanical standpoint.

The positives are that I was able to hang out with friends, car was driven (broken) on to the trailer under its own power for once, I was able to fix a number of other cars and get them back out on track (just not my own), and that my friends were super helpful in getting me out to track, pitching in a hand with the car, and helping me get it back home. I have a line on a trailer and the means to purchase it now, so hopefully soon I’ll be able to stand on my own feet. Other positives are the apex 18x11 wheels are excellent, the car was neutral with my backing off (and really just loose because I didn’t care for the tires, only once setting pressures because the car was apart between each session), and the motor flies down the straights (to one’s own peril when brakes are an issue).

Going forward I’m still mulling over my options and will cool down appropriately before making big decisions, but I think I’m done racing for a while. I love being on track, but I can’t really deal with the repeat failures, frustration which is like an anchor around my neck. It just isn’t any fun. I don’t mind losing, but I do hate what I represent when I show up at track.

Some neat pictures were taken by my good friend Will:

xJzzOWtl.jpg
KbIAOFBl.jpg
gR40e0yl.jpg
uCWFFzfl.jpg
9yfBn66l.jpg
4uIUKXTl.jpg
8s31MsWl.jpg
IFobdgal.jpg
7r454knl.jpg
wRdt7Jll.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

For those interested, the pilot’s gripe list:
(and I’ll make threads to discuss/resolve these)

1. Brakes had variable boost every time I found the pedal. Never was sure what I’d get
  2. Brakes had no real bite unless I was way into the pedal (I think lack of boost to get me there) – so much so my hamstring was sore on right leg trying to stop the car
  3. Damper came loose, arp bolt backed off with it
  4. I believe I had clutch slip or a driveline issue that may have exacerbated the above, was hard to tell without video and with the restricted exhaust
  5. Lithium battery had failed/ballooned its casing the night before the race, requiring an emergency procurement and fabrication of a PC680 lead-acid unit
  6. During bleeding of brakes, a brand new master cylinder failed the night before the race, requiring emergency swap to a backup, and a swap to a GT500 booster (occurred during swap back to a GT booster after road testing and not liking the brakes and knowing the GT booster at least felt better)
  7. The steeda clutch spring wouldn't fully reset the clutch pedal, so I'd have to lift up under it to get the full stroke of the master for the clutch. Fun to do under racing conditions.
some images:
SDfQjeUh.jpg
BYNqRUFh.jpg
oyYvbsqh.jpg

Going forward on the car the plan is:

• fix brakes and whatever that entails
  • replace rear axle UCA bushing
  • adjust axle position slightly to remove slight offset, ensure thrust angle unchanged or realign
  • remove damper, and reinstall after cleaning, replace damper bolt with either OEM or another ARP (for insurance)
  • replace damaged bearings/pulleys
  • get a real battery mount for the PC680, cover ground terminal for odd rule compliance.
  • pull trans and clutch for inspection, maybe move to GT500 throwout
  • throw POS steeda clutch spring in the trash
  • new tires for the wheels. I have some scrubs for testing
  • psychologically get my shiznit together

After that, I’ll probably let it sit while I cool off and get stress under control, decide if I am done with this and getting into another car, or getting a shop involved to take matters out of my hands. The stress isn’t fun, and I know I sound like a broken record.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For those interested, the pilot’s gripe list: (and I’ll make threads to discuss/resolve these)

1. Brakes had variable boost every time I found the pedal. Never was sure what I’d get
  2. Brakes had no real bite unless I was way into the pedal (I think lack of boost to get me there) – so much so my hamstring was sore on right leg trying to stop the car
  3. Damper came loose, arp bolt backed off with it
  4. I believe I had clutch slip or a driveline issue that may have exacerbated the above, was hard to tell without video and with the restricted exhaust
  5. Lithium battery had failed/ballooned its casing the night before the race, requiring an emergency procurement and fabrication of a PC680 lead-acid unit
  6. During bleeding of brakes, a brand new master cylinder failed the night before the race, requiring emergency swap to a backup, and a swap to a GT500 booster (occurred during swap back to a GT booster after road testing and not liking the brakes and knowing the GT booster at least felt better)
some images:
SDfQjeUh.jpg
BYNqRUFh.jpg
oyYvbsqh.jpg

Going forward on the car the plan is:

• fix brakes and whatever that entails
  • replace rear axle UCA bushing
  • adjust axle position slightly to remove slight offset, ensure thrust angle unchanged or realign
  • remove damper, and reinstall after cleaning, replace damper bolt with either OEM or another ARP (for insurance)
  • replace damaged bearings/pulleys
  • get a real battery mount for the PC680, cover ground terminal for odd rule compliance.
  • new tires for the wheels. I have some scrubs for testing
  • psychologically get my shiznit together

After that, I’ll probably let it sit while I cool off and get stress under control, decide if I am done with this and getting into another car, or getting a shop involved to take matters out of my hands. The stress isn’t fun, and I know I sound like a broken record.
I can totally relate to the head banging frustration my friend...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Chris why do you think the damper bolt came loose? Did you do the factory torque sequence? Torque to something like 90 ft/lbs then loosen 90 degrees and retorque to 115 ft/lbs. Numbers are off the top of my head but you get what I mean. I have same damper setup as you so makes me a little nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
140, 1/4 then 100 + 90*

Though I used the arp bolt spec. I suspect something is going on the flywheel side of things so going to pull the transmission to find out. I think I had clutch slippage so I want to dive in and find out. Not that I want the extra labor and headache but I’m over just hoping things are ok.

On the brakes I pulled as much apart as I can and everything looked ok. Pads to the master all looked fine. The blowfish bracket rubs a hard line but no signs of it pinching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
100 ft lbs and no further. though I’ll admit to giving it a bit extra as I’m pretty certain that’s just not enough, especially with the threads being lubricated (which I know lowers torque ratings). I might honestly just go back to the oem stretch bolt and call it a day

On the brakes wholesale hydraulic system replacement might be what comes next. The kohr kit has lines, mc and booster all matched and I could try a new valve body in the abs system.

I also thought about trying to retrofit the s550 booster and master (and having lines made as they are on the opposite sides). Dimensionally it looks like it would work and some of the s550 development guys have mentioned the 6 piston setup drove a need for a different piston bore than what was used on other cars. I know my s550 is pretty grabby but I could honestly deal with that over my other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I did "100 ft-lbs and no further" per ARP instructions. I'll see if I can get a pic to see if the witness marks are still lined up after 8 hours of track time or so...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel