The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
THIS which after looking at aftermarket scanners ($3K-7K) and such, this is a bargain. Too much for personal use after you add in the license but me thinks I could rent this set-up out. I was just reading through the manual, it allows you to do anything a Ford Dealer can do, including calibrating all the Body Motion Sensors....

The software license can be purchased in 2 day to 1 year subscriptions.
Yes that is the legit version.

Another option is AutoEnginuity.

Now that you have some track time on the new Tremec Magnum, what is your opinion of the new gear ratios. Below is my understanding of before and after ratios. The 4th and 5th of the Tremec has me a bit concerned how low they are given 4th is my power gear today where I am 90% of the time. I am about to pull the trigger on the Tremec so it is ready to go. This will be my 4th tranny so I am more than ready to move away from the MT82.

Tremec Magnum: 1st 2.97, 2nd 2.10, 3rd 1.46, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.80, 6th 0.63
Boss stock MT-82: 1st 3.66, 2nd 2.43, 3rd 1.69, 4th 1.31, 5th 1.0, 6th .65

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Now that you have some track time on the new Tremec Magnum, what is your opinion of the new gear ratios. Below is my understanding of before and after ratios. The 4th and 5th of the Tremec has me a bit concerned how low they are given 4th is my power gear today where I am 90% of the time. I am about to pull the trigger on the Tremec so it is ready to go. This will be my 4th tranny so I am more than ready to move away from the MT82.

Tremec Magnum: 1st 2.97, 2nd 2.10, 3rd 1.46, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.80, 6th 0.63
Boss stock MT-82: 1st 3.66, 2nd 2.43, 3rd 1.69, 4th 1.31, 5th 1.0, 6th .65
I don't think he has the 2:97 low trans. I think has the 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1:1, .74, .50 trans but I could be mistaken. I have the 2:97 and the gears are spaced pretty wide for my taste. But, fortunately for me >Supercharger< so I just run it around in 4th gear all day. LOL.

Last edited:
I don't think he has the 2:97 low trans. I think has the 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1:1, .74, .50 trans but I could be mistaken. I have the 2:97 and the gears are spaced pretty wide for my taste. But, fortunately for me >Supercharger< so I just run it around in 4th gear all day. LOL.
That is good to hear that you are in 4th most of the time with the supercharger. I too have the blower.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That is good to hear that you are in 4th most of the time with the supercharger. I too have the blower.
My Brutha from another Mutha....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, the step from 3rd to 4th is too far most of the time. (3rd is too low)
At least for the tracks I run. Plus I have 4:10 gears that are probably too low.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Huh, more to chew on with the 4:10. I am still stock with 3.71, and am thinking to go the other way to 3.55.
I would need to go down to 3.73's

When did that happen?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Yeah that is the gearset that I will be getting and Chris has as a base; his OD gear cluster is swapped for .80.63 from the 2.97 box.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah that is the gearset that I will be getting and Chris has as a base; his OD gear cluster is swapped for .80.63 from the 2.97 box.
Wish I had known about those choices when I ordered mine. :(

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wish I had known about those choices when I ordered mine. :(
Hindsight is 20/20 :(

The gearsets can be swapped in the case, but I dunno if that's worth the time or expense at this point for you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hindsight is 20/20 :(

The gearsets can be swapped in the case, but I dunno if that's worth the time or expense at this point for you.
I have to keep reminding myself THAT I'm not getting paid to do this anymore so it's 100% negative cash flow. It is what it is. If I spend several thousand dollars more to go 2 seconds faster is anybody really going to care? Probably not. At some point I have to stop pouring cash into this thing. (Says the guy with a dozen upgrades currently in progress) This was supposed to be some weekend fun with my street car...see what you guys have done to me?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
As mentioned above, I have the 2.66 box with the swapped OD cluster. That said, I've yet to be able to use those gears, was barely getting into 4th at our local tracks. 3.73 as a final drive ratio basically goes one gear down. So 3rd in the MT82 is 2nd in the magnum. You can see in my video comparison how close they are, and while I'm shifting a bit sooner on the tremec, I believe that to be a function of getting the car going faster (and lower redline). I'm sticking with 3.73's for my first couple races, I have a set of 4.10's in the garage should I want to play with that. Checking other videos, even our larger courses wouldn't have me using 5th/6th in this car, might only be available for Autoclub speedway or similar banked oval tracks. attached is my calculation sheet for that

BQuLEssh.jpg

been working on the oil leak, took apart the front end and so far nothing too meaningful found as the source. The balancer was pretty dry, and oil wasn't being slung by it, and under the retaining bolt I had properly sealed it during install. However I did see a drop of oil at the base of the front crankshaft seal, so I'm going to replace that. (then also replace all front side timing cover seals, the windage tray gasket, and re-tape the threaded inserts in the pan, but I need to drop the K first to do that). Oil is definitely coming out somewhere low, and at least moving to the passenger side of the car if not coming from that side. I think it might be the base of the timing cover where it meets the block and the pan, or a bad pan itself (moroso unit, I changed it to a new one after my last build just to be 100% new across the board for my sanity).

Right now I'm fighting the ATI damper, its eaten two crappy Chinese puller tools (a 3 jaw and a bolt on puller). I've gotten some tips on facebook to try, heating the damper under pressure and giving the removal tool a couple taps. I'm hunting some heavy duty thrust bearing/washer to place at the end of the crank snout so I can reduce some of the drag and keep the force parallel to the pull direction (vs the angled tip seated in the crank seat slightly expanding it).
KBxIVv4h.jpg
GjK7sKgh.jpg
BGoHEfih.jpg

Those long bolts were not up to the task, the center piece bent and the bolt had its "cold rolled threads" ripped right off of it. i had lubricated the center bolt, made sure to not harm the crank snout, and tried both impact and hand tools.

Looking at possibly this puller tool to use next: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4531-Har...c+balancer+puller&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Attachments

• tractive effort.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 49

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For comparison, Thunderhill and Laguna are both 5th gear tracks for me.
I run out of 4th gear right about the start/finish at both tracks.
Laguna the stripe is about half way down the front straight.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level