The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I will give that a shot! I wasn't sure how I could pull it off without damaging it, but I might just pull the unit out with the valve attached (as its easiest to remove there), open the valve with a jumper wire, fill it, close it and once primed I'll reset the empty unit to the correct air pressure range

Made some progress, the motor is basically assembled just need to finish some wiring work and lift it in:

Install Steps.JPG

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
On using the accusump to prime the engine, you will need to bleed the air pressure off and either remove the gage or the schrader valve, then blow some air in the oil end to get the internal piston moved all the way back. Just wanted to clarify these steps. I used a similar set up for years. This is what I used unless I could pull the distributor and prime it using the engine oil pump.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
@steeda5 and @mattlqx made it out tonight and helped me knock out a huge chunk of work on it.

I'm guessing another 15ish hours to get the car set, will try to take Friday off work to keep at it. I think I'll make the event but the car might not be in condition to compete but at least turn a couple timed laps to qualify for the nationals and collect some regional points.

Here's the updated list:
Install Steps.JPG

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I have, I'll upload them later.

I don't think I'll be racing this weekend, goal was to get the car started last night and I still have hours to go before I'm there. Won't be able to datalog the car and get it tuned in time for the event. Additionally there's still a few lbs of oil soaked sand I need to get off the car to eliminate any fire hazard. My goal was to get this all done in a way that was safe and not overly rushed. Last thing I want is to to rush, break something and then be even further underwater.

I'll keep at it, but with little time left to the next event we'll see what shakes. I'll certainly never push again like this, I love racing but the stress is far too much.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just an update for all of Chris’ fans and supporters. He got the engine running and took it around the block. Still lots to do but he should be able to run Sunday for a few points and shake the car down for final tuning. Great job by FTWynne Racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Another small update
Chris successfully got the 50 car qualified and on track today at Wild Horse Pass Raceway, finishing 4th overall. Another race for him tomorrow and then I’m sure he will share with us some video and tales of triumph and tribulations from this past week. I am like a proud papa knowing he took the engine from my 21 car and was able to get back on track with it in the 50 to save his season.
Steve

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Reporting in: Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park East Track with NASA AZ

The car and I survived, first and foremost.

After continuously working throughout the Friday night until 1:30AM (and later getting up at 5AM) I finished the install of the motor, tested the car around the block and loaded it into the trailer.

Made it to the track, and missed only one session in finishing the setup. I didn't align the car or complete a large number of other prep items but the car surprised me by turning laps without headache or heartache in the first test (popped in a HPDE session and played nice, but was able to turn it up some).

Keeping the rest short, Saturday the race start didn't really go my way. I started the car in second gear when I should have started in first, then spun in the second lap because my head was buried in thoughts of the gauges. I overshot the entry to a turn just slightly but was in the marbles and that was that. After that I just was too far behind and too slow to make my way back in. However I cruised on to a 4th place finish and got the point I so desperately need for the AZ region championship which I currently slightly lead.

Sunday, with a full night's rest under my belt, things go much better. I was able to hit one of my more realistic goals of dropping into sub 1-minute laptimes (where my peers easily roam, but I had never managed to get to). Not only that, I qualified 2nd behind @ArizonaBOSS and was able to maintain that position throughout the race.

Again was huge in keeping the points race in a tenable situation as no one is immediately gaining ground on me while I get the car back on its feet (wheels).

Nothing of course goes easy, and I never get away clean so here's the gripe list for this event:

• Pump failure on the cool shirt (Saturday). Could really have used that for driver focus
  • The starter solenoid melted and shorted internally. When turning off the car, it pulses the starter constantly until the battery is disconnected
  • The harnesses passing near the headers have been roasted, despite being brand new
  • The rear main seal leaks fairly heavily
  • oil pressure is a problem on this motor, see: this thread
  • brake pads were heavily tapering, see this thread
  • oil temperature was a big problem, I topped out my gauges (and one sender is damaged from carelessness when I was tightening oil lines
  • I still need to setup the car properly, verify rear suspension angles and geometry, pinion angle, alignment, (fix the offset of the k member)
  • have a large number of projects still half done (from electronics, to battery hold down, camber plates, etc)
So I potentially have a lot of work to do for the next event. Its exhausting, so I took this week off. I get pretty worked up over this stuff, but its not at all easy when you want to go after a championship (well, for some people at least). I'm not sure what the rest of the year holds but I really hope by December there's some payoff. I can't wait for the day I'm able to drive my way to a win (still something that eludes me and I have a long way to go)

What's real important

I'd not be able to do this without the external help I've received. My wife is incredibly supportive as are my friends. @steveespo went above and beyond in helping me get set with a motor to make this event without any missed time after blowing up a motor at Chuckwalla* last month. Additionally many other members of the site came over and helped me thrash on the car and pushed me to keep going when I was ready to stop working towards this event.

I really appreciate all the help I get and I hope I'm in some way able to repay it all. (though I do joke often about closing "Chris's car clinic"). With time I'll get better at this racing stuff, though I will say I'll not ever do the week-long last minute thrash on it. The toll is too much for this guy.

*Nothing has come of the last motor analysis so far. Finally sending the crank and balancer off to Ford Performance and from there it will go to ATI.

More pictures of the trash, broken stuff and more to come, but in the interim here's one long-ass video of Sunday's race (31 minutes):

Its really cool to start on the front row (I think a first for me?) alongside the fastest car in the region. I really enjoyed that.

Way to hang in there and hopefully your on Drew’s rear bumper soon!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Chris, watching the video I notice the oil pressure issue appears to be in right handers not lefts. Maybe trap door on the left side of the pan is jammed open. Another note is you were with Drew pretty well on the start straight, 21 Power! and she still spins up pretty well (7700). Makes me smile to hear it again. You mentioned a rear main seal issue, maybe dried out from sitting? wasn't wet before or when I shipped it or I would have changed it. You were driving very well out there keep it up and save the revs for the points!!
Steve

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
On the rear main seal, yes, I believe it just dried out over time. Tends to happen on these things and I remember thinking to myself I should replace it before it went in, but had no time. I've since ordered a new one but not sure when I'll bother to dig that deep.

I will definitely check out the pan itself, the pickup, and likely pull the pump. Travis at Boundary was super helpful and will make sure that if its any sort of a pump issue I'll be taken care of. Great support from him and @OPMustang Tim

If you really want to dive in, all my telemetry data from Sunday's race is available here

Great driving Chris! Those are damn good times on that track from start to finish. Everybody there knew you were gonna tear it up on day two with a good nights rest and you did just that! Amazing what driver rest and little amount of blue tape did. Awesome job man!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I can’t take any credit, Chris did all the hard work and hard driving. We now have to figure out how to keep it together for the rest of the season and maybe put together some Gen 2 or Boss heads for a bit more power at the Nationals at COTA.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel