The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cleaning Windows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it just me or is everyone getting a cloudy film on the glass after just a couple hours? I clean my windows, go for a drive and then i get a haze on all the glass and the mirrors. I have 2 BOSS' and if happens to both of them. I don't get it with my other cars.

Could it be because of the side exhaust? I have tried 2 types of glass cleaner so far with the same results.

I haven't had any issues with the outside glass. Now, the INSIDE glass drives me nuts. It does seem to be really hard to get a good streak free window. It doesn't help that the angles make both the front and rear glass darn near impossible to clean at the base.

I had some thing written in Spanish on the inside of my windshield, I noticed it when they fogged up with the film your talking about. The only thing I could find to clean it off was rubbing alcohol. They don't that smokey look to them anymore, at least not as fast. I try not to turn the defroster on if I don't have either.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have chased this dragon many times. In the end I always always go back to Eagle ONE 20/20 with a microfiber glass cleaning cloth. Use two of them. The first for the intitial wipe then the second to work out the streaks. Works every time. I have tried all other glass cleaners that you can buy at a auto parts store or wal mart. I dont know why I keep trying other brands lol. Got pleanty of glass cleaner for the mirrors and windows in the house now though.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
I just used Adams glass cleaner and Adams glass sealant and both work great on the glass
I have there cleaner and at first it worked good then I noticed after 2-3 days a haze would form. Buff it off with a microfiber glass towel then it would come back again. No matter how hard I would scrub it would haze. Wouldnt notice it at first only when the sun was low in the sky (which is the drive to work in the morning nearly making it impossible to see the road). I gave up on it, it is now in the "dont use on boss pile". I still use there glass sealant :). If there is a secret to get it to work that would be great. I have a gallon of it sitting in the garage lol

My monthly class cleaning goes like this.

Zaino Glass treatment (outside glass only)
eagle one 20/20
adams sealant (outside glass only)
remove sealant excess with eagle one 20/20.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
RoushF150 said:
Is it just me or is everyone getting a cloudy film on the glass after just a couple hours? I clean my windows, go for a drive and then i get a haze on all the glass and the mirrors. I have 2 BOSS' and if happens to both of them. I don't get it with my other cars.

Could it be because of the side exhaust? I have tried 2 types of glass cleaner so far with the same results.

I had terrible fogging issues on my Pantera windows The person who owned the car before me used Rain-X because Panteras are not run with wipers mounted.

Once I got all of the Rain-X clayed off, the windows stopped fogging.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I had terrible fogging issues on my Pantera windows The person who owned the car before me used Rain-X because Panteras are not run with wipers mounted.

Once I got all of the Rain-X clayed off, the windows stopped fogging.

I think is the best explanation so far. My car is garaged and has never been driven in the rain - and I just noticed this unusual film on the glass Sunday when I took it out.

The big question is what is causing this?? I did use Rain-X glass cleaner on my car when I detailed it weeks ago.. but why does this not happen to my other cars? Followed exact same cleaning procedure.

What is causing this unusal film on the galss!!!!

I too noticed the annoying haze formed on the inside of the windows... in particular the rear window. As I learned many years ago after experiencing the very same problem in another car, it was explained to me that the plastic in our cars contains additives that allow it to be more flexible, such as the plastic used on our dash. This haze formed on the inside of the windshield results in the breakdown of the plastic, and over time creates a gas that rises and ultimately adheres to the surfaces of the interior, including the windows. If the car is sitting in the sun all day, the breakdown of the plastic is accelerated. It was my experience in a previous car I owned that the hazing slowed down in time and was almost completely eliminated after a year or so. I too have been breaking out the paper towels and the Invisible Glass spray every couple of weeks or so to tackle this issue.

My Boss is never in the sun all day. Maybe that's why I can still see thru the back window...the inside back window hasn't been cleaned since I got my Boss last October. It does have a film on it you can see when the sun shines thru it but until son gets around to cleaning it I can live with it. It would a real PITA for me to try & do.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
Highpower11 said:
I too noticed the annoying haze formed on the inside of the windows... in particular the rear window. As I learned many years ago after experiencing the very same problem in another car, it was explained to me that the plastic in our cars contains additives that allow it to be more flexible, such as the plastic used on our dash. This haze formed on the inside of the windshield results in the breakdown of the plastic, and over time creates a gas that rises and ultimately adheres to the surfaces of the interior, including the windows. If the car is sitting in the sun all day, the breakdown of the plastic is accelerated. It was my experience in a previous car I owned that the hazing slowed down in time and was almost completely eliminated after a year or so. I too have been breaking out the paper towels and the Invisible Glass spray every couple of weeks or so to tackle this issue.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. Question? does this have anything to do with the quality of the plastics? There are some very hard plastics in the BOSS interior. The quality of the plastics in my GTI are more soft touch and feel far superior to that of the BOSS and I never experienced this issue?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Highpower11 said:

This. VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds off gas and show up on your glass. Basically, it's the 'new car smell' in physical form!

You need a solvent like alcohol or ammonia/windex to dissolve it and use a CLEAN absorbent cloth or newspaper to soak it up and get it off.

It's a huge hassle to clean, but without a solvent...you just smear it around.

VWGTI123 said:
Highpower11 said:

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. Question? does this have anything to do with the quality of the plastics? There are some very hard plastics in the BOSS interior. The quality of the plastics in my GTI are more soft touch and feel far superior to that of the BOSS and I never experienced this issue?

Good question but I don't think it has anything to do with quality given what Ford was trying to accomplish in our cars. I'm no expert (but I do work in the plastics industry) but there are varying compounds of plastics designed to do differing things... some are a harder (nylon based but can become brittle) and some softer and more flexible such as a poly. I'm sure Ford took many factors into consideration when they selected the compound used to fabricate our interior plastics. Aside from the dashboard, I too feel that the plastic, such as the A-Pillar trim pieces, do feel a bit less in terms of the "quality/tactile feel" as compared to other car's interiors, especially a european car, but the pieces are light in weight and fit very well in my opinion. Just gotta get through the "gassing" experience... I need to buy more Invisible Glass!

Grant 302 said:
Highpower11 said:

This. VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds off gas and show up on your glass. Basically, it's the 'new car smell' in physical form!

You need a solvent like alcohol or ammonia/windex to dissolve it and use a CLEAN absorbent cloth or newspaper to soak it up and get it off.

It's a huge hassle to clean, but without a solvent...you just smear it around.

Good tip as I've not tried windex or ammonia as of yet, only the Invisible Glass stuff.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
This is all great information! Thanks to all. I was not familiar with VOC's at all, that film is basically the new car smell ie. plastics releasing gas as mentioned above?

So, the resolution would be to clean all interior parts/plastics in great detail with products such as windex and a clean absorbant micro fiber towel? Would this resolve the issue?

I guess the only downside would be losing that new car smell that so many love, I have to admit it, I still find myself going into the garage to catch a wiff, actually dont want to lose it. :'(

TMO Supporting Vendors