Clutch recommendations

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by 12coBoss, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 12coBoss

12coBoss TMO Advanced

Just wanted to see what everyone is running for clutch setups and what throw out bearing they are using.

A bit of history, I put in the magnum XL and McLeod RXT twin disc a few years ago. I fought issues with the clutch not disengaging at times and went through 2 throw out bearings in the first year, before McLeod replaced the unit. Since then it has worked pretty good until it went out last month.

Upon pulling everything apart this time, I found and issue with the bottom plate and the throw out bearing fell part too. So not trying to decide if I should stay with McLeod or go a different route. I have been using stock throw out bearings as I was told they would work.

I have needed to pull the transmission out for a few years as I have had issues with it while cruising. On track no issues, but when cruising at times it does not want to go from 5th to 4th it will grind, or other times cruising in 4th gear it will pop out. So working getting that repaired too. IMG-0118.jpg IMG-0120.jpg IMG-0124.jpg

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

I have been very happy with my Spec 2+ clutch... its been about three plus years and countless races, still has meat left on it and its also very affordable. Throw out bearings have been fine but I generally change them with each tranny swap... Lol..Stock MT82's last much less then the Spec clutch...

TymeSlayer likes this.
  3. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Ditto here on the Spec 2+

4. drano38

drano38 Wayne

Exedy Hyper Single has become popular also. I have it with the stock tranny. High pedal engagement has been hard to adapt to on the street.
    Good luck on the decision and install.

blacksheep-1 likes this.
  5. Champale

Champale TMO Race

6. racer47

racer47 All I got left is fast

I had a Spec 3 once. I hated it. Worst clutch I ever owned, noisy, chattery, grabby, horrible in city traffic. I have no experience with Spec 2s. I've had several Exedys, all were very good. I have a Mach 500 26 spline for sale, like new, in case you're interested. It will have a slightly higher pedal effort and higher torque rating than stock, but it drives like stock otherwise, works fine with a normal stock throwout bearing, no shims needed, mid stroke engagement point, not super high or on the floor.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/north-lake-ford-mustang-exedy-clutch-26/6999952357.html

VoodooBoss likes this.
  7. drano38

drano38 Wayne

Thanks, I've been following that post as well. Agree, need to get one. I guess it will be my "winter upgrade" project. Wish it could be installed w/o removing the brake reservoir clutch lines.

8. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I’ll be adding clutch stop tomorrow.

I have a separate reservoir for the clutch and hope I can just move that closer to the firewall and not disconnect.

9. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Let us know how it works out Tracy. I have a separate reservoir as well and have the clutch stop inbound.

10. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

I would suggest a single disc clutch like the Exedy Hyper single, my GT500 has the Spec version of that clutch (an Exedy wasn't available) and it has been bullet proof. I've seen so many problem with multi disc clutches that I wouldn't go near them unless you maybe had a blown drag car application. The stock Ford multi disc in my Gt500 only went 24K miles.
    With regards to the throwout bearings, Phoenix has used the stock Ford one for the most part without any issues (the VIR race a couple of years ago may have been one but not even positive about that) I know they've experimented with other T/O bearings..(I think Quatermaster? ) but not absolutely sure where all of that ended up. For you, the stocker should be fine.

Mad Hatter and TymeSlayer like this.
  11. 12coBoss

12coBoss TMO Advanced

I have been leaning to go this way and may do so. Shipping the transmission off to D&D in Michigan tomorrow.