The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cracked OEM headers in a GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parts are available new, but they sure are expensive. Might be able to find one from a part-out or junkyard locally that's way cheaper. You can try to remove it and weld it, but given the vibration this motor is known for I don't know how long that kind of fix would last.

1694386128482.png

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I'm trying to make heads or tails of that, not having a reference to consult. It looks like the primary tube is fully welded to the piece that is broken, but that piece is not fully welded to the manifold flange (see around nut and to the right). Maybe the piece that broke is just used for positioning the primary tube during weld-up of the header, and the primary tube is fully welded to the flange on the inside?

In any case, I'd imagine a good (TIG) welding shop would make quick work of repairing that, if needed. Well, if it's off the car. If you want it fixed on the car, it depends on if there's access to get the "torch" in there. Not sure if I'd want to try welding in-place though, given all the sensitive electronics on cars these days. You might be able to patch it in place by brazing with an oxy-acetylene torch. Either welding or brazing would require cleaning to remove all rust first.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors