The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Intermittent Codes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
I've been getting some intermittent codes. P0025, P0217, P1889, P118A

I've gotten them at various tracks and typically when its 65-75 degrees ambient temps.Anyone have both the electrical and plumbing schematics readily available so me to trace the systems?

The P0217 I think might be due to the coolant overflow cap failing. It happened to my Boss and I got a high CHT and coolant overheating code. Put a new cap on and that was fixed. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Put the car away and tested it yesterday ran car for about 45 mins without driving it to check that fans were working and the car wouldn't even get high enough temp to kick the fans on but I did a continuity test to the system and everything seems fine.

Ran the codes again and only code I got was P188A and the temp was only 93*F. I am hoping its a loose connection because this one has come up many times and temps were about 145*F.

Open to ideas and troubleshooting methods.

TIA.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I used to get P0025 on y 350, it's bank 2 camshaft timing related - over retarded. Check the connectors and wires on the top / front of the drivers valve cover by the airbox. it could be caused by those weak pigtails breaking, shorting out etc. A wiggle can sometimes trigger a rough idle, which i used to get occasionally.

Never resolved it, I think it was the cam phasers (non-r) leaking down in sustained high rpm sweepers. Dealer changed solenoids, wiring, cam position sensors, and I could still get it to pop especially on a warm day after a couple of sessions. Mine never affected power - but did occasionally cause a rough idle after the session.

TMO Supporting Vendors