The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dave Pericak to Vacate Head of Ford Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I despise the electric car trend. I understand why Ford is moving that direction, it's where the money is, but it's so disheartening to see it. I won't be surprised if we start seeing Ford "Performance" stuff slapped on electric Fiestas for a mark-up with no actual performance goals. I hope not, but looking at the foreign turnout at places like the Tokyo Auto Show recently, I'm not optimistic about the sports car's future.

I despise the electric car trend. I understand why Ford is moving that direction, it's where the money is, but it's so disheartening to see it. I won't be surprised if we start seeing Ford "Performance" stuff slapped on electric Fiestas for a mark-up with no actual performance goals. I hope not, but looking at the foreign turnout at places like the Tokyo Auto Show recently, I'm not optimistic about the sports car's future.

I'd respectfully disagree. Have you driven a Tesla? I recently drove a friend's Model S and it is ungodly fast. In "Ludicrous" mode, 760+ HP, and 100% of 600+ lb ft of torque available at zero RPM. Per multiple road tests and Youtube vides it'll run a legit 10 sec 1/4 mile @ well over 120mph. "Electrifying" to say the least.

Sure, with electric cars we'll miss the internal combustion sound we all know and love, but for sheer performance I don't think we'll be disappointed, and surely Ford will offer performance-oriented electric cars to keep up with the competition.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That's fine, but electric cars are mostly a gimmick. The batteries are a toxic waste nightmare from the time the cobalt is mined to make them to the time they die and have to be disposed of. I dread seeing what a battery dump and the area around it is going to look like 20 years from now. ICEs might be pretty dirty, but at least you can work on them with minimal training and recycle a lot of the parts that are used.

No question there are many problems with current battery technology. And it's fair to say that electric cars are really "coal-powered" so long as our electricity mostly comes from coal-fired plants. But with all the auto manufacturers and many other companies, not to mention universities and other research labs, shifting far more resources into electric vehicle R&D, as they become more mainstream over time presumably many of these problems will be mitigated or solved.

That said, there's plenty of life left and efficiency improvements to be made in the good old ICE, which will not be going away anytime soon, and probably not in our lifetime. We'll be enjoying ICE-powered Mustangs for years to come.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors