The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona wrap up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What an insane month, Homestead, Sebring, the ROAR and the 24 (or rather 4-1/2) and the GS race.
GS :
GS was pretty awesome, the car just missed the pole and started P2. We got a drive through for changing lanes at the start and had to go to the rear, Both drivers did an awesome drive, Bob got the car in something like 16th and turned the car over to Billy in 6th, and he took it to the front. The crew had some new members, including the front tire changer, but under my expert tutelage.. (cough .. cough), did a good job. Unfortunately, the car took a piece of debris through the grill that nicked the oil cooler and took us out. I was heartbreaking as we were leading the race at the time. My arch nemesis, the Porsches finished 1 and 2. So we'll have to wait until Sebring to get them.
GTD:
I was working under an engineer for this one, so I have all the excuses I need. In reality, the amount of money it takes to run this 24 is astronomical, we had 11 set of wheels and 21 tire sets at our disposal, that right there is about $250K if you include all the magnesium knock offs, TPMS sensors and misc. hardware. That's just the tires, the car is around $800K there, and to make the story a little shorter, it was written off around hour 4, and I mean, written off, wadded up .. gone. No driver injuries, and that was the end of it. It happened in an area where it's very difficult to see because of the sun, and our car and an Aston touched, spun, took out a Porsche and a Prototype. I'm not sure if they got those back in but our car was history.
I'm going to upload a bunch of pics from my phone, in no particular order, since it's a PITA for me to do it on my lap top.
Also to the TMO member that helped out at the start of the 24 moving tires, I have forgotten your name, but sure appreciated the help.
Enjoy the race from my perspective.

20220129_130112.jpg

20220129_132144.jpg

20220129_093614.jpg

20220128_123535.jpg

20220123_100937.jpg

20220122_154458.jpg

20220121_104844.jpg

20220121_111527.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
This is so very cool! Thank you for sharing. I miss the smell of race fuel and fresh tires. I've existed in the drag racing pits for eons, but my heart is on a road course, just gotta somehow get my body to meet up with my heart. Such cool images!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel