The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Diff fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can smell it just from your description🤣
I hit with meatball flag after meatball flag until I finally said Listen it’s just going to smoke. It’s not broken and it’s not leaking. It’s just gonna do that and then control said “I mean okay as long as it’s not gonna break”
 
I do not remember where the cut off was the calipers fitting or needed an adjustment. My stock 2011 calipers cleared. When I needed replacements the right side was out of stock everywhere. My local Ford dealer managed to find one from 2008 or 2009 sitting on a shelf at a dealer in Hawaii. It rubbed a little before a few strokes of a file. It did not take much and I am still running the same caliper.
 
Like @67GTA said some kind of expansion will help. I am running a JLT expansion tank. Unfortunately they are discontinued. Everything else out the is pricey. I just found this looking around - DR3Z-4022-A "KIT HOSE ASY" . Might be a cheap fix to get you though. I think it was the original TSB for the leaking vents. It's a hose extension that has the vent sitting higher than having it connected straight to the axle. It also gives you a tad of expansion. Just me - I wonder if you could keep going with more hose , like another foot up along the frame attached with zip ties for more volume. The only other thing I would do is use some high temp gasket maker to the fitting and some around the fitting once it's tightened. My JLT fitting ended up leaking. Permatex motoseal fixed the issue. I used that stuff on modified chainsaws with 180-200 psi compression as the alone cylinder gasket. View attachment 97992
The extra hose is going to be my first attempt after putting the correct fluid in
 
Sorry I'm a little late to this thread. So, getting ready to change the diff fluid for the first time (+ about 2500 miles, including maybe one hour track time) since installing 4:10 gears and Ford performance (non-Torsen) LSD. If I buy a gallon of the Redline 75w140 do I need anything else? Amazon says friction modifier is included in the gear oil. Thanks as always.
 
Redline sells 75-140 with and without friction modifier. The lube with modifier was fine in my Ford trac loc without additional modifier.
 
Silly question, but what how does a failed axle seal evidence itself?
I autox'd my boss over the weekend. My partner and I both codrove for a total of 16 runs (8 runs each, half in the morning, half in the afternoon). In the mid afternoon I noticed what smelled like gear oil while adjusting rear time pressures, and by the end of the day I saw lots of drops of fluid on the inside of *both* rear wheel barrels.
 
Differential lube will "normally" overflow from the vent on the top of the axle tube, to the left of differential. The only way differential lube can find it's way to the inside of your wheel barrels is through the axle seals. Are you sure you're seeing diff lube and not brake fluid?
If it is diff lube the distinctive smell is unavoidable, and it leaked past the seals. Make sure your vent is not obstructed, heat will build pressure that could force diff lube past the seals. That it happened on both sides at the same time makes me suspect this. Otherwise, time for new seals.
 
I'm not 100% confident its diff lube. I guess it would have been brake fluid, but the odor suggests otherwise. It was quite pungent, different from brake fluid.
The car has 127 miles, so I would not be surprised if the vent is clogged or otherwise obstructed/needs to be replaced. I haven't inspected it yet.
 
Top