The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford 6R80E fluid for previous overheating issues - Mercon LV vs. XL12 (did Ford change the fluid since 2013?) or better fluid recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So I had 20 quarts of fluid run through my car at Ford Quicklane as part of my seasonal maintenance.

According to Quicklane, the part number was XT-10QLVC for the swap, and it's Mercon LV.

I looked it up, and it apparently replaced some XT-12 fluid for all Ford transfer cases.

The car never had a hot transmission with the old fluid, and it's now getting hot and throwing me out of Sportshift mode after ~15ish minutes and I believe this fluid may be a culprit.

Does anyone have any idea what the viscosity would be and/or recommend a replacement fluid to circumvent this issue? Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel