The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 dragoon ‘21 Mach1 HP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I like the family here & happy I stumbled on the website when I did. It’s a good place. TMO has more to offer me here, as a track enthusiast, than any other site as we track the damn cars !! Some of the other key board warriors - not all by any means - on the other track sub-forum sites would be rooted out here in short order. Oh yeah, we track our cars here !!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
This forum is my Go-to source for all things mustang track related. And... I am only 6' and 185 pounds so I am not the biggest TMO fan!! :hellyeah:
Oh....that hurt.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Got the new pads installed in the front & bled the brake fluid to get some fresh stuff into the calipers. Cleaned up the wheel housings as there were way too many track days between then and now, it‘s amazing where the track klag gets into. Cleaned the wheels, there was 3 track days of brake dust caked up. Old fluid was pretty nasty but now the calipers got some Ford PM20 DOT 4 LV performance juice. Stayed with factory pads as the OEM ones gave me some good service. First car with FoMoCo Brembo top load pad exchange, calipers remained on the knuckle. I need to get in a burnished new pads to rotor shake down run yet. Factory rotors are well within service limits as there’s not even a wear ridge on the rotor faces. Car has 3,140 miles on it with 1,036 of those on the track since new and 14 track days. Oh yeah, changed the oil and filter also & it turn out to be a not so much Exxon Valdez experience. Ready now for the NWSC weekend at Blackhawk next Saturday/Sunday.

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

IMG_3078.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Keep in mind I worked at a Ford Dealership for quite awhile and I like a lot of their products, especially Ford Performance, but I would suggest you start using something like Motel 600 or 660 for brake fluid as you get faster and faster. I know many say Ford Brake fluid is quite good, and it is as a Manufacturer fill, but with today's speeds and high quality brakes, things deserve an even higher standard, imho.

I will also note that Forum Sponsor , Vorshlag, has a great solution for many who don't want to use brake ducts, and that is their large brake ducting plates ( go on the A-Arms ) replacing the little ones from the factory ( or add when none are on your factory build ). Sorry, just a safety issue I find with many at HPDEs or other track events , where drivers are using DOT 4 , but not brands with really high temp tolerances.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Keep in mind I worked at a Ford Dealership for quite awhile and I like a lot of their products, especially Ford Performance, but I would suggest you start using something like Motel 600 or 660 for brake fluid as you get faster and faster. I know many say Ford Brake fluid is quite good, and it is as a Manufacturer fill, but with today's speeds and high quality brakes, speed and pads deserve an even higher standard, imho.

I will also note that Forum Sponsor , Vorshlag, has a great solution for many who don't want to use brake ducts, and that is their large brake ducting plates ( go on the A-Arms ) replacing the little ones from the factory ( or add when none from the factory ). Sorry, just a safety issue I find with many at HPDEs or other track events , where drivers are using DOT 4 , but not brands with really high temp tolerances.
Suggestions well taken, great advice. I stayed with the factory pads as the rotors didn’t need replacing, same pad compound. Will go with a more track oriented pad when the rotors get swapped out. The Ford fluid has a dry boiling point of 560*F and the Motul RBF 600 is 594*F and the 660 is 617*. The Ford fluid was really close to the 600 so for this go around as I didn’t touch the rears, I stuck with factory. When it’s time to get all new rotors with pads, I’ll upgrade to the next level with a full flush. I just didn’t want to mix the two brands.
Yes, the larger duct plates from Vorshlag are on the list of mods, just didn’t procure them yet. Slow but sure as this mach1 is still so new to me and I need more seat time to get faster and faster.
I honor your “imho” and take it to heart as I respect where you’re coming from Bill !!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Suggestions well taken, great advice. I stayed with the factory pads as the rotors didn’t need replacing, same pad compound. Will go with a more track oriented pad when the rotors get swapped out. The Ford fluid has a dry boiling point of 560*F and the Motul RBF 600 is 594*F and the 660 is 617*. The Ford fluid was really close to the 600 so for this go around as I didn’t touch the rears, I stuck with factory. When it’s time to get all new rotors with pads, I’ll upgrade to the next level with a full flush. I just didn’t want to mix the two brands.
Yes, the larger duct plates from Vorshlag are on the list of mods, just didn’t procure them yet. Slow but sure as this mach1 is still so new to me and I need more seat time to get faster and faster.
I honor your “imho” and take it to heart as I respect where you’re coming from Bill !!
Ford DOT 5.1 is just as good as all of the available race fluids except Castrol SRF and maybe Endless Racing. @Black Boss educated me. I use DOT4 LV in my clutch system and the DOT 5.1 has replaced the Castrol for my brake system. You will not boil it and it doesn't attack seals like SRF does.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Ford DOT 5.1 is just as good as all of the available race fluids except Castrol SRF and maybe Endless Racing. @Black Boss educated me. I use DOT4 LV in my clutch system and the DOT 5.1 has replaced the Castrol for my brake system. You will not boil it and it doesn't attack seals like SRF does.

Will agree on SRF, it does destroy seals and we saw plenty of that happen in the Motorsports Division of the Dealership I used to work at.
Thanks gentlemen, including the thumbs up guys, for steering me away from the SRF stuff. Won’t be using that product plus it‘s boo koo expensive. Nobody wants to buy crap that destroys car parts, that’s what us track enthusiasts are for !! Well, not to destroy, but you know what I mean ?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Thanks gentlemen, including the thumbs up guys, for steering me away from the SRF stuff. Won’t be using that product plus it‘s boo koo expensive. Nobody wants to buy crap that destroys car parts, that’s what us track enthusiasts are for !! Well, not to destroy, but you know what I mean ?
I've been using Wilwood 600+ fluid for years, its reasonably priced and I have yet to overheat it.
I just rebuilt my calipers and after 5 years the seals were still supple and clean.

wil-290-6209_mm.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Got the new merch the other day, all washed up & ready to hit the track this weekend !! 2 days at the Blackhawk Farms Raceway, it will be great, little chance of rain but hot and humid.

IMG_3092.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Another NWSC weekend event at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in the books. Tent camped Friday & Saturday nights with great weather EXCEPT Sunday as they posted a heat advisory. Reached 97* just after 1:00pm with dew point at 71*, that’s jungle weather there !! Car did ok as CHT, diff temp and oil temp were at 230* !! Nannies keep full power but the tire pressures climbed to 38 psi so air bleeding was necessary. I don’t know track surface temperatures but my tires stuck pretty damn good. I’d imagine the guys with slick takeoffs were having a hoot. Met some new track enthusiasts with purpose built track cars to your unmolested GT350. Some really really fast cars out there during the weekend. My wife and I enjoyed our time there as always, tracking the car and getting away from the homestead.

IMG_3098.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Were you able to get the oil temperature and oil pressure gauge to read correctly when you swapped them in?
Steve
Sorry for the 3 week delay @steveespo. Yes, the gauge cluster was plug and play. The oil pressure mirrored each other, digital dash & “analog“. So I figure if the pressure was same, oil temp was accurate enough to trust it. I know Ford uses a combination of metrics from different sensors to arrive at a gauge reading so somehow the old vacuum wiring is “somehow” now related to oil temperature.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I will check the wiring diagram but it must be that the gauges are "smart" and are connected to the CAN BUS and when the correct signal is detected they pick it up a display it. I will order a shelby gauge pack. thanks
This is what I ordered. Some sites have a “core” charge for what ever reason. I bought for like $240 shipped. Not that it mattered to me, this cluster doesn’t support “my color”.

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg

Last edited:
Another NWSC weekend event at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in the books. Tent camped Friday & Saturday nights with great weather EXCEPT Sunday as they posted a heat advisory. Reached 97* just after 1:00pm with dew point at 71*, that’s jungle weather there !! Car did ok as CHT, diff temp and oil temp were at 230* !! Nannies keep full power but the tire pressures climbed to 38 psi so air bleeding was necessary. I don’t know track surface temperatures but my tires stuck pretty damn good. I’d imagine the guys with slick takeoffs were having a hoot. Met some new track enthusiasts with purpose built track cars to your unmolested GT350. Some really really fast cars out there during the weekend. My wife and I enjoyed our time there as always, tracking the car and getting away from the homestead.

View attachment 88722
What trailer dooor extensions are those

I would say it would be impossible to say who on this Forum is the " Biggest " supporter because there are so many passionate members. When you consider how so many contribute it then becomes apparent the important thing about TMO is the passion so many have for this place. The beauty is so many contribute in so many ways in so many different areas, that members are often " Huge " in their area of assistance , contribution and fellowship imho.

Many are aware I am Mustang less at present, but I would not leave TMO with guys like you, Blacksheep, TMS, Madhatter, Dragoon, AZBoss, JDee, 302Bob, Patrick Stapler, Dave_W, 67GTA, DaveW, Flyhalf, LudaChris, Steve68Cougar, PatientZero, biggsy, mavisky, VoodooBoss, Tymeslayer, etc. Dang , it is just impossible to list all the contributing members as the Forum continues to get new members every month.
Do I fall in the etc? Ha

TMO Supporting Vendors