The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 dragoon ‘21 Mach1 HP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
One example I was involved with and kinda made me rethink our track time with these organizations...
So we’re rethinking who and how we spend out track dollars with and NASA seems to be the ticket.

The action on track could be forgiven if the driver owned up to it and was reprimanded by the chief instructor. Tha fact that the organizers did not act, and the attitude the driver had with your wife are two big reasons not to drive with them again.

@dragoon, if you haven't let the organizer know that you're no longer attending their events because of this experience, I suggest you do so. If you just stop showing up, the organizer doesn't know why, and doesn't know that they may have a problem in their safety process they should correct.

In such a message, concentrate on process over person. You can call out the other driver and what happened to you as an example, but think of that particular incident as water under the bridge. Instead, emphasize how you think the organizer should handle a similar situation in the future. And how that improves safety and enjoyment for (the majority of) everyone involved. This lets the organizer view your input as someone genuinely trying to improve their events and the experiences of all participants, rather than someone just complaining about one incident.

Lastly, think what your answer would be if the organizer said, "That's a great suggestion. If we implement this, would you be willing to be in charge of it?" Don't let it be a barrier to your message to the organizer, but you might let it inform the scope of your suggested changes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
@dragoon, if you haven't let the organizer know that you're no longer attending their events because of this experience, I suggest you do so. If you just stop showing up, the organizer doesn't know why, and doesn't know that they may have a problem in their safety process they should correct.

In such a message, concentrate on process over person. You can call out the other driver and what happened to you as an example, but think of that particular incident as water under the bridge. Instead, emphasize how you think the organizer should handle a similar situation in the future. And how that improves safety and enjoyment for (the majority of) everyone involved. This lets the organizer view your input as someone genuinely trying to improve their events and the experiences of all participants, rather than someone just complaining about one incident.

Lastly, think what your answer would be if the organizer said, "That's a great suggestion. If we implement this, would you be willing to be in charge of it?" Don't let it be a barrier to your message to the organizer, but you might let it inform the scope of your suggested changes.
Thanks for your insight as somewhat of what you suggested took place after the event. We talked to the organizer face to face with a relaxed atmosphere explaining that they need to implement better vetting & if peoples skill set lets them run like that, put them in advanced group and get some more information from said “car club” to know where to place them. Also asked to have better communication with the drivers about passing in corners which is allowed in advance run group. This ”car club” was an “invite” to that days event by the organizers and yet have returned to doing any events with the organizer. We have attended only 2 more track days with this outfit and it’s been a lot better. Kinda sorta back to regular programming so far. Thanks again for your response @Dave_W as its always better when cooler heads prevail and everyone is on the same page.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
"everyone on the same page" is what want to achieve..........everyone reading the same book is what you hope for..............fast forward to whatever page you're on...............
Back in the day at the shop, we had a system of organization so everyone knew what was what. It’s based off of the Toyota Production System. Part of the system is housekeeping and everything had a place so everyone knew where to find a tool, fixture or a piece of equipment. Things were kept in order and the process of production was the same way, all the time, every time. It was a system that worked with little deviation. Everyone was on the same page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Toyota_Way

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I will make it easy for you Mark, Memorial day weekend. Nasa @ Mid-o. Join group 2.
Thanks @Vettel-ish !! That looks doable for sure. Paddock queen says YES !! That was pretty easy as you suggested. Are you going to be there ? I have the registration page open now, 2 days at $519, not bad. Mid-Ohio is a new track for us, never been there so going to sign up for HPDE 1 first to get a checkride with so HPDE 2 is granted, their rules.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Thanks @Vettel-ish !! That looks doable for sure. Paddock queen says YES !! That was pretty easy as you suggested. Are you going to be there ? I have the registration page open now, 2 days at $519, not bad. Mid-Ohio is a new track for us, never been there so going to sign up for HPDE 1 first to get a checkride with so HPDE 2 is granted, their rules.

100% I will be. I will sign up for all 3 days. It will be the first test for me pulling the new rig and sleeping in it.

Brand new surface as well! Just got repaved. Very flowing track with some good elevation.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
100% I will be. I will sign up for all 3 days. It will be the first test for me pulling the new rig and sleeping in it.

Brand new surface as well! Just got repaved. Very flowing track with some good elevation.
I’m going to register for the weekend since that is the only option for HPDE 1 & 2. So 2 days it is. Do they have provisions for staying at the track overnight in the paddock or is camping allowed ? I‘ll have to get the mid-0 web site up and plan accordingly. I’m glad you got me to do this, sometimes I have to have a push.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
dragoon, you seem to me as a care free soul, who likes to go fast...........like me when I was younger........age pares those goals down a bit..........I'm learning the hard way................
Mid-Ohio is new track for me so maybe not fast, but enough to keep me young!! We are the same age I believe, I go to 69 years around the sun by the time the end of May comes around………….

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
You are as young as you feel................fast may be another deal........I thank my Maker every day I see since 2/28/22.........when I could have been gone!!!!!!!!!!!!............I still have nightmares of that day!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have my own story to tell as well my friend. No nightmares though but a lot of mobility issues.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Done, paid receipt in my mailbox. NASA Mid-Ohio, May 25 & 26 - HPDE 1 with hopes to get to HPDE 2 after checkride. OK, I’m pumped !!

Hell yeah!! Yes we need to check with Nasa and the track about sleeping on site. Should not be an issue from what I know. We stayed on site @ Autobahn with Nasa last year. In fact 30-40% of the grid stayed in there trailers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Hell yeah!! Yes we need to check with Nasa and the track about sleeping on site. Should not be an issue from what I know. We stayed on site @ Autobahn with Nasa last year. In fact 30-40% of the grid stayed in there trailers.
The NASA website has this as I’m sure you know. I clicked on the event schedule & that answered some camping questions plus some others that kinda explained the what what.

The above link says “April” but it is for the May event ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
The Mid-Ohio website doesn’t offer much info about the NASA weekend but has enough info to make me feel I made the right choice in going there !! Thanks again @Vettel-ish

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Next week I’ll email the NASA rep ( Jay Andrew ) with some information questions and report back here.

Side bar note : I have started an instagram account about 2 weeks ago. Had never been on nor an account with this platform, it’s all new to me. I have seen fabman, tony302mustang , and a few others On there & follow them.
It’s : 369dragoon
I made it a private account because in the first 1 hour of having it, I had over 200 “followers“ with an alphabet or language that was not taught to me. I deleted those & made it private and now I recognize my people.

TMO Supporting Vendors