The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dredging up the Manifold debate again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I saw this article today, made me start to rethink the GT350 manifold and gravitate back to the cobra jet....... Or a GT intake????

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/engine/coyote-intake-manifold-shootout-gt-gt350-boss-302-and-cobra-jet/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=coyote-intake-manifold-shootout-gt-gt350-boss-302-and-cobra-jet

I disagree with the articles statement that the GT manifold is the best for road racing and autocross. Autocross maybe, but not road racing with the continual high rpm many of us turn.

One real downside is the GT350 manifold did not have working motion control valves.

I do agree that it really comes down to intended use. If it was a street car, I might consider the GT intake.

I think if you are using the manifold for road racing with long tube headers, the choice clearly comes down to the Cobra Jet or GT350 manifold. For an S197, I would use the Ford Cobra Jet Performance Pack and for an S550 I would look at the components of the GT350 Performance Pack. This is mostly due to CAI fitment as well as the differences between the S197 and S550 with regard to PCM, tuning, etcetera to control the different throttle bodies and MCVs.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I agree with you, I put the Cobrajet intake back at the top of my list. Oddly enough a friend has a 2014 GT with boss manifold,93 tune, CAI, 85mm TB and a set of BBK LTH catless with straight pipes. He is down 25 ft/lbs of torque at 1000 rpm higher then my boss with Kooks Lth and 93 tune. My torque peaks at 3500rpm. We had near identical 403 hp peaks

You can see what a good pair of headers can do! As Lund and AED often tell you, the biggest gains can be seen on the exhaust side.

TMO Supporting Vendors